Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
OMG have you heard of the 'ransom virus' ? >

OMG have you heard of the 'ransom virus' ?

OMG have you heard of the 'ransom virus' ?

Old 03-10-2014, 05:27 AM

There is also one that AOL told me about, it looks just like it is from Adobe and that you need to update.....No, it is hackers at it again. So if you get that message, like when you turn on your computer don't click, go to the website itself and see if you need to update. AOL said that one caused them a lot of headaches with their customers.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ellageo View Post
I wonder: Do people actually PAY a ransom?? and all those other bugs that get put out there, why in the world do those people do that? What do they get out of it? CrAzY world1

Pay with a credit card, then they steal your credit card information, or sell it??!!
Old 03-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Easy instructions how to prevent the virus is all over the internet. It's been around for a year so the virus programs have updated to stop it. Be sure your virus software program is current.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:09 PM

Unfortunately, the program script changes so it gets through virus and spyware protection programs -- I had both on my computer. It's not actually a virus, but a malware type of program. I learned a lot about it when I was infected. And yes, people do pay the ransom. The last I read these companies get millions of $$ from people who think it's actually a government site and panic. The fact they ask for a moneygram (which is non-refundable and impossible to track) should clue people in that this is a scam. But unfortunately it doesn't.

The one plaguing me right now is the conduit search engine that has grabbed my computer. I've followed all the steps I can find on the web to get rid of it but it keeps popping back up every few days. It has apparently gotten in the registry. Stay away from CNET downloads! They used to be a reputable site to download programs but that's where I got infected. I'm furious with them.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I had the conduit search junk too. I got rid of it using this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...-removal-tool/