Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Organizing ideas and images from the Internet >

Organizing ideas and images from the Internet

Organizing ideas and images from the Internet

Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 AM

Lightbulb Organizing ideas and images from the Internet

I stumbled upon a really neat application (for computers, mobile devices, etc.) that allows you to store "notes" in "notebooks." You set up the notebook (e.g., Small projects), and when you are on a website that has a tutorial or image of something you want to keep, you click an icon next to the URL, and it automatically makes a note with a clickable image of that website. If you have more than one notebook, you select the notebook you want to file it in.

It's called "Evernote," and the basic app is free (for a Premium membership, you get more memory and other goodies. http://www.evernote.com/about/download

I've been using it for a couple of weeks, and I love it! You can page through a notebook, or select a note by clicking on its thumbnail.

You can also write notes to which you attach a document from your computer.

So much better than having a list of filenames that I don't remember what is in the file!

Take a look!

Jory

Last edited by Jory; 03-20-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 AM

For the visual among us, might I suggest Pinterest? It's a great way to organize your links without worrying you'll lose them if something happens to your computer (my hard drive has been wiped twice, once during Dear Jane). It's perfect for those links and blogs you like to visit.

It sounds like your site is similar to free google notes & google documents to keep track of typed info and share if needed. Interesting.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 AM

I've used both Evernote and Pinterest, and I have to admit I much prefer Pinterest.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 AM

The difference between PinInterest and Evernote is that with Evernote, you can choose to make your notebook public or not. They also don't claim to own what you clip, don't intend to sell it, don't stick you with legal bills arising from selling something you posted that you did not own, etc. Take a look at this comment: http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...n-t183443.html
Old 03-22-2012, 05:51 AM

I like Evernote better. It is private and PinInterest is not!!! I don't have to worry about anyone looking or taking my notes!!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 AM

Being a basic sceptic, I assume everything I put on the computer is going to go to nowhere land at some point, having lost loads of everything, but years of photos is what hurts. Yes, I backed everything up. Oops, malfunction. So, no, I am not saving things on-line, either. I just assume that everything can be accessed, but someone. Don't you watch TV?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:53 PM

Pinterest posted information tonight on Facebook telling everyone they have changed their terms of service. They say they never intended to sell anyone's ideas. All of the objectionable parts have been removed and will go into effect the first week of April.