Overdrive

Old 08-16-2017, 12:20 PM

Oops, forgot to mention that I did go into the library to purchase my digital library card. I think they offer it there because there are a lot of 'summer ' people and tourists.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:32 PM

I have 3 libraries in my area and can get 5 books from each one. Also can put a book on hold if temporarily unavailable. They email you when its available. You can return them early if you have finished so you can get some more. Happy reading.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:22 PM

I go through a book every few days, so anything economical is good for me. Also, I can't tell you how practical I find e-books for novels. (I don't like them much for reference books. For those I like the paper version). I no longer have to try to find a way to unload them.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Be careful with "free" Kindle books. I signed up for that and after a few months, they started charging my VISA for a subscription.

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
The only free books on Amazon that I know of are the Kindle first- and that's one per month if you have Prime.
The free Kindle books I'm talking about are not part of anything you have to sign up for. You simply look for the kind of books you enjoy - suspense, romance, westerns, mystery, etc. Then sort by price. There are a lot that you can "purchase" for free, no strings attached, no sign-ups, nothing. I've purchased probably 50+ free books for my Kindle in the last couple of years and never been charged any kind of fee.

Here's an example: I searched for "mystery books", then sorted by price, and bingo! free Kindle books. I scrolled down 10 pages of free listings before I got bored and quit looking. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1...qid=1502943411

The listings do change; my friend got a free book and recommended it, but when I went to get it 2 weeks later, it was no longer free.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:54 AM

For free books, there is also Bookbub.com . The site searches for free books across several platforms, among them Amazon and Kobo. At the bottom of the category section, you can click for "free e-books". Otherwise, the list will show a selection of great deals on books, but not necessarily free.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:48 AM

my library offers 7 books in their selection by downloading the app Hoopla. Ask your library if it participates. My library is one of the 1500 that offer it, and I am so happy. I use overdrive, too. I think that you have to live in the area that has Overdrive.