Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: once again Florida is the only snow-free state

once again Florida is the only snow-free state

But I have been there (Hollywood Fla.) when it did snow (1987 ?) they dismissed class so we could count the snow flakes

Florida has no mountains. I live in Southern California and it has been in the 80s until this last week. I just hope you don't get any hurricanes this year. That can really ruin a quilter's stash !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Parts of Florida has been very chilly.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    *** I am in the Upstate of South Carolina and
    they were predicting 1/3 inch early this morning
    and we got over 1 inch.

*** They are predicting another front coming in
    on Wednesday night with more snow.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Parts of Florida has been very chilly.
    My lil'sister lives in Melbourne Fla and last week she said it was 34 wind chill 21 -serves her right she is always sending us pictures of them playing at the beach. They just bought and moved into their new house and couldn't find the thermostat to turn on some heat- I went back and looked at the photo's of each room -I had to tell her that each room has its own base board heaters. Yep they are all blonde's in that house and yes I LMBO -she will never hear the end of this one : )

Blog Entries
    Central Florida...We broke a 100 year old record last week when we hit 23 degrees. Many plants were too big to be covered, so the plant nurseries will do well this spring. Most of the older homes do not have heaters, unless they've been updated. In our five year old home, we have a heat pump which generally works fine, but at 23, it just isn't very efficient. This is not a complaint, just explaining. I'm happy to not have snow (grew up near Lake Erie, so I know all about THAT) and do not rub it in the noses of my northern relatives. Our summers are brutally hot and humid...sort of like walking out into an oven & makes it hard to breathe. So there is payback of a sort, if that makes anyone feel better.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    We were in Fort Lauderdale a week ago and it was cold and very windy. The tour guide said he pays $500 a month in the summer to air condition his small two bedroom apartment and that the A/C has to be on 24/7 to keep mold from forming. Just telling you what he said. I did find Fort Lauderdale to be very pretty. I like seeing and finding out about other areas.

I am from Hollywood FL. and remember the day it snowed.It was January 1977.I remember it was so cold that a lot of my plants died.

Florida may not get snow but their temps with all the humidity has little to desire. Lived in Orlando for 30 years and when it claimed 35-40 degrees it always felt colder due to the humidity. Up here in Iowa when they claim 35-40 degrees it feels warmer to me and I'm over 60 yrs old so you'd think I'd feel the cold more. Its that humidity that makes it feel either warmer or colder than they state. It got so cold in Orlando one year that there were ice crystals formed on the Pampa Grass. Looked beautiful at the time......all glistening in the sun.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

It has been cold here and being used to heat, we are freezing, but we do not at 68 and 82 have to shovel snow.

Blog Entries
    Maybe I should call the DH in here and make him read this posting this morning. If he has said "start thinking Florida" one time in the past two weeks, he has said it twenty.....we have had one of the coldest winters either one of us has gotten through, even though we lived in ND and Alaska when he was in his early AF years. I have not been outside my back door in over 10 days except one evening to go out to my sewing room, and fell in the snow on my way back in.....
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Fresno, Ca gets snow once in a blue moon, but Lordy, Lordy, do they get fog, I hate it when I have to (or need to) drive down there when it is foggy. It causes me to have panic attacks. Here on the mountain we are above the fog and just below the worst of the snow

We are in swfl ==Bonita Springs --about 3 miles north of Naples line ==Yes it has been the coldest winter in my 32 yrs here. But, I only live here Nov thru to April. My brother lives in Ft Myers , Fl and doesn't mind the summers.
    S-I-l only sets the a/ c on when she gets home from work and says their condo a/c bill is not that high but she is careful. Some who live here all year find this weather cool but it's ok for me as our park pool is heated. Hubby can not take the heat after April but Ontario where we live never gets that much heat to be a problem in summer.
    I hate the cold weather and all that white fluffy stuff and always have.

Fort Myers area is the place to be....a little cool some days but lovely most of the time and summers are no worse for us than they were in Illinois...A/C is not expensive here. Love it.
    with a passion for quilting and vintage machines..Singers: 99, 4 featherweights, Redeye 66, Lotus 66, Phoenix 27, 15-91, 301A -- Janome 6600P and Janome embroidery 350 machine.
    Colleen S.

LOL, my daughter had a planned vacation to Florida to warm up a little and get out of "BOSTON"!

Quote Originally Posted by Seaside gal View Post
    We were in Fort Lauderdale a week ago and it was cold and very windy. The tour guide said he pays $500 a month in the summer to air condition his small two bedroom apartment and that the A/C has to be on 24/7 to keep mold from forming. Just telling you what he said. I did find Fort Lauderdale to be very pretty. I like seeing and finding out about other areas.
    I don't know what kind of an apartment your tour guide has but that doesn't sound right.I live less than 10 miles from Fort Lauderdale, I have a 3 bedroom house and my electric bill is seldom over $275.per month in the hottest months of the year. I've never had mold.I hope you enjoyed your visit and will come again.I know it must be disappointing to come to Florida and have bad weather but even with the low temps for 3 or 4 days it sure beats most other parts of the country right now.I don't think I could survive living in New Jersey again.
    Last edited by jeanredner; 02-26-2015 at 06:15 AM.

I lived for just under 60 years in Ft Myers area and moved to North Florida last year. This picture was taken last week of a neighbor's fountain. Glad this is all the "white" we saw.
    Name:  fountain with ice.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  52.4 KB

Blog Entries
    My Hubby is a Nascar fan and watching the drivers and fans fighting the cold this year was quite a change. I sympathize with you, but right now I would trade with you!!