Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Not quilting but rather sewing related

Blog Entries

Not quilting but rather sewing related

This is a clever tute on how to hem jeans without cutting off the original hem. I'm 5'2" and most time have a hard time finding lengths that fit me without alterations, which I hate to do, but this might be actually easier.

http://www.nationalsewingcircle.com/...-jeans-003834/

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Have seen this before but forgot to save it. great tute. Thanks for sharing!

That is cute, but I doubt I'll ever do it. I used to have a spool of thread that was marked "jeans thread" and made the hem look like the jeans hem. But now I don't really care that much. Some of the jeans I buy don't have the yellow/orange thread on the hem to begin anyway with so I just hem all of them with dark blue.

Also, I use those little hump jumper things which work great for me.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    I love the last line, "If they get close enough to inspect your work, just kick them!" Lol! This line would work for quilt police! Mwahahaha!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    You are lucky....I am only 4'11"! I don't know who they measure 'petite' jeans for, but it's not me! Thanks for the site. You know....If I had saved all the cut-off fabric from all the pants and skirts that have been altered for me over my lifetime....I could make quilts for the world!! (Maybe a strange fabric collection!)

I do this all the time. Since I learned this technique, I never worry about length anymore. I use my Costco Brother XR-52 machine for it and it has no problem going over the thick seams. I have also done this for the daughter in law on her jeans.
    Alyce

I will probably never use this idea -- even though it looks interesting. I have just the opposite problem. I am the one that always wished for a couple more inches for the length.

I'm short and will not use this method. I just cut mine off, serge the raw edge and hem them. I don't mind that they don't have that orange looking thread on them. If someone notices my hem and think it looks odd, oh well, that's their opinion.

Thank you for sharing. A great way to take up a jeans hem.

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    I love this idea! I've had to hem every pair of jeans I ever purchased for years; if I buy "short" they shrink up too short, so I have to buy regular length and hem. I too, loved the last sentence of this video, "...just kick 'em" - lol. Here is another video on the same subject, by Ron Appel of "Man Sewing". He discusses needle and thread requirements and shows how to cut the excess jeans material, as well as suggesting DMS stitches to finish the cut edges if you should so choose.

http://land.mansewing.com/hemming-pants/
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet