OTC Pain Meds for a Cat?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

I feel for you and your cat. Vet bills are ridiculous. I hope they can let you pay on some sort of plan. At least this one time :(
I wouldn't mess around with any OTC's for cats.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:43 PM

Cats are much more sensitive to meds than dogs of ANY size. You can't even give kittens the same replacement milk that you do pups. There is an 'everything' replacement milk that can be used for just about everything - pups, fowls, calves, etc. - EXCEPT kittens. You can ask anyone who does rescue - 95% of all orphan kittens die while 95% of all orphan puppies live. They are just too delicate. EVERYTHING is metabolized differently. Dogs are bascially the same - the difference in doses being because of weight. Cats are not just different because of their size - their metabolic makeup is extremely different. Some vets don't even treat cats. And there are some vets that ONLY treat cats. They are extremely specialized almost as much as birds.

PLEASE at least call the vet or the shelter. I would hate for you to try to do the cheap and easy and lose your furbaby. I have had it happen too many times to people that I know. You don't want to live with a life time of 'what if's' for what is really a fairly small amount of money.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Originally Posted by craftyone27
I just did an online search and found a site that says a baby aspirin - one every three days - is OK for cats. I am thinking of breaking one into pieces and giving him about a third of one, just to see if it helps. Right now just watching and waiting - hoping it will get better.
My 6 lb Foxy can take a 1/2 baby aspirin every 3 hours for pain so I don't see why your cat couldn't take one. Benedryl in pill form 1/2 I give my Pom-chi morning & night for his allergies per the vet.
You can not compare the two. Dogs can take many things that are downright deadly to cats. Size means nothing. I have a 30lb Maine Coon cat that could probably eat your dogs for lunch, just kidding he is a big baby and would probably run away in fear. My point is dogs and cats are so totally different in metabolism. Ever wonder why dogs like cat food so much? It is formulated different, much more protien that is why it tastes so good to the dog. Size means nothing you can not give cats the same things you give dogs. What is safe for a dog is deadly to a cat.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Google Goddess

good luck and hope your cat starts feeling better soon
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM

Under no circumstances should you ever give a cat aspirin. It is incredibly toxic to cats. Even in small doses it can cause kidney failure, stomach ulcers, & neurological problems.
If it's not swollen, it's very unlikely it's a fracture or a break. Might be that he jumped & landed wrong & it's soft tissue damage. Watch to see if he spends a lot of time licking it; if so it's more likely there's a break in the skin (cut, bite, scratch)
I understand sometimes we get into circumstances where a visit to the vet is nigh on impossible, I've been there. Do watch to make sure there is no swelling, that he eats, drinks & relieves himself normally. I know you hate to see your little guy in pain, but you should never, ever medicate a cat without veterinary supervision. It's just to likely you'd poison him.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:12 PM

My cousin who is a vet told me that I could give my cat "81 mg (of baby aspirin) every 72 hours only". I generally give my cat 1/4 of that dose, and she seems to do well on that.

Just keep an eye out on the cat.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:17 PM

I'm so sorry your kitty isn't doing so well. I hope everything works out. We all love our fur-babies. I hope some vet out there will see you. It can't hurt to ask.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:41 PM

No no No!! No OTC pain relievers for kitty cats! Not safe.
Go to your veterinarian to get something safe for your cat.

Hope your kitty gets better.

Chris
Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 AM

How is you kitty doing?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:14 AM

Thanks for all the input ladies! I did verify that a baby aspirin every 72 hours is OK for cats. I gave him one Tuesday afternoon and by Wed morning he was his old ornery self again. He isn't limping and there is no sign of infection or swelling in his paw or leg. My suspicion is that he was stung by a bee or other insect - he has had this happen before. Happy to say all is well with my furbaby!