Pinking Shears...

Old 11-16-2023, 08:10 AM

Default Pinking Shears...

Was into my notions basket just the other day and couldn't help but think how long it's been since I used my old pinking shears. Been so long now I can't even recall what exactly I use then for.

Nevertheless, my old pinking shears brought back memories of the old pinked-edge cloth diapers. Horrible way to finish the edges of diapers, because the edges frayed something awful and in no time at all diapers looked tattered with all of the loose threads.

Still love seeing swatches with their pinked edges. Some things old-fashioned never go out of style.

How long has it been since you used pinking shears?

Old 11-16-2023, 08:17 AM

I use mine to cut strips of fabric to tie around gifts instead of ribbon. More appreciated than ribbon!
Old 11-16-2023, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I have mine from my sewing classes in school. I have thought about having them sharpened, just haven't done it. They are Wiss stainless steel I guess. Not sure about the metal but they are shiny
Old 11-16-2023, 09:33 AM

I used mine just last week to pink the edges of a fabric I bought for an art project. It's not 100% cotton, some kind of blend, but it frayed horribly. Pinked the cut edges and Bob was my uncle. 😁😁
Old 11-16-2023, 09:39 AM

I don't do much garment construction or costuming any more but I used my pinking shears a lot for those things. A couple of years ago was the last time I remember using them, but I do know right where they are. Just before Covid I made a dragon costume for my husband to wear to a XFL Seattle Dragons football game. Needed them for both curves and raveling satin fabrics. Picture below is hubby -- he said he would wear it if I made it! Took a green adult onesie from the thrift store (there were surprisingly a LOT of adult onesies...) and added scales and such. The picture doesn't show the scales so much, looking for the other shots.

I typically use little snips now when I have curved pieces like grandmother's fan blocks, but I will also use my pinking shears for that.
Attached Thumbnails todd-rawr.jpg  
Old 11-16-2023, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

I use mine a lot for when I do raw edge machine applique. I bought new pair as mine were my grandmothers. They are as heavy as a hammer and dull. The new ones cut like butter and very lightweight. About $10. ZXUY Pinking Shears.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:55 PM

For many years, I made decorative deer from velvet and a pinking shears was a must when cutting out the patterns. The last one I made was 20 years ago and my pinking shears has been in my scissors drawer ever since.
Old 11-16-2023, 04:18 PM

My pinking shears are over 50 years old now and my hands cannot use them to cut anything! So I bought the Fiskars rotary cutter with a pinking shear blade. It's been used once.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:31 AM

Love everyone's entries!

Fun to hear from everyone, so keep the stories coming!
Old 11-17-2023, 04:59 AM

I use mine to cut out hearts for ifoundaquiltedheart.com