Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
People owned by cats - need suggestions >

People owned by cats - need suggestions

People owned by cats - need suggestions

Old 09-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Hi All! My avatar, Chloe, has the hairiest bottom I have ever seen on a cat. I have been bringing her to the vet every 8 weeks or so to have (as they tell me) "her poop shoot" shaved. Since she gets so stressed out from these visits, I have decided to trim her fur at home, I don't have clippers yet, just scissors. My question is: Her back end smells like pee, even though the fur is not wet. When she sits on me, my clothes pick up the smell, YUCK! Any ideas on what I can use to keep the fur smelling nice, or how I can do it would greatly be appreciated. With all the cat lovers out there, someone is bound to have a solution to my problem. I don't want to bathe her, she believes water if for drinking only, if you get my drift. So frequent baths are out. I have tried pre-moistened bath sheets, but they don't seem to work that well on her. They do work on getting the smell off my clothes though. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

there are some "baby wipes" for D O G S that might help Just don't tell her who they are really for.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:10 PM

How old is Chloe? My Ruby dog is nine and she tends to 'leak'. She takes two Proin tablets per day. That keeps her from leaking. Perhaps Chloe is leaking and she may need some medication?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
there are some "baby wipes" for D O G S that might help Just don't tell her who they are really for.
This is what I would do too, use baby wipes.

My cat has the same problem, but once a month I bathe her backend as well as clipping it, and it helps alot. Im lucky that she doesnt mind the water. To bathe her I just use warm water with some nice smelling animal shampoo in it, and clean it with cotton balls, then rinse the area the same way. Then towl dry. I dont dunk her into a bucket of water, just use cotton balls to wash the area, while she eats some treats on top of the washing machine.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:15 PM

Long hair cats and dogs have a hatrder time cleaning themselves so you're going to have to helpher a bit by cleansing the area. They make pet wipes for cleaning them but you may have to use something a bit more wet with pet shampoo on it. You don't have to dunk her though if you do it at the edge of the sink. Make sure you reward her with treats so she comes to see it as a positive experience, not a negative. Have they checked her for a urinart tract infection? That can cause dribbling and if she can't clean herself well, the hair will retain the smell after drying. I have a long hair cat but I've never had to shave him back there as he's fastidious in his cleaning. Is she elderly? It's amazing how they can fight human care, they also make "cat bags" to put cats in while you're working on them. But they HATE them and if you have to do this consistently I wouldn't recommend it. They have memories like elephants and I have the scars to prove it!(Not really) I used to work with a vet at an animal shelter and it was soooo nice to do that sort of thing while they were knocked out for a spay or neuter--much easier!!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:24 PM

I just have my dh hold my kitty and i take scissors and trim around that area. And i also try to brush her quite often.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

they have kitty wipes. i had a fur baby, Xanadu, a maine coon, an we would just trim his "PANTS" off about once a month, sometimes when he was sleeping. i cut his nails every snday and very june, he'd get a lion cut. try cutting with smal scissors, i used embroidery, this way they don't notice too much ata time. good luck
Old 09-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

Oh, the things we do for our fur babies! I'd try using the small scissors when feeding a really nice special treat..mine respond well to Fancy Feast canned cat food. I'd then follow up with the pet wipes. Luckily I don't have to do the trimming, but one of mine has a hernia back there that I have to "tend to" several times every day. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KathyAire
How old is Chloe? My Ruby dog is nine and she tends to 'leak'. She takes two Proin tablets per day. That keeps her from leaking. Perhaps Chloe is leaking and she may need some medication?
I think Kathy could be right about this. I've had many cats, long hair, short hair, male and female and have never had this problem.
Let us know if anything works for you.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:32 PM

I'm keeping an eye on this too....Master Rory is headed to the groomer Friday for a 'sanitary' shave and possibly a modified total shave.

It seems he has never picked up the habit of grooming at all, and he is overweight, and doesn't reach there.... and he rolls around on his back all day long, and has matted huge chunks of Maine Coon hair...

He isn't amenable to brushing, or bathing... but after this severe shaving, I think he going to have to learn to like it....