Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Now I know what I've been doing wrong! >

Now I know what I've been doing wrong!

Now I know what I've been doing wrong!

Old 01-16-2012, 10:32 AM

I have this book also and read that passage. It is hilarious to me to think of doing all that before I sew. I didn't dress like that in the 60s when I was sewing for school! My mother would have thought I was nuts. I did have a friend who said she would wash up, put on a new top, and put on lipstick when her husband came home from work. I didn't do that either and felt I was lucky to wash my hands after a diaper change of my son! Do any of you remember a woman who was also advocating just being wrapped in Saran Wrap when you met your husband at the door? I didn't do that either!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 AM

actually my mother would not let us sew on her machine in our playclothes, we had to wash-up and change but it had a knee controller power so we could wear slippers not shoes like with our aunt treadle
Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 AM

get up-DH brings me a cup of coffee-after 23 years he has learned not to talk to me before I've had at least one cup if he wants a understandable conversation!-LOL-
I shower, wash my hair, comb it out and then dress-in sweats or pull on cords and a sweat shirt in the winter or a tee in the summer. Only makeup is lip gloss so my lips don't crack!
Shoes??-I wasn't born with them on my feet so see no reason to wear them now. When I worked I wore them to the office and then stuck them under my desk until I left at night!
I was raised when "ladies" didn't wear pants/slacks and always wore white gloves. Don't forget the socks/nylons-and those seams better be straight!- and hats! So glad today is different!
I wouldn't make it if I had to do all that stuff again!!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:08 AM

lol, thanks for the laugh !!! 1949 - that was my birth year and I can always remember my mom doing exactly that. She was a stay at home mom and sewed probably every day. She always wore a dress (one that she made) and looked nice but casual. I never saw her in pants till much later in her life and that was a stretch... I never saw her in a bathrobe, sweats, or jeans ever. She was so sweet and naturally pretty but she did always wear lipstick and pencil in those eyebrows and guess what I have to do the same. I would rather not scare myself when I look in the mirror and the older I get the scarier I look in the morning so I am ok with a little help that way but hardly have any dresses in my closet and I work full time. At work I am the most "dressed up" person there and I am casual for sure. Oh well, how times have changed.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Do you guys remember those old "Lemon Pledge" commercials where the woman would be dusting the grand piano in her chiffon dress? That's what I immediately thought of reading this post! And watching this old commercial really brought back memories of my childhood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUF7Pz0GvGc
Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 PM
elm

Originally Posted by Linda - K. View Post
I have this book also and read that passage. It is hilarious to me to think of doing all that before I sew. I didn't dress like that in the 60s when I was sewing for school! My mother would have thought I was nuts. I did have a friend who said she would wash up, put on a new top, and put on lipstick when her husband came home from work. I didn't do that either and felt I was lucky to wash my hands after a diaper change of my son! Do any of you remember a woman who was also advocating just being wrapped in Saran Wrap when you met your husband at the door? I didn't do that either!!!
I remember the Saran Wrap idea. Joy of Sex was the book I think. Laughed myself silly at the idea and never did it. Seem to me it would be even more uncomfortable than pointy toe high heel shoes.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:21 PM

"I remember the Saran Wrap idea. Joy of Sex was the book I think. Laughed myself silly at the idea and never did it. " I did meet my husband wrapped in a bath towel several times when he came home and we both loved it. It was hard to arrange with 5 kids, but well worth it. I highly recommend it!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:40 PM

That was pretty good...lol
Old 01-16-2012, 01:54 PM

I should sell my fabric and machines now...it's hopeless!

I greet anyone who comes to my door with whatever I have on and however I look......
Old 01-16-2012, 02:46 PM

too funny!!!