Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Nursing Pads for NICU

Nursing Pads for NICU

Just made almost 100 of these 4" x 5" pads. Mom's who are nursing and have a preemie in the hospital put these pads in their bras. The nurses put them under the preemies head so he/she smells his/ her mom & her milk. Helps with bonding. They are made of soft flannel (no padding between the 2 layers).
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a wonderful idea! So kind of you to make all of these cute little pads. Bless you.

Blog Entries
    Bless you, a great idea that has to be appreciated !

Power Poster
    Cute fabrics and wonderful it helps the premies. I saw a story on a premie nurse who has invented a soft pacifier with a spot for the tubes to go through that helps.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    What a great idea! Most people don't know that breast milk smells like amniotic fluid....which happens to be a pleasant smell, that "new baby" scent we all love!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

......and then do these get thrown away, washed or what.....not having nursed, nor had any involvement with oremies....

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    What a great idea! Most people don't know that breast milk smells like amniotic fluid....which happens to be a pleasant smell, that "new baby" scent we all love!

Jan in VA
    Huh! You learn something new every day!

I don't have kids but I was there when my sister had her son. One of the first things she said after they put him into her arms was, "He already smells like a baby!" I thought that was so cute but it did make me wonder where that "baby" smell comes from. Now I know!

bearland - it's awesome you make these! Something I'd never have thought of.

No idea what happens to them after they are placed under the baby's head. I would have to assume they are either washed or thrown away. Not a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    ......and then do these get thrown away, washed or what.....not having nursed, nor had any involvement with oremies....

Sounds like a great idea. I am a volunteer "sewist" for the local hospital.........will have to do some research. Hmmm.

Power Poster
    If the pads are not washed, one could just use flannel ( that had been washed With an unscented detergent) that was cut to size and placed in the bras.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When I breastfed my youngest I purchased pads and they were uncomfortable and scratchy. I made a few of these for myself. Much more comfortable and a lot less expensive. I made them big enough to stuff the purchased pads inside. I leaked a lot and kept a bottle nearby to catch what I could.