Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: paying with Paypal here

I am concerned about buying things here and being asked to commit fraud when I am asked to send the money as a gift through PayPal so the recipient doesn't have a fee for accepting the funds.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

thanks.

Blog Entries
    I don't have any legal experience, but it is something to consider...

There is an option that states goods. I have not had an issue with using paypal for purchases since the option is exactly that purchasing goods.

I just looked it up first i choose to send money. Then below are two tabs Purchase or Personal. I only use the purchase tab and select goods. I am not sure if they get charged but I am protecting myself by choosing goods this means that If there is an issue I can file a complaint and it will get handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    There is an option that states goods. I have not had an issue with using paypal for purchases since the option is exactly that purchasing goods.
    I have made several purchases on here and two people have asked me to send it as gifts

Blog Entries
    Perhaps someone with a lot more experience will know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    I have made several purchases on here and two people have asked me to send it as gifts
    Have also noticed that one lady asked for the purchaser to add 50 cents if paying by payPal. I would think that is totally legit, but saying it is a gift,, when I am making a purchas makes me uncomfortable. Who sends a gift of $17.22?

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Thanks SadieMae. We can watch and see what others think. I am not trying to stir up anything, but don't want to have to worry about committing fraud either.

I understand

I you feel you are not using Paypal for a "Personal" vs. business transaction when sending $ to another QB member, you should convey that message to that person.

If you think a fee should be paid, there is a Paypal fee calculator that tells you how much you need to pay to get the correct amount transferred.

http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....re/page19.html

Not sure where to post this. But since it relates to buying on here, will try this. If it should be somewhere else please direct me to the right place.

I am concerned about buying things here and being asked to commit fraud when I am asked to send the money as a gift through PayPal so the recipient doesn't have a fee for accepting the funds.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Thanks SadieMae. We can watch and see what others think. I am not trying to stir up anything, but don't want to have to worry about committing fraud either.
    I totally understand.

As paypal goes, if the money is sent as a gift, and the person does not send the merchandise...YOU HAVE NO PAYPAL RECOURSE. You "gave the money as a gift". Yes, it does save fees. But...if you get burned by someone and they take your money....not really saving ANYTHING are you?

And according to your paypal agreement, you may NOT charge someone more if they pay with paypal versus another method. It's in the same realm as retailers telling you there is a minimum transaction amount if you want to use a credit card. It's against visa/mc policies.

ETA: if a retailer is trying to avoid fees by having their customers choose "personal" it is the retailer that will get in trouble. Like, account suspension/investigation type things. Purchasers? Meh...it's your money to lose, I guess. I've never heard of a purchaser getting in trouble for sending "gift money" because just losing your own money is enough of a deterrent, kwim?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    The fee for a transaction of less than 100.00 is very minimal and is worth the Paypal protection.
    Glad someone brought this up.

Blog Entries
    i've been guilty of trying to avoid the fees so am definitely not speaking from my high horse.

i've since learned that if somebody does that favor, they have no protection if the transaction goes wrong. soooo ... on top of being sneakier than i care to admit, i was asking somebody to take an even bigger risk than we already take when buying from strangers in cyber-space.

double shame on me. :hunf:

i hope everybody else has figured it out, too. sellers should be prepared to pay the cost of doing business. buyers should exercise all options available to protect themselves.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    ive done both with no problems.. I guess its just a matter of how much the person is trustworthy or not..

i would never use "gift" when sending paypal funds because you will not have a leg to stand on if there's an issue.

if you use "goods" and the items are never sent to you and the person who was supposed to send the items can not prove delivery thru a conformation you can raise a complaint and receive your funds back.

my credit card has reversed paypal funds 3 times for me over the last 8 or so years.

they would never have reversed those charges if i had said it was a "gift".

I am not thinking I should go to the fee calculator and figure out how much additional to send to cover the seller's PayPal fee. I do agree with another who has posted here. Accepting payments by PayPal is part of the cost of doing business. And even if we are not operating a storefront, we are conducting businees, of a sort.

I actually have had one or two people offer to send me paypal via that route, as a 'gift' so as to not charge me fees. Very sweet of them, but I didn't know it left them without any recourse. It's good to know. Yes, the paypal fees are part of doing business and although I don't like the fees like everyone else, it's worth it for the protection of both parties.

For heaven's sake! Isn't that right up there with stealing cable T.V., stiffing the waiter etc? PayPal is a service that protects all of us who use it. It's a convenience to me to be able to see within seconds that an item has been paid for and I can then proceed to ship it. Who wants to wait a week for a check and then another ten days for it to clear.
    I noticed that some seller was asking for an extra fifty cents. I would not buy from that seller. If you're doing business with someone, that's the cost of doing it, and darned little at that!
    Happy to support PayPall!
    Karen

HI - PP fees are pretty easy to figure - flat 30 cent fee plus 2.9% of total . So on a $10 transaction, it would be 59 cents.
    Money coming from a foreign country, the % is a little more.

I myself prefer the business way and I don't mind having my fees taken out. I want to protect the buyer and myself so no problems arise.

Banned
    I do sell on this forum....People send checks or use paypal....
    I sell very cheap and if people need to pay with paypal I tell them that I will give them the exact amt and then add the EXACT paypal fees on to that. They are very minimal, but if they paid, and then paypal took out fees on me that would be cheaper merchandise and I end up loosing more. If I charge more for my items to make up for fees, then the paypal fees are higher. No Win situation.
    I have no idea how that person marks the send money....ex. goods, etc. It never shows up on my side. I'm sure it is not listed as "GIFT" though. I would hope someone would not do that.

I use the goods option.

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am not thinking I should go to the fee calculator and figure out how much additional to send to cover the seller's PayPal fee. I do agree with another who has posted here. Accepting payments by PayPal is part of the cost of doing business. And even if we are not operating a storefront, we are conducting businees, of a sort.
    I agree. When we sign up to receive $ through paypal we agree to pay those fees for the service. If I were selling something and being paid through paypal account I would simply factor that cost into the selling price! dah.........!

Blog Entries
    I've purchased things when the seller has specified "bank account only, no credit cards"....I can see they don't want to pay any fees and this states it clearly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast