Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oprah Show today- on the Recession & Families >

Oprah Show today- on the Recession & Families

Oprah Show today- on the Recession & Families

Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 PM

Did anyone else just watch this? I about bawled through the whole show. Sooooo sad. So many families, previously doing well, with children, now living in shelters, or tents.

Here in Michigan the unemployment is now 14.1%, and expected to continue to grow. Not to mention issues all the other states are having.

I think I'm going to ditch the Pastor quilt idea, and try to spotlessly finish the Irish Chain I had started, to hopefully raffle it off for our local food bank, or shelter. Hopefully my quilting will magically improve, so someone will want to buy a ticket for it.

My DH & I also are on the board of our local AngelFood Ministries- low cost foods to help supplement peoples food budgets. And we also assist during distribution.

It just doesn't seem like we're doing much. And but for the grace of God go we.....

What are some other things you all do, to help out?

If you missed the show, I seen she has it on her website. Oprah.com And it's funny, as I seldom watch the show. But this one really touched me!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Banned

DH and i started a foundation 12 years ago that provides education and support to the battered women shelters in our area.

sadly with the turn in the economy domestic violence is rising.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:39 PM

Oh, good for you Klue!!! What a very wonderful thing, what a blessing to those women!! :-)

I guess I'm also looking for more ideas on what I can do, too. We don't have much money, DH is working, but I'm still on unemployment. But I do have time.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

I started to write down the things we do, but was taught by my grandfather to give and not tell anyone that you did. We try to help those in our community that are in need without them knowing it's us. I know this may sound strange, but just the way I was taught. LOL
Old 06-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

I wish there was more that I could do also, Klue, that is wonderful!! this is such a small place in the boonies .
Old 06-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I started to write down the things we do, but was taught by my grandfather to give and not tell anyone that you did. We try to help those in our community that are in need without them knowing it's us. I know this may sound strange, but just the way I was taught. LOL
This is also how I was taught, I try to do as much as I can within my means.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:55 PM
JJs
Banned

so how's all that hope and change workin' out for ya....

guvmint takin over the banks and manufacturing.. sounds like ussr from years ago...
Old 06-19-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie

Not strange at all,that is how Me and my sisters were taught. You just did what you could and let it go. I do believe it is a saving face thing,you know. Pride whatever, some people are really embarrised to accept help from other people especialy if they never had to do it before. Whatever but that is how I taught my 2 daughter also. :-)
BillsBonBon
Old 06-19-2009, 04:18 PM

I'm wondering if my post was misunderstood? I was looking more for ideas, on things I might not be thinking of, that I could do.

When I bring up the AngelFood Ministries, a lot of people haven't heard of it, so I can then let them know what all it is. Approx. $60 worth of food for only $30, everyone can get it, no income requirements, etc, at all! Helping with distribution is an easy way for someone to help, and someone may not know that.
Klue mentioning what she and her DH husband do, might give another an idea.

I don't believe talking generally about what one does is trying to toot ones own horn. Anymore than those who do Project Linus, etc, and mention it, are bragging, etc. I had never heard of Project Linus before seeing quilts people had posted on here for it, and talking of it.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Diana Rainer
I'm wondering if my post was misunderstood? I was looking more for ideas, on things I might not be thinking of, that I could do.

When I bring up the AngelFood Ministries, a lot of people haven't heard of it, so I can then let them know what all it is. Approx. $60 worth of food for only $30, everyone can get it, no income requirements, etc, at all! Helping with distribution is an easy way for someone to help, and someone may not know that.
Klue mentioning what she and her DH husband do, might give another an idea.

I don't believe talking generally about what one does is trying to toot ones own horn. Anymore than those who do Project Linus, etc, and mention it, are bragging, etc. I had never heard of Project Linus before seeing quilts people had posted on here for it, and talking of it.

Just my opinion.
The Angel Food Ministeries are wonderful. It has helped several members of my family for food. You get an order of good food to feed a family of 4 for a week. People on limited incomes have a big boost in there food budget. I have told friends and familly about them. You dont have to been desperate to order their food.
I for one did not misunderstand your post. You do a great goodness when you help with this foundation. I was just raised to keep quite about helping if it is a close community and you know the people. The Angel Food Ministries needs to be talked about because as you said a lot of people haven't heard about it. I tell anyone that will listen. The lost jobs,lost homes,childeren,parents,elderly all can get this you don't have to be jobless,homeless and still can get the food order. I have bought it for some of my extended family. Boy does it help. I thank God for them.
BillsBonBon