Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ok, Where Did The Cat Lady Go - I have a ? >

Ok, Where Did The Cat Lady Go - I have a ?

Ok, Where Did The Cat Lady Go - I have a ?

Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 AM

I agree that she might do well with a buddy, and I also agree that a younger cat would probably bend to fit the household more easily than an older cat already set in her ways. I don't think it has to be a little kitten. A "catten" (adolescent/"teenager" ) would be okay too, and they're often hard for shelters to place. Schmoo can boss a younger one around and teach it the rules of the house; an older cat might be too established in its personality to fit in easily.

Some cats do just fine as only children (my cat is one of them); others really need a feline friend. It sounds like Schmoo may be one of them.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:55 AM

My neighbor had 2 dogs awhile back that were like sisters, one of them died. For months afterwards the other dog would lay on the grave in his backyard and howl. It was a bit eerie, but sad as well knowing that she was grieving.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:53 AM

Hi ladies, well, Schmoo is fine, she was just at the vet a couple of weeks ago. She isn't picking up my sadness, because Smokey wasn't my favorite cat, I'm more sad that Schmoo is changing her personality.

I didn't want to go with a male cat, cause I'm not a big fan of boy kitties.

However, I will get some Feliway diffusers and I ended up going to a cat rescue today and found a beautiful young 2 year old female tabby, very small, like Schmoo and extremely gentle and laid back. I will pick her up at the end of the week.

I didn't want to do a kitten, because it seems all my cats have been 8 or 9 years apart and I want to get them a little closer in age so when the older one gets really old the younger one isn't bugging the older one to play. It was very distressing to Smokey to have Schmoo bugging him all the time when he wanted to just be left alone and the same with my Pumpkin and Smokey when he was young.

All your suggestions were wonderful and I think the only questionable move was to get a female instead of a male, but I was afraid the male would mark territory before a female would. I'd been down that road with Smokey when he was young and sometimes they don't stop after they are fixed.

I'll let you know how it goes, my vet told me to keep the new cat in a room by herself for a couple of weeks and let them sniff each other through the door. Then start supervising the two when we are home. I'm sure I'll find myself in that room alot, loving her all up and stuff. I hope Schmoo doesn't become jealous.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Congratulations, and good luck! Hopefully Schmoo will take comfort in the company of her new kitty!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:00 PM

Thanks, I just finished cleaning out my son's old room. He's been gone a year and I haven't cleaned his room out. Maybe secretly wishing he'd come home.

Thanks again for all your insight and letting me be totally neurotic. I'm really good at that when it comes to the kittehs. I just wish they could tell me what they really wanted.

FREE Quilting Newsletter