Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
please be extra careful with your credit cards. >

please be extra careful with your credit cards.

please be extra careful with your credit cards.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:13 AM

I got an email yesterday that was a little scary. I never know if these stories are true but it was something to think about. A man who belonged to a gym found that his locker had been broken in to, I'm assuming some cash had been stolen but the man looked and saw that his credit cards were there. Apparently one of his credit cards had been switched with someone elses expired card. He never knew because he never took his cards out of the little slots. Anyway lot's and lot's of purchases were made with the stolen card which he was supposedly responsible for because he never reported the card missing.

Another example was given about a waitress who took a customer's credit card and when the card and receipt came back it was the same kind of credit card but again it was one that had someone else's name on it and it was expired.

The thought never occured to me that something like this could happen at a restaurant but stranger things have happened. From now on I think I'd rather pay at the cash register.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:16 AM

Wow.. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM

Even if you lose a credit card, and get it back, you should cancel that card and get a different number.
You may think it was a good Samaritan who found your card and gave it back, but it could have been a thief, who is counting on you NOT to report is as stolen, and who now has your CC number and may use it in the future when your guard is down.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM

Also, they dont even have to take or swap the card. The waiter/waitress can have a little device that they swipe the card thru, and it captures the card information. You can have possession of the card, and never realize it is being used for fraudulent purchases. However, as long as you review your statement promptly and report any unauthorized charges, you are NOT liable.

And, those little machines that capture your card information can also be attached to ATM machines.. so, always look at the machine before you use it, to be sure there isnt an odd/extra piece on the part where the card goes in. If you are suspicious, contact the bank and let them know about your concerns.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Yeah, there was a story exactly like that here in Colorado @ a 24hr fitness in Aurora.Although I don't remember if the news said whether or not those people ( at least 2..) lock thier lockers or not; I can see how it could happen... at the 24 hr fitness we go to , the overnight person seemd to have alot of people visit him at 3:30a when we were there...you know, not dressed to work out, hanging out at the counter.... who knows what they were doing in the Mens locker room....
Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Radiana
I got an email yesterday that was a little scary.I never know if these stories are true but it was something to think about.
Was there a link to click through to sign up to protect your cards?
;-)

I just don't understand.
CC's are in daily constant use for how many decades?
It's not a novelty anymore.

Does that mean the guy never looked at his bill to notice the fraudulent charges?
For months?
Because you've got at least 60 days.
Common sense to check those things.
Which is why I call BS on the email.

Could it happen?
Yeah.
But it's more likely someone's precious child will swipe the cc and use it than someone switching it at the gym.

And the US is actually behind Europe/Asia/Latam etc in the technology we use regarding swiping cc cards. They're all using chips, which are much harder to counterfeit and are more secure.

Hopefully things will change soon and we'll join the modern world:
http://www.money-rates.com/advanceds...technology.htm
Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Banned

These are kinda scary. Maybe check card service. I checked Discover and if someone uses my card and the vendor did not verify signature or was used online and not shipped to address on my account, Discover refunds the money back to my card. I feel bad for the seller but he should have checked the info when he made the sale.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
These are kinda scary. Maybe check card service. I checked Discover and if someone uses my card and the vendor did not verify signature or was used online and not shipped to address on my account, Discover refunds the money back to my card. I feel bad for the seller but he should have checked the info when he made the sale.
Normally the merchant isnt responsible either. The Bank or Credit Card company eats it. As long as "someone" signs it, it doesnt even matter what the signature says. There are fees that the merchant pays, called interchange fees that are charged on each purchase made with a credit card, these fees are paid to the banks/credit card companies to help compensate for the losses that they have for fraudulent card usage. However, now the government has reduced the fees to a flat rate fee instead of a percentage. But, I will leave that at that, because that is a whole can of worms that doesnt need to be opened.. :)
Old 09-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

when getting gasoline one day, the clerk gave my Hubby the wrong card back.....
Old 09-15-2011, 02:01 PM

SOmeone tried to buy wedding flowers on my credit card.
The bank called. They had put a $1 charge through first to make sure my card was good. I am glad I didn't see the $5200 they tried to charge. I cancelled the card. I don't use credit.