Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Pinterest - Important information. >

Pinterest - Important information.

Pinterest - Important information.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

I didn't sign up at Pinterest using any social networking login. No contacts from my Facebook or Google + account was accessed. You have to read the options when signing up. I signed up with a free gmail email account made just for Pinterest, all made up info. Pinterest can access all that they want. No emails come to that address except Pinterest emails. I never sign up for any online subscriptions using my personal email. I use throw away emails addresses.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:26 PM

I noticed this evening when I went to Pinterest that they have new Terms of Service to be effective 4/6/12 that will address people's concerns.

Here's a link to the info: http://blog.pinterest.com/post/19799...-updated-terms

I'm going to keep my boards.

Last edited by mzzzquilts; 03-23-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: added link
Old 03-23-2012, 04:49 PM

I'm keeping my boards, too. I like Pinterest and it is fun to see what my friends and family are pinning. I've seen some awesome quilts pinned and gotten some great ideas from Pinterest. I'm glad they're changing their terms, although I did read them but didn't take them to mean they would actually sell things. Perhaps now others who were reluctant will sign up and enjoy it as much as I do.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:51 PM

I wonder how many of you post pictures of your work to pinterest, or even post pictures you have found on the internet on your board at this site?

Did you, like me just click when you had to agree to the contract and terms when you started using it?

I sure did and was very concerned after reading your post this morning. I've been thinking all day long about deactivating my account with them. Then, tonight, on Facebook, they had a fresh post about most of your concerns.

Pinterest was telling everyone they have changed their terms of service. They said they never had any intention of selling anyone's ideas. They claim they just adopted another social network's info without really considering what it all meant. They have changed all the parts people were growing concerned about.

Hope this sets your mind at ease.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:11 AM

I just received an email from pinterest today and they are re-writing their contract and eliminating the selling portion.

Updated Terms of Service

Over the last few weeks, we've been working on an update to our Terms. When we first launched Pinterest, we used a standard set of Terms. We think that the updated Terms of Service, Acceptable Use Policy, and Privacy Policy are easier to understand and better reflect the direction our company is headed in the future. We'd encourage you to read these changes in their entirety, but we thought there were a few changes worth noting.

• Our original Terms stated that by posting content to Pinterest you grant Pinterest the right for to sell your content. Selling content was never our intention and we removed this from our updated Terms.
• We updated our Acceptable Use Policy and we will not allow pins that explicitly encourage self-harm or self-abuse.
• We released simpler tools for anyone to report alleged copyright or trademark infringements.
• Finally, we added language that will pave the way for new features such as a Pinterest API and Private Pinboards.

We think these changes are important and we encourage you to review the new documents here. These terms will go into effect for all users on April 6, 2012.

Like everything at Pinterest, these updates are a work in progress that we will continue to improve upon. We're working hard to make Pinterest the best place for you to find inspiration from people who share your interest. We've gotten a lot of help from our community as we've crafted these Terms.

Thanks!
Ben & the Pinterest Team
Old 03-24-2012, 04:21 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I didn't sign up at Pinterest using any social networking login. No contacts from my Facebook or Google + account was accessed. You have to read the options when signing up. I signed up with a free gmail email account made just for Pinterest, all made up info. Pinterest can access all that they want. No emails come to that address except Pinterest emails. I never sign up for any online subscriptions using my personal email. I use throw away emails addresses.
Me too..I do not "sign in with Facebook". Do all of you read all the agreements for the many sites entered..I do not think so. And anyway, Pinterest just updated their policy...
Old 03-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

Instead of bookmarking an image I pin it. Much easier. If you don't want the image you posted online pinned, disable the ability. Pinterest has the easy directions to disable pinning on their website.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

I didn't find any info. There is a disclaimer stating that the blog doesn't exist. So what is the scoop?
peace