Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Office flat rate envelope alert

Post Office flat rate envelope alert

Just a heads up to all who use the flat rate envelope to ship fabric. I just went to the post office, and was informed that my flat rate envelope was now $9.85 even though it was in the $5.15 flat rate envelope. I was informed that because I had used tape to close the envelope it was no longer "a flat rate". I had 4 1/2 yards of fabric and had shipped this , like this many many times before. I was also informed that they are cracking down on the use of the priority flat rate envelopes.... any tape to close or seal... and regular priority rates will be charged. I expained that I had used tape as I did not trust the glue to hold ... they said "if the glue on the envelope will not hold or I do not trust it to hold" ... its no longer flat rate.
    I guess "if it fits, it ships " has new rules. Needless to say I was not a happy camper.

The "no tape" rule has been around, for years . . . just not enforced. Guess with the price of everything going up, they have to start cracking down on it. :-(
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    you should have tried a different post office. they do vary a lot in who you get!!
    my postman told me to take my quilt to the post office and use a flat rate box. i stood in line forever and was told they didn't have a flat rate box large enough. it wasn't a big quilt. i drove over to Walmart and got a box for .67 cents and then back to the post office. jeesh.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    I was told that about the flat rate envelopes but was okay to put in a padded flat rate envelope was okay. But yes they are cracking down and come January I was told the rates are going up. So I have decided to stop doing a lot of swaps as between the fabric cost and shipping it is getting to be too much for my budget.
    ​Christine

Yes, I was also told that FRE will go up in January. I am finishing up a Civil War block swap, and with the cost of fabric, and postage, I am sad to say that I may not be hosting anymore, even though I enjoy it so very much. I use the padded envelopes ordered on-line, and they will remain $5.30 till January 1.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

just glue it down.....

Quote Originally Posted by huntannette View Post
    just glue it down.....

i agree with you!!!!!!!
    "Some people have bunches of WIPs (works in progress) and UFOs (unfinished objects)....I prefer to think of them as PhDs (Projects Half Done)!!" ~Elena Boen
    "Just keep in mind that your function here is to have fun and not to be someone else's interior decorator! So ... go forth and have fun!" ~Krystyna
    I cannot count my day complete 'til needle, thread and fabric meet.

I think it depends on who is working that day...! So sad to think of our postal rates going up again. When I am sure there is more shipping being done today then ever before ....yet the postal service is "Broke". All I can do is shake my head....

I commenting to my daughter today, if we should check into UPS of Fed Ex. Does anyone know if they are cheaper? I got a weird one a few days ago when I shipped a quilt and the clerk said we had changed the shape of the box. It was okay if it bulged but that it had to meet on top. We hadn't changed anything but the pack of boxes we got looked like they had been dropped a few times so one of the corners was beat up. I'll have to remember not to tape the envelopes anymore.

Blog Entries
    Interesting. In Canada our equivalent of a flat rate envelope is $10.00 for a small one and when I drop them off at teh post office, the counter clerk adds tape to secure it.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by ragquilter View Post
    I commenting to my daughter today, if we should check into UPS of Fed Ex. Does anyone know if they are cheaper? I got a weird one a few days ago when I shipped a quilt and the clerk said we had changed the shape of the box. It was okay if it bulged but that it had to meet on top. We hadn't changed anything but the pack of boxes we got looked like they had been dropped a few times so one of the corners was beat up. I'll have to remember not to tape the envelopes anymore.
    It has been my experience that these are both more expensive. My grandchildren are in WA State and I am in Louisiana so there is a lot of mailing going on.

Blog Entries
    Personally, i woould have went to another p.o.
    where i live on the island, within one half hour, there is at least trn p.o.s maybe more.

Your PO was wrong. As long as you have not changed the shape of the envelope, tape is OK. I use it all the time, I never send a FRE without tape over the closure, sometimes along the edges as well. Maybe next time, bring it in sealed, show the clerk that it is sealed normally, THEN put your piece of tape over the seal.

Some clerks like to make up their own rules. And don't let anyone tell you it has to be FLAT either - the flat refers to the rate!!!!

Blog Entries
    New Rates according to US Post Office.

http://about.usps.com/news/national-...r12_114.htmNew domestic retail pricing for Priority Mail Flat Rate products include:

•Small box — $5.80
    •Medium box — $12.35
    •Large box — $16.85
    •Large APO/FPO box — $14.85
    •Regular envelope — $5.60
    •Legal envelope — $5.75
    •Padded envelope — $5.95

I use nothing but shoe boxes. I sent out 4 yards of fabric to my friend cost $4.95. all my friends save me kids shoe boxes. Big or small one. Never use PO boxes.

I have mailed a lot of packages, even APO when DD and