Old school bandanas

Old 04-25-2022, 09:51 AM

Default Old school bandanas

Back when my father was alive he kept a few bandanas in his top drawer next to his regular handkerchiefs. Back to present day, my husband carries a bandana folded up in his back pocket. I bought a few new ones last year and the lack of quality is really noticeable. They are thin, almost see through..lol and not absorbent at all.
I can't seem to find any good ones anywhere. So hubby had a suggestion, make some...now that is no problem. The problem is I need a fabric comparable to good quality bandanas from back in the day. Any suggestions?
Old 04-25-2022, 11:01 AM

Good luck. Maybe from estate sales? I was kind of surprised that a couple of places that listed the weight per yard, but both were primarily polyester.
https://www.fabric.com/buy/0268281/b...ematic-_-Pages is 2.69 oz per square yard.
https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.co...39462239436915 says that it is approx. 5 oz per yard, but is 60" wide In the reviews it said it was thinner than expected.

I'm wondering if https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Dry-...981945-3002369 or this https://www.amazon.com/House-Bandana...981945-3002369 would be better.

While searching on Amazon, I noticed that on the same page one place said 100% cotton and right below said that was polyester cotton blend.

Perhaps make one out of regular quilting cotton and see if that would be workable. Because the two Amazon links claim to be quilting fabric.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 04-25-2022, 01:47 PM

I have no advice, but I had noticed the last bandannas that I got for the dogs were defnitely cheaper, thinner fabric that the old ones that I used to buy.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

A few years ago there was a fabric line that was bandanas, maybe some is still out there?
Old 04-25-2022, 07:44 PM

I was thinking about this today. As I was surprised about the weight being given and thought that it might be a mailing weight and not the actual weight of the fabric. Just cause I like playing with numbers, I checked the 5 oz per yard and determined that if it is based on 60"x36" that if it was the same weight (2.69 oz) as the square yard that it would weigh about 4.5 oz per yard.

Another thought is that the "quilting" bandana fabric may not have the vivid colors on the back. I have some from years ago and i it seems like that was the case (lighter on the back).

Old 04-25-2022, 08:03 PM

I wanted bandanas for stocking stuffers and after coming up empty at usual places, Dollar General had some more to my liking so I got them. One store Employee tried to tell me EVERYONE uses disposable now. Guys working out in the elements DO NOT carry a box of tissues. Add bandanas to the long list of good things no longer available. I carry a man’s white handkerchief all the time. They’re old, thick & soft.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:07 PM

I found a picture that I posted last year with some samples of the bandana print from the wrong side. You can tell the front colors on the edges.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:33 PM

Chasing Hawk - I just need to share with you that for whatever reason, my brain kept reading bananas (I'm from Hawaii) instead of bandanas. As I read on I wondered why someone would keep bananas in their top drawer. Then I went back and reread... Might need to go to bed early tonight instead of staying up sewing...
Old 04-26-2022, 01:32 AM
Banned

Just googled and found this site. Read their refund policy and reviews.
https://www.bandanaswholesale.com/