Please BEWARE

Old 05-09-2012, 09:14 AM

Default Please BEWARE

I just got off the phone with a man who identified himself as someone calling from Microsoft Solutions and told me that in order to help me that I had to be in front of my computer so he could point out the viruses to help me keep my computer safe. I looked at the number he was calling from - UNAVAILABLE 999-.......- thank goodness for caller ID. I told him that I was not in front of my computer and that I was headed out to an appointment - just give me a number so I can call back later. He disconnected the call. I know that Microsoft does not call out to its customers- there is a section on their website about this SCAM phone calling scheme. I want to point it out to all of you so you can stay scam free and be on alert.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 AM

There are so many different scams ... and some are pretty good at scaring you into doing something you normally wouldn't. A great guideline - if you did not initiate the call, do not provide any information - not credit card, not any identifying personal information.

If there is a legitimate issue you do need to deal with, you get a call from your credit card company or whatever - tell the caller that you always verify calls like this - hang up and call the number you already know and trust from dealing with that company. A little like calling the utility company before you let a worker into your house.

One of the latest scams is the 'bad guy' calling you, already knowing your name and address and have your credit card. They are posing as fraud investigators from the credit card issuer. They tell you that they need to verify that you have the card in your possession - all you have to do is turn the card over and provide them with the security code. What is happening - they have stolen your identity information and credit card information and as soon as they have that security code, they can then use your card.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 AM

Might be a good idea to not say you're heading out, either. No need to let a stranger know, when you won't be at home.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 AM

yes alot of things going on I don't answer phone calls if I don't recognize the phone number, or they don't leave a message.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Might be a good idea to not say you're heading out, either. No need to let a stranger know, when you won't be at home.
I really wasn't leaving but he didn't know that. Just wanted to see if he would actually give me his number. Can't leave as I have UFOs.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:19 PM

Unless I recognize the phone number, I don't pick up. I let the answering machine take care of it. 95% of the time there is no message.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by nivosum View Post
Unless I recognize the phone number, I don't pick up. I let the answering machine take care of it. 95% of the time there is no message.
I never used to screen my calls but now I do because many times the 800 numbers calling me hang up when I don't pick up.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the heads up. We all have to be our own police in these matters and when we can share info it helps everyone.
peace
Old 05-09-2012, 02:05 PM

I screen all calls now...I am very tired of hearing "I am a professional fund raiser....". I have raised money for several organizations and never did it by calling everyone in the phone book!

I know times are hard and I give what I can and to organizations I know are in need. I especially like to give to the needs of people in this area and there are many!!! The number of homeless children has more than doubled in the last 2 years in the county in which I live. Okay, I am climbing down off of my soap box now...
Old 05-09-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by fred singer View Post
yes alot of things going on I don't answer phone calls if I don't recognize the phone number, or they don't leave a message.
I'm the same way... especially with the ZILLION of calls we get here in WI with all the political turmoil... LOL! I figure if it's important, they'll call back. Plus, my immediate circle knows a "code" to use with their calls if they want me to answer right away.