Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Phone Calls and Dinner Time

Do any of you get phone calls from the Sherifs Dept, (sp)Highway Patrol, Police Dept, etc at dinner time and they ask for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ It is so irritating! They all have the same script%$#@ - Do you know HOW I CAN GET THEM TO STOP???????????????????????????................... ......whew! Thanks

I usually just politely ask them to take me off their calling list. It's worked so far. :-)

We always told them we would be happy to donate if they paid the rent/mortgage for the month. After a couple times of being told that, they quit calling. Now we don't have a land line and don't get those annoying calls anymore.:)

I had told them we donated on our tax return and that is enough. We had asked to be removed before, they promised, and then----------RING>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RING!!

bj
    I just let the phone ring. Nobody calls on the land line much. If it's important and we know them, they'll leave a message and we call back when we're ready.

I know how you feel. We have tried ever trick in the book to get them to stop calling and they just keep on. I do know that our local Fire Dept. has never called asking for donations, so I think that is a Scam! My ex-Son in law works for the Sherrif's Dept & he said they are not calling asking for donations either. I've repeated this to the callers & hang up on them, but I have gotten another call since then. Grrrrrr

Banned
    I let the answering machine pick up :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Those calls are so annoying...
    You can call and register with the Do Not Call line, the soliciation calls stop pretty quickly :D:D:D

www.donotcall.gov/register/RegConf.aspx?6958FA5C-F85C-4F59-891F-F1570FC81DCF

We have caller ID - so I just don't answer

I told Emmanuel to answer the phone and tell them about the baseball game he had that day. No more calls.

JJs
    Banned
    A lot of those are scams - not affiliated with your local police/sheriff/fire department at all.
    It's best to just tell them you can't help out right now. Then they will insist for a few minutes. My DH usually says, "we aren't interested, you have a nice day" and hangs up...

Power Poster
    If I'm really bored - I ask them - and what percentage goes to ____ and what percentage goes to "administrative costs"?

That usually gets rid of them. :mrgreen:

Banned
    maddening isn't it? i just got to where i let the answer machine take them

Next time I get a call I am going to go along with it and then ask what I have to do to get part of their donation. LMBO

Power Poster
    Have you noticed more calls from the "charity pick up " places?

We get a lot of them....but I usually tell them I haven't worked in 2 1/2 years and can't do it...if they are persistant, I say " well, I'll have to let you talk to my husband and put the receiver down on the table and continue to sew or watch TV or do whatever I was doing"
    They always give up after a few minutes.. :lol: :lol:

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I always tell them I should be asking for the donation cause we are poor. It's been a while sense I have heard from them.

Power Poster
    Sometimes I tell them to "have a good day" if they are polite, and then tell them to try the next call because it might be more productive.

If the caller ID says no name and/or no number, we ignore it. Figure if it's important, the caller will leave a message.

We had a small carpet cleaning business and always donated to the Sherriffs office in their quest to buy Christmas presents for kids without. Now that the business in closed they call and ask anyway....really try to make you feel guilty. I usually don't answer now. Or tell them our kids are now on their list to GIVE to!

I pick it up... wait till some one answers and make them wait for a couple minutes then hang up. I know that some of those dialing things with the call centers are set that they will continue to call until they get an answer on the line 2-3 times. If I remember correctly they can only call so many times in a month, but some of those programs are set up to only count it if someone answers.

those years of working in a call center... the info you gather!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    One of my boys use to crack me up so that I almost wet my pants! When a solicitor called the first thing they usually ask is "How are you"? Well my son would make up a huge story about the worst possible things that could happen to someone ( lost his job, sick, house burned down, etc) and that would send the person off the phone fast!
    When he went to college he did the "do not call" thing for me and it worked. I rarely receive any of the stuff now :D:D

Banned
    i have caller id on my cell phone, i dont answer unless I want to.

ohhhhhh these are some good suggestions! I had "registered" before, but they keep coming! -------- If we don't answer the phone, they just keep calling back! The one that called yesterday sounded like he was 15! Who knows - he MAY have been!!

Blog Entries
    the do not call only works on companies trying to sell you things, not asking for money or donations.
    get caller ID or ask them for their number to call them back. they won't give it!

i put my phone on hold until after supper, my phone also lets me block callers,cool

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast