Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pets Food, I was told this last night and I would like your opinion

I have a Shih-tzu that started the drinking to much water and obsessed with food. After many costly tests etc they concluded that he has "Cushings Disease". Had him on a very expensive medicine for a few months and it only helped some so I stopped them. Now he is better but never will be "normal". We will just love him as much as we can for as long as we can. He isn't in any pain or real discomfort. Then he had what we thought was a stroke but the vet called it "Old Dog Vestubular" (google it). Which says he has some kind of tumor in the inner ear or brain. His little head tilts to the side now but he is doing pretty good. My point is it may not be the food at all so I would recommend taking her to a vet. Get your pocketbook out though as they are not cheap. But if you can extend her life and she is happy it is worth it.

I agree with a ver visit too or at least call and see if they recommend a vist. Oh what am I thinking, of course they will LOL. But seriously I think I would make an appointment, take a stool sample with you. And maybe a list of what she has eaten in past 24 hours and amounts. Hope it is nothing serious. Oh, did you change brands of food and this started?

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    We use 2 brands for our furbaby-Halo and Canyon both are a little pricey, but at least her tummy is doing good and she is healthy (as compared to when we had to take her to the vet with a 500.00 bill for her umm potty bleeding problem right after we got her). The vet at the emergency vet hospital recommended Brie have noodles, boiled chicken, boiled beef or turkey, rice, peas and carrots for 2 weeks to clean her tummy problems up. So we did- I searched the internet for the right dog food. Another good one is Blue Buffalo, read the first 5 ingridents to see if any corn/meat by products are anywhere in the food.
    On Saturdays if we are having spaghetti- she gets noodles .. and she knows the smell of noodles !LOL too funny .. If You decide to make your own dog food-please read online or ask your vet about garlic & onions, and certain other products that dogs are not supposed to eat. For your furbaby's sake
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I agree with those who suggest taking her to the vet, especially since this has been going on for some time. Our beagle had thyroid problems and Cushings disease. Both made her ravenously hungry. Even if the vet finds no problems a good checkup seems in order.

I would say yes to the vet first.. However I wouldn't say hogwash to other things quite so fast. I see you are in the UK but here there is a website that tests food. its called dogfoodadvisor.. It gives unbiased reviews on the food and keeps track of recalls.
    You may be surprised at the foods that don't rate as high as you would think. Some excellent foods were sold out to big companies and the quality went way down.

The same additive in the store dog food is in the cereal corn flakes cherrios etc. etc. yet no one cares Try to eat a small amount you want more. I buy for my two dogs blue buffalo The shine on their coats make it well worth it. I was at the park with my beagle another lady had her beagle she said you buy the pet store dog food and I said yes She said so much for my husbands idea that all dog food is the same.Her dogs coat was dull and lifeless mine glittered Both dogs were the same age and healthy.
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by itwrx4me View Post
    If she continues to do this, you might have your vet check her out. Maybe she has a hormone issue - like thyroid or other type of problem. I can believe the stimulant in the food - but doesn't hurt to at least have her checked out if it continues.
    I totally agree with taking to the vet and having blood checked especially for a low thyroid hormone level. My cat did this & that was the problem. As pets age this happens. Good luck to you & "yours".

Blog Entries
    You might want to check out rawfeeding on yahoo groups. We've done it for years, and our dogs eat better for less, and their health is great.
    Stephanie in Mena

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
    sounds like a big vat of hogwash.
    just another chicken-little-meets-the-food-police-and-they-all-passed-several-joints.

i agree with those who recommend a trip to the vet.
    I wouldn't be so quick to blow this off. If you only knew all that ends up in the food you eat you would change your opinion! Don't forget, you also are getting what is used to make the animals and plants grow faster and bigger for greater productivity besides ingredients put together. Why do you think everybody is getting cancer and diabeties?? Yes we overeat, bad food that we crave more and more of, why??? Don't be naive!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat75 View Post
    The same additive in the store dog food is in the cereal corn flakes cherrios etc. etc. yet no one cares Try to eat a small amount you want more. .
    I can EASILY eat a small amount of cold cereal - just don't like it very much. Haven't tried dog food yet ;-)

There is a very simple reason why people are overweight - for 99% of our history as a species, we had to WORK to get food (planting crops, chasing game) and it just didn't taste that great. Sugar and fat were rare. Our bodies are still at that stage, however now food is EASY to get (no physical work involved) and it tastes GREAT and is loaded with sugar and fat, things our bodies still crave from the time when they were scarce. Our diet has changed but our bodies haven't.

There are additives in our commercial cereal that make you want to eat more .I attended a nutrition class. How about hair that has been possessed and is in bread.Did not want to believe it but when researched there it was.Of course take your dog to the vet who Knows what is going on with these furry creatures we love.
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

Years ago We had a 'Sounder' a Springer Spaniel we just fed him the cheap stuff ( it has Fill'ers Wood fibers!) He ate like a horse! and well Booped like one too! the yard upkeep was hard. When he got older I Was told by a VET to Feed him better Food! He would Eat Less And Boop Less Because NO Wood in the Food!! Better Food !! is the best way to go!
    Note: after We changed his food I saw that He was only eating 2x a day and booing 2x a day also.
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

I am delighted to say that for under a week I have seen an improvement! Muffin always has has her "wages" , which is a few treats for guarding the car. She is always wolfed down her "wages" for guarding the car but today I offered her least favourite and she spat it out, I am so chuffed! she tossed it aside, now that is a good sign as she would swallow everyting that had to do with food.

Well I am right chuffed, after just 5 days on the new pet food Muffins is doing fine, in fact today she refused one of her biscuit treats, her wager for guarding the car, because its not one of her favourites but for the last few months she has swallowed them no problem at all , today she was picky I am so chuffed.

I'm glad to know you've found Muffin something that's restored her normal eating behavior.

If you get the urge to cook for her sometime, your vet can give you recipes that are appropriate, especially for dogs who are senior or have any health concerns. I would not give any dog a recipe found on the Internet because despite claims to the contrary, they may not be based on medical knowledge about what dogs need, and they are definitely not tailored to the needs of your particular dog. There are a lot of kindhearted people who mean well but don't know what they're doing.

Just recently our vet recommended a kidney diet canned food for dogs for our 15-yr-old dog. We have had a previous dog with this condition and he would eat this particular food at all, which was very frustrating because it's expensive. This time I told the vet that I didn't think Rascal would eat it because his appetite has been very poor, and she gave me several recipes that I can easily cook for him. I make big batches and freeze the extra until he's ready for it. I found that giving him food made with fresh ingredients is actually less costly than the other stuff, and he really appreciates it. We were worried because he was underweight and often did not want to eat. I'm happy to say that he has been eating home cooking for about a month and is doing much better than he was.

I think the major pet food companies do considerable research on ways to meet a dogs needs while maximizing their profits. The two objectives are inherently somewhat at odds with each other, and what might be okay for the average young, healthy dog would not necessarily be ideal for one that is past his prime or one that is very active or inactive.

Best wishes for you precious fur baby.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    You need to take your beloved pet to the vet!! There could be numerous problems that is causing this issue. Your vet will probably recommend getting some blood work done which can be very beneficial diagnostic tool. You will need to make sure you take a fresh (less than 24 hours old) stool sample. There are soooo many issues with dog foods and treats right now, especially the ones that are being produced in China (even though the bag doesn't say "Made in China") Your baby really needs to be checked out by a professional.

As for the appetite stimulant being added to store brand foods, that probably is hog wash. There are recommendations on every bag as to how much your animal should be fed daily. Sometimes the portions are bigger because the food is of poor quality and/or has so many fillers in it. The dietary guidelines are set by the AVMA (American Veterinary Medicine Association) and sometimes it will take 1/2 cup of a quality food to get the daily requirements but will take 1 cup to get the same daily requirements in a lesser quality food.

Who Hoo! I just put my $40,000 education to use! I just finished my schooling for an Associates Degree in Registered Veterinary Technology and am currently doing a 3 month externship at one of the best vet clinics in my city! This counsultation is on the house!!!

Congrats on your achievement and thanks for sharing!

