Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oh no!!!! Polar vortex is coming back >

Oh no!!!! Polar vortex is coming back

Oh no!!!! Polar vortex is coming back

Old 01-18-2014, 02:26 PM

Sorry my previous post sounded so mean. There must be those of you that have no previous history of this type of weather and have no reason to prepare for it. I hope everyone is OK and can quilt to their heart's desire, much love to you...GrammaNan
Old 01-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

My BIL is a meteorologist. He laughed his butt off when he heard on tv about the POLAR VORTEX a comin. LOLOLOL
Old 01-18-2014, 04:32 PM

It is a real Weather term-----why are people so determined to negative when it comes to something scientific.
The polar vortex, as it sounds, is circulation of strong, upper-level winds that normally surround the northern pole in a counterclockwise direction -- a polar low-pressure system. These winds tend to keep the bitter cold air locked in the Arctic regions of the Northern Hemisphere. It is not a single storm. On occasion, this vortex can become distorted and dip much farther south than you would normally find it, allowing cold air to spill southward.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:33 AM

I think the reason people are negative is that the media is acting as if the actual polar vortex came down to the US when that is not the case at all. They aren't being negative about the science of it. Just the media's handling of it. If I see the word "snowpocalypse" one more time... argh.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:19 AM

I never complain about the weather as there is nothing I can do about it, except move. It is January after all, it will be spring soon, when the subject will change from cold to rain. I have learned to just take one day at a time and enjoy each day.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:42 AM

We finally got a "normal" Wisconsin winter. It's been a long time since we had that. And this isn't even very cold. We've had it much colder in years gone by. In '96, we had -42 here. We just deal with it and get over it. And be careful.

There is much more winter coming. We can get snow in May sometimes, so enjoy the fact that we have a way to keep warm in our homes; and appreciate the beauty of the season. What I don't like is the wind, but I bundle up.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
We finally got a "normal" Wisconsin winter. It's been a long time since we had that. And this isn't even very cold. We've had it much colder in years gone by. In '96, we had -42 here. We just deal with it and get over it. And be careful.

There is much more winter coming. We can get snow in May sometimes, so enjoy the fact that we have a way to keep warm in our homes; and appreciate the beauty of the season. What I don't like is the wind, but I bundle up.
We've gotten snow in June before. It pretty much ruined the crops.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:24 PM

I'm from the south and don't remember having so many continuous cold days in years. Ready for Spring!!!!!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:59 PM

Polar vortex is the new "global warming" fear tactic.

In layman's terms it is ..........................nature doing her duty as usual.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:17 PM

As was described by the little quiz I took about what type of Star Wars character I am, I'm Obie, and I like to be the peace keeper. So I looked up Polar Vortex. Here is the link. According to the article it was first discovered in 1853.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_vortex