phrases that puzzle me

Old 12-01-2009, 08:38 AM

'Wordish' things drive me up the wall but misspelled words are just as bad and there's a lot of that. Didn't anyone learn how to spell during their 'schooling'?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

I've noticed a lot of "unconventional spelling" -

I've also noticed that different countries (UK, for example) have different spellings for words than the American (USA) English
Old 12-01-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Mel, I just figured out you would be the perfect person to ask this: We have a family recipe handed down for at least 5 generations from a gr-gr-gma from Montreal. It is for egg dumplings with chicken, like a really hearty chicken noodle soup, and it's always been called "Glissants/Glissance". I know that literally translates to "slippery", but is it a colloquialism for noodles too?
Well, I had to google it, since I'd never heard of it, but I think it is a colloquialism, but from like, 50 years ago. I looked on lots of forums and it's all people in their 40s or 50s looking for grandma's recipe for these dumplings- exactly what it translates to. Basically the glissantes are the noodles, usually cut into squares, and they throw them into soups or stews, often of beef stock instead of chicken but I saw both. I'm sure if I asked my dad or his brothers and sisters they would know what you're talking about, but I never had any... or maybe I did but I never knew what they were called.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Banned

Thanks Mel. Yeah, it would be an old phrase, since the gma that passed down the recipe died in the late 1890's! And yes, the noodle dough is rolled out and then you cut squares, about 2-3 inches in size. Drop them in a rolling boil chicken stock (we still cook a chicken all day then debone it). It's GOOD!

And if someone wants the recipe, you can direct them to me.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 AM

yep, that's the way they say to do it. Leave the whole chicken to simmer all day, then use the stock to boil your noodles in :)

Small world, eh?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 AM

Lots of folks say Do you know what I mean. If I knew what they meant they wouldn't have to tell me. There are a lot of crazy sayings around here. Guess it depends on where you live.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:37 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Loretta
Yes we changed the spellings during our "rebellion". LOL!
But I think you're winning the battle - my spell check DARES to underline in red words like 'colour', 'customise', 'labour' and 'mitre', even though I've spelled them correctly! :shock: :lol:
Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 AM

I hear people saying "deja vu all over again." Deja vu means "all over again"! Saying "deja vu all over again" is the same as saying "all over again all over again." "Deja vu" by itself suffices.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
But I think you're winning the battle - my spell check DARES to underline in red words like 'colour', 'customise', 'labour' and 'mitre', even though I've spelled them correctly! :shock: :lol:
Mine too!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:48 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
Originally Posted by k3n
Mine too!
Maybe we should start a rebellion of our own Mel! Do you call the stuff you put in the middle of a quilt 'batting' or 'wadding' BTW?