I hope people are paying attention to this! It means that unless the cheap food is less than half as much as the more expensive food (and allowing for the dog being willing to eat enough of it to meet his needs) you are paying more for the privilege of giving your dog the cheap filler ingredients.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I have always fed my animals supermarket dog and cat food. I have never had a problem with it. I have a cat that loves his friskies dry food. He eats all the time but he is a very active cat and would rather be out side. My almost 13 year old dog is very active also. She is able to roam free because we live in the country.

Blog Entries
    Just because a text book says it does not make it so. The world runs on the almighty buck and people have proven they will do anything to get it. So call it hogwash if you will, bury your head in the sand or quote text books, makes no difference to me, when it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. All you have to do is read the labels to see the garbage that is in food, read up on what is being fed to our food supply whether it be animal of vegtable. It reeks of "duck". Common sense is severely lacking in society today. We know something is true but let somebody come along and tell us "the text books and my education don't say that and the majority of us are accepting it as gospel. No thank you!!

Blog Entries
    It doesn't affect either one of my two dogs. I put their food out and it'll sit there unless I put chicken or beef broth in it or leftovers. I was just home on my lunch break and the food that I put out last night is still in the bowl and my Akita looked at me like are you going to feed us. I normally don't until I get home so that I don't come home to unwanted messes in my house because on Sunday I work long shifts. I buy mostly from the super markets and a few weeks ago my daugther bought an expensive bag from the pet store where she works and it I don't mix it they'll go hungry; especially the Akita. After they eat at night they both go to sleep until I go upstairs and they follow me up and go right back to sleep. If this is happening to ALL foods my dogs must be immune to it or something; or just plain spoiled.
    Judy

Thank you for all your help and advice and because of this and to save me worrying I am making my little Fur-baby home make food with fresh vegetables and meat, I have a slow cooker and it is so easy to chuck it all in and it is delicious, I know cos I can eat it myself. She seems happy on it but I am booking an appointment with the Vet just to make sure, and ask them their advice on recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
    Thank you for all your help and advice and because of this and to save me worrying I am making my little Fur-baby home make food with fresh vegetables and meat, I have a slow cooker and it is so easy to chuck it all in and it is delicious, I know cos I can eat it myself. She seems happy on it but I am booking an appointment with the Vet just to make sure, and ask them their advice on recipes.
    I did this with my old dog...Andy wouldn't eat anything but the junkiest wet food out there so I started cooking for him. And yes I put it all in the slow cooker chicken, green beans, sweet potatos etc His chicken was organic,
    I had to put it all through the blender and added vitamins, joint supplement, and probiotics. He loved it. Daisy now she isn't so picky she likes her kibble and canned food but good one My dog eats better than I do...

Just an update, Muffin has now been on home made food of over 3 weeks and is loving it, I am not finding it any more expensive and takes so little time to make.

Today's speciality was Steak and kidney, vegetables and Pasta which she thought was yummy, one huge side benefit is that she is losing her paunchy tummy

Sometimes I think our commercial pet foods are too refined, given the hideous (to us) things our pups will eat, given the chance. People will dump stripped deer carcasses and if in an accessible place our guys are proud and happy to arrive with a foot/hoof or leg joint, fresh or over-ripe. We have to find the remains quickly and dispose of them. They have never seemed to be ill after such an orgy but have been sickened by new dog food brands, if not introduced slowly.
    One of my terrierists was a stray until picked up by the dog warden. He has nabbed chipmunks in the backyard and even a rabbit while I walked him on leash. Everything is devoured, hoof, hide, head and hair. The only thing that bothered him was the chipmunk he gulped down whole and then a bit later regurgitated on our bed.

Of course manufacturers put ingredients in pet food to make it palatable. Human food has the same problem...fats, sweets, salts and refined starches are just yummy, technically not addictive but look at our nation-wide weight problems.

Blog Entries
    My dog eats Blue wet and Diamond Lamb and rice dry. My cats eat Diamond cat food. My oldest outside cat is about to turn 16 years old and still healthy, just old. Diamond Brand is great food for dogs and cats.
    Got fabric?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2