Pantry storage - Hoarding

Old 11-22-2020, 05:43 AM

Default Pantry storage - Hoarding

Back to the Covid and hoarding.

So what do you guys feel are must haves in your pantry for times like these?
I have canned and dried beans. Oats. Canned meats

I know flour and oatmeal were very hard to find a couple months back

A coworker was limited to one can of pineapple this last week. That is an odd item?
But the store let her check out with quite a few different brands and sizes of sanitizing wipes.?
And my local Winco has plenty of TP and our Costcos are bare shelved.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:11 AM

I keep pasta, pasta sauce, rice, peanut butter, saltine crackers, Rice A Roni, canned beans, canned corn, tuna, olive oil, chicken broth, maybe a box of brownie mix, and paper goods in the pantry. Basically my standard staples for several decades. (Endured many blizzards).
There is usually a package of ground turkey and a package of chicken breasts in my freezer.
Early on this pandemic, eggs were in short supply. They don’t seem to be in short supply in my area now. But if they impose a limit, I will buy one pack of 18 eggs instead of a dozen.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:56 AM

We are used to being stocked up due to living in hurricane row. Once a breath of storm occurs, there it is a frenzy that I won't be caught up in. I have water delivery each month and add extra in May plus stock the freezer with ice. No need to be in the stores or the lines.

I realized when the last frenzy hit that my system needed to be revised. I purchased a shelving rack for the garage to keep extra supplies. Now there is enough laundry soap, bleach, garbage bags, and food bags to last quite a while. Other typical staples that I stock are bath soap, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, etc. Our children know they can shop our pantry at any time too.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

My husband is a foodie and we have enough food to last till the next century! I tease him about it but he's always been that way.
You'd think he grew up hungry but he didn't. I think for him it's just that he cooks a lot and wants to have everything there.
I liken his food obsession to my fabric collection lol
So Covid or not we aren't lacking much.
The only problem I have is when I want to cook I frequently can't find anything because pantry, fridge, freezer are all stuffed. Grrr!
Old 11-22-2020, 07:50 AM

The long list is below, if anyone cares for specifics. I think the standout food items are the variety of nuts, the dried mangos, and the 100% Italian tomatoes that come in cartons. I maintain loads of baking options. I also stock up on paper goods, cleaning supplies and toiletries. I used to let the pantry get almost bare before shopping. I doubt I will ever live that way again.

—————
-Long List-

Pantry:
Rice, black beans, lentils, sliced and whole olives, pickles, ketchup, turkey chili, Italian tomatoes in cartons instead of cans, marinara sauce, pasta, canned chicken/tuna, canned green beans, canned fruit, oatmeal, brown/white/confectioners sugar, baking powder/soda, cornmeal, unbleached organic/bread/cake flours, vanilla powder, yeast, popcorn, cooking oils, dry milk, dried egg whites/meringue powder, dried mangos, dates, walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, peanut butter, crackers, cereal, candy, potatoes, cat kibble and canned cat food.

Refrigerator/Freezer:
Extra milk, cheese, eggs, bread, frozen veggies/juice concentrates, raw and prepared poultry/pork/sausage/fish, chicken stock concentrate, loads of extra butter, ice cream, jarred garlic, lemon juice, dried-meat treats for cats.

Last edited by Sewsation; 11-22-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
Back to the Covid and hoarding.
howze about not.
there are already other threads in which these subjects are being beat to death.