Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 79

Thread: Painted Shoe Quilt Help Needed, please read

  1. #1
    Senior Member quilting.addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    520
    I know for a fact that several hundred of you great quilters watched the making of Head over Heels, my painted shoe quilt. I would really like to pick your brains and get opinions as to my next step. Would you respond back to this post and answer three questions for me, since it's people like you that would be my target market.
    1. Would you be more likely to buy a paper pattern with good instructions or 9 - 12" already printed blocks?
    2. If you chose the paper, would you want it to be for painting or for applique?
    3. No matter which you chose, what would you expect the cost to be?
    Thanks for being a part of my focus group!! before I launch my Blog!

    Head over Heels!
    Name:  Attachment-216350.jpe
Views: 411
Size:  62.8 KB

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,246
    Let me think on this, then get back to you. I like your ideas.

  3. #3
    Super Member thimblebug6000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6,122
    I would prefer an appliqué pattern. The $$ is hard to say, I usually purchase patterns that are under $20, however I have purchased Forest Hollow which cost me $160 in the end (just for the patterns BOM) so.....
    It is a gorgeous piece of art & I'm sure many of us have DDs who would enjoy it. Good luck with your marketing & hopefully I can keep track of this thread.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting.addict
    1. Would you be more likely to buy a paper pattern with good instructions or 9 - 12" already printed blocks?******* That is a hard one. If you are a purist - I would think you would want to do the entire thing yourself, so paper pattern. I'm not a purist, so I could go either way. Depends on price.

    2. If you chose the paper, would you want it to be for painting or for applique? ******applique. I am not a painter, nor would I have the tools to do it. (brushes/paint etc)

    3. No matter which you chose, what would you expect the cost to be? ****** I'm cheap, I would think $30 max, but I've not done alot of pattern buying yet. Not sure I am the best judge for pricing.
    Thanks for being a part of my focus group!! before I launch my Blog!
    I didn't take the time to figure out how to change my text color, so I just added ****** to the above.

    I love the quilt by the way. LOVE IT. You did a great job.

  5. #5
    Super Member KathyAire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,414
    1. Would you be more likely to buy a paper pattern with good instructions or 9 - 12" already printed blocks?
    Paper
    2. If you chose the paper, would you want it to be for painting or for applique?
    Applique
    3. No matter which you chose, what would you expect the cost to be?
    $10.00 to $15.00.

  6. #6
    Super Member New Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In the boonies of So. Jersey
    Posts
    1,356
    I love your quilt so much that I'd be interested in either the paper pattern and/or the completed blocks...I'd be interested in the applique directions(I tried painting some a long, long time ago and didn't like the results), the $$$ part of the question I'd have no idea...Naomi

  7. #7
    Super Member tealfalcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Millbrook, Alabama
    Posts
    3,395
    1. Would you be more likely to buy a paper pattern with good instructions or 9 - 12" already printed blocks?
    ***** i would love the printed blocks / and a applique paper pattern
    2. If you chose the paper, would you want it to be for painting or for applique? applique
    3. No matter which you chose, what would you expect the cost to be? 20-25

  8. #8
    Senior Member spinnergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    643
    I think very few quilters would want to paint their own shoes. Most feel that painting is harder to do and would not be interested in that version but if you offer preprinted squares in a kit (like computer printed from the original) I feel they would sell like hotcakes. Even applique patterns would do better in my opinion.

    Georgia

  9. #9
    Senior Member quilting.addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnergs
    I think very few quilters would want to paint their own shoes. Most feel that painting is harder to do and would not be interested in that version but if you offer preprinted squares in a kit (like computer printed from the original) I feel they would sell like hotcakes. Even applique patterns would do better in my opinion.

    Georgia
    Just to clarify, I was not talking about computer generated fabric sheets with the shoe design. I was talking about 40" fabric, with the nine shoes on a yard. That is what I am trying to determine a price for.... so far it looks like there is very little interest in the 12" blocks...more interest in applique pattern which in my opinion would look nothing like my Head over Heels quilt.
    Keep your thoughts coming; it's very helpful to me.

  10. #10
    Super Member Kooklabell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    RVing in USA and Canada
    Posts
    1,410
    I love your quilt design! My MIL would absolutely LOVE it.

    Paper
    applique
    10 - 15

    I'd love to do the painting - but that would only be more things to buy :(

  11. #11
    Super Member Jennifer22206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    4,775
    Blog Entries
    4
    1. Would you be more likely to buy a paper pattern with good instructions or 9 - 12" already printed blocks?
    I'd want to have a paper pattern.

    2. If you chose the paper, would you want it to be for painting or for applique?
    Applique. I'd do one for fusible or needle turn. I don't paint.

    3. No matter which you chose, what would you expect the cost to be?
    I'd say under $15. I charge under $7 for my patterns and in each pattern I offer at least 10 different images. I'd also say offer reverse images for the pattern pieces, especially if you want to offer them up for fusible applique too.

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,275
    I would love the shoes on the yard of fabric I know my painting is not that good and have trouble with applique my hands don't work well

  13. #13
    Super Member MrsM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hoosick Falls, NY
    Posts
    2,116
    I actually paint and applique, but I think I would prefer an applique pattern.

  14. #14
    Super Member New Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In the boonies of So. Jersey
    Posts
    1,356
    I would love the 40" fabric with the shoes...please, please, please... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Naomi

  15. #15
    Super Member thimblebug6000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6,122
    To add to my previous thoughts, no I wouldn't go out and purchase fabric with the shoes printed on it, that's too much like working on a preprinted panel for my liking.

  16. #16
    Super Member New Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In the boonies of So. Jersey
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    To add to my previous thoughts, no I wouldn't go out and purchase fabric with the shoes printed on it, that's too much like working on a preprinted panel for my liking.
    I am still a 'newbie' quilter...therefore, preprinted panels for me enable me to work on lots of quilting skills, border techniques, sashing, etc. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Naomi

  17. #17
    Super Member kathdavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Blue Springs, Missouri
    Posts
    2,499
    Blog Entries
    2
    Preprinted fabric would be great. Quilting and adding embellishing would add details and be fun.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting.addict
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnergs
    I think very few quilters would want to paint their own shoes. Most feel that painting is harder to do and would not be interested in that version but if you offer preprinted squares in a kit (like computer printed from the original) I feel they would sell like hotcakes. Even applique patterns would do better in my opinion.

    Georgia
    Just to clarify, I was not talking about computer generated fabric sheets with the shoe design. I was talking about 40" fabric, with the nine shoes on a yard. That is what I am trying to determine a price for.... so far it looks like there is very little interest in the 12" blocks...more interest in applique pattern which in my opinion would look nothing like my Head over Heels quilt.
    Keep your thoughts coming; it's very helpful to me.
    I would LOVE, LOVE pre-printed on a yard, or in 12" blocks. I have never done a panel quilt, but your shoes are just too great to pass up. And I agree with you, appliqueing them would change the look entirely. I have a shoe-maven co-worker who would be Head over Heels for a quilt like this. It would make a perfect retirement gift, please keep us posted!

  19. #19
    Super Member LindaM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Rural Small Town Ontario
    Posts
    1,473
    Quote Originally Posted by New Quilter
    I would love the 40" fabric with the shoes...please, please, please... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Naomi
    Ditto - I'd love the pre-printed design!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    472
    Applique is my vote. I can't paint
    Lynda

  21. #21
    Senior Member didi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SE Alabama
    Posts
    828
    Blog Entries
    1
    Are you saying a yard of fabric with all the shoes on that yard??? If so, $10--20

  22. #22
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,851
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting.addict
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnergs
    I think very few quilters would want to paint their own shoes. Most feel that painting is harder to do and would not be interested in that version but if you offer preprinted squares in a kit (like computer printed from the original) I feel they would sell like hotcakes. Even applique patterns would do better in my opinion.

    Georgia
    Just to clarify, I was not talking about computer generated fabric sheets with the shoe design. I was talking about 40" fabric, with the nine shoes on a yard. That is what I am trying to determine a price for.... so far it looks like there is very little interest in the 12" blocks...more interest in applique pattern which in my opinion would look nothing like my Head over Heels quilt.
    Keep your thoughts coming; it's very helpful to me.

    How does applique even come close to this masterpiece? If one is wanting to emulate yours, QuiltingAddict, I would think the only option would be to use pre-printed fabric ..... or if one is able, to paint your own.

    Size ... with sashing/borders, I think 9" would keep it more controlled in size ... and could still work nicely as a wall hanging.

  23. #23
    Junior Member cindit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Indianola (south of DSM), IA
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting.addict
    I know for a fact that several hundred of you great quilters watched the making of Head over Heels, my painted shoe quilt. I would really like to pick your brains and get opinions as to my next step. Would you respond back to this post and answer three questions for me, since it's people like you that would be my target market.
    1. Would you be more likely to buy a paper pattern with good instructions or 9 - 12" already printed blocks?
    2. If you chose the paper, would you want it to be for painting or for applique?
    3. No matter which you chose, what would you expect the cost to be?
    Thanks for being a part of my focus group!! before I launch my Blog!
    I don't have the talent to paint but would love to buy the prints. An appliqué pattern would be good too. I would "expect" (doesnt mean I would not purchase it if it exceeded this) a panel of shoes to be about a yard and cost $10 - $12. Pattern $12-15.

  24. #24
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would purchase preprinted shoe fabric. There is no way I could paint them. Applique would be nice, but not the same.

    If it were a printed pattern, I'd like applique.

    I don't think I would ever be able to pay more than $20 for a pattern. That's just a mental block with me.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    526
    I absolutely love your quilt. My hands are not steady, so painting and even applique is overwhelming. I would love to buy your shoe fabric panels, as my daughter would love this quilt.

    Please keep us posted when you begin to market your products. Thank you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.