Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
PAYPAL and Debit Card Fraud >

PAYPAL and Debit Card Fraud

PAYPAL and Debit Card Fraud

Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 PM

It's funny that you should mention this because I had discovered that very issue a few months back. Paypal had never done this before, but I too went back into my Paypal account hours after I had used it and I was still logged in. Yes, logging out does correct the problem, but as far as Paypal timing out itself, it doesn't seem to be happening. There is definitely a security issue there
Old 02-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Great information to those that have pay-pal. My son-in-law had over two thousand dollars removed from his account. He was never able to recover it...I bet that is what happened to him. Thanks for sharing...
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by quiltgal View Post
But never, never use debit cards on the internet to pay for anything!
I have a free acct at my bank in which I keep a very small amount....and have a debit card for that account. It's the one I use for PP and sometimes other sites. Recently I had only about 29$ in it and after an online purchase (I think it was one from Annie's Attic--an ebook-not thru PP), someone got the number and charged several small things--in CA, one at a food bank and calls to Mexico. Bank caught it almost right away (I usually ck my accounts online daily or at least every 2-3 days) and sent me an email about it. The charges were credited back quickly. The bank said they'd prob just write it off since it was less than $50 but I wish they'd followed up on it and caught the person! The acct is set so that if debits are put through for more than the balance, they're refused.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
You can manually change that setting so that they are not linked...it would be wise to do so!
You mean you can unlink ebay and PP? How does that work....I thought ebay now owns PP. How would you unlink them? In Firefox???
Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by cactusmomma View Post
Just checked and mine is closed. Thanks for the information. I had a bad experience with Old Pueblo Traders. I placed an order, gave them my debit card information to pay for the transaction. They opened a OPT credit card and I did not realize it.
What's an OPT credit card?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by poodlemom View Post
It's funny that you should mention this because I had discovered that very issue a few months back. Paypal had never done this before, but I too went back into my Paypal account hours after I had used it and I was still logged in. Yes, logging out does correct the problem, but as far as Paypal timing out itself, it doesn't seem to be happening. There is definitely a security issue there
Same here. A few years ago someone on a sewing list talked about a "security key" you could get from PP for $5. Every time you log in you press the button on this little thing and it generates a 6-digit number that you enter in the box after you enter your login info. I have no idea if this helps or not but I do use it every time! I should ask them if and how it helps! It doesn't automatically log you out tho, still have to do that myself.