Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The Oddness of Estate Sales >

The Oddness of Estate Sales

The Oddness of Estate Sales

Old 04-18-2011, 08:09 PM

As an avid estate sale shopper and a collector of many things, I have told my sons to call in my friend that is a dealer and have him do my final sale. I want a big sign posted to read "Do not be sad! I got most of this at an estate sale and I had so much fun collecting. Please buy what you like and take good care of it. I gave it a great home. Now it is your turn so please do the same."
Old 04-19-2011, 04:50 AM

That has been on my mind for several years. If my dh passes first, I want to sell - or TRY to - everything, so when I go, just the basics are left. There is no one who would even want to go through all the chotskys and treasures I have.so..............
Old 04-19-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Estate sales totally depress me.
I agree with you. To have a person's home "invaded" and their life's possessions sold to the public seems so sad. I picture the new babies, first days of school and wonderful Christmases they must have had, and it about breaks my heart.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 AM

Once you are gone, you're not gonna give a squirt what happens to your stuff. I know I've come into possession of many things from people who have passed and I always tell myself that they are probably up there pleased that their things went into loving hands.

I had a boatload of vintage feed sack blocks that someone hand stitched. I didn't feel at all bad for putting them in bundles and selling them off. That person's spirit and hard work is valued and now spread out all over the country in the hands of many people who will turn them into works of art.

That's cool.

When I kick the bucket, someone who loves to create things will end up with all of my stuff, and that's fine with me. I just hope they get current market value for all of that fabric ;)
Old 04-19-2011, 05:36 AM

Whispers 38, thank you, thank you for lightening this thread. I was feeling kind of sad and depressed, thinking of those families and their posessions and then you came along with your last joke, and I had a wonderful laugh to exit this thread with.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:36 AM

I find them sad also. I love history and family and can imagine the family living there. It is interesting to see into a little piece of their life. I have aquired some very nice things and always hope the family knows that the items will be cherished in a new home. I look around my home and wonder what my kids will actually want. I don't care if they sell it or give it to Goodwill. I just can't stand the thought of things going into a dumpster especially when there are so many people who are in need.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 AM

It's not the quilt and sewing stuff that disturbs me; in fact, I worry about that least. It's all the other stuff. Especially the little pieces of evidence that indicate the person left suddenly.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 AM

I always think of the people whose lives are represented at these sales , but..if no one bought the items, they would most likely be thrown away.That would be sadder than ever to me.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:58 AM

I've never been to a true estate sale. Auctions are more common in this area. Those can be a real zoo. I found myself last Saturday at one, and nearly left before it started, looking at all the accumulated stuff of one couple. It took two auction companies, working simultaneously, all day to complete the auction. There was a reason, though, that I was there. So I waited.

The entire experience has reminded me to downsize before I am forced to.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:26 AM

Your message strikes a chord with me this month. Except the strangers are my much older sisters, the eldest is the executor. I cared for my mother for the last 30 odd years of her life.

When I enter estate sales like these, I pray. "God, guide me to the things this person would want me to treasure." Then I move forward in faith, and respect the one that got to go home.