POP BEADS

Old 09-06-2010, 05:29 AM

The thread about different foreign coins made me think of this.
I help elderly folks (as if I weren't one myself!) and sometimes they ask me if there is anything I would like to have. The only thing I've ever mentioned is pop beads from the 50's. I was so enchanted with them when I was a child and was not allowed to look at jewelry or make up.....tabu. But, I always wanted those beautiful beads that you pop together, pop apart and mix. I know they had earrings that were clip ons. I never got to see them close up. I had a teacher who wore hers everyday with a different colored leaf shaped pop on. Does anyone have any earrings they would part with?? or just a picture would do. I want to know in my old age that I haven't hallucinated. and if I am, I surely have enjoyed it. lol

Blessings,
Ruth
Old 09-06-2010, 05:36 AM

Ruth, I found this link,so you weren't hallucinating, LOL!

http://www.auntjudysattic.com/Antique_Jewelery2.htm

Those are around $25, but here's a replica for $3.99:

http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/heyvi..._Style_Jewelry

This site is all 50's stuff. She sells the pop beads loose in a bag of 100 for $3.99:

http://secure11.actionhosting.ca/hey...sp?itemid=1008
Old 09-06-2010, 05:41 AM

OK you are not so old. I used to have a ton of the beads in a box and would play with them nonstop. Made them for me and my dolls, Charming Chatty was my favorite. Glad she found you a place to get some. And I think you should. LOL. Let us know. With Halloween coming up I must add that I loved buying the "red lips" and the orange harmonica in wax and then eating them. The taste was so good to me. Chewed it up and spit it out. Strange things we remember. They still have them too. I look at them and am tempted at times. Now I am definitely going to buy one this year and just enjoy. HUGS
Old 09-06-2010, 05:41 AM

Sorry, I do not have any.
But you have revived memories :-D that I have not thought of in YEARS!!!
My sisters and I got them for Christmas one year!
We were "grand ladies' for a long time!!
If you find any--be sure to post them on here - it would be nice to see them again!!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:42 AM

Walmart used to carry them in their craft department but they don't now.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:45 AM

I never would have remembered the pop beads if you had not mentioned them. I had them but they got left behind when I went off to college. Who know where they ended up.

Originally Posted by mrspete
The thread about different foreign coins made me think of this.
I help elderly folks (as if I weren't one myself!) and sometimes they ask me if there is anything I would like to have. The only thing I've ever mentioned is pop beads from the 50's. I was so enchanted with them when I was a child and was not allowed to look at jewelry or make up.....tabu. But, I always wanted those beautiful beads that you pop together, pop apart and mix. I know they had earrings that were clip ons. I never got to see them close up. I had a teacher who wore hers everyday with a different colored leaf shaped pop on. Does anyone have any earrings they would part with?? or just a picture would do. I want to know in my old age that I haven't hallucinated. and if I am, I surely have enjoyed it. lol

Blessings,
Ruth
Old 09-06-2010, 05:51 AM

I have one strand of pop beads and love them. Although they aren't the same ones that I played with as a child, they're close enough. I can't part with them. But I do remember the clip earrings that you could pop different beads onto. They weren't quite the same as the necklace ones. The earring ones only had the hole in them not the shaft. Avon also made ones that looked like flattened shank buttons that popped onto a back. I think that you got 4 different color sets when you ordered the backing. If my memory serves me correctly there were several different sets you could get to fit the backings. Boy has that ever brought back old memories.

p.s. the ones I have are pearly pale pink
Old 09-06-2010, 05:58 AM

Oh wow! What a blast from the past! I don't remember earrings, but I sure remember the necklaces I made with those things! I loved them....wonder what ever happened to them? I also remember those wax lips and harmonica or pan pipe type wax things filled with colored sugar water...how about the wax mini coke bottles in a six pack remember them? Oh, oh, and how about the candy cigarettes and candy lipstick (vibrant red - as was your mouth when you ate it) with the bottom wrapped in gold paper to look like a sophisticated lipstick tube. And I think you can still find the fake mini ice cream cones with marshmallow ice cream. Man! I haven't thought about those things for years!

Hope you find your pop bead earrings. Thanks for the memories of my childhood. :thumbup:
Old 09-06-2010, 06:20 AM

(as nursy76 said)WOW that is a blast from the past, I had some many years ago and loved them I think mine were only red ones but you could buy others to mix and match
Old 09-06-2010, 06:25 AM

I'd love to play with those pop beads while I chewed on my wax lips! They look like a lot of fun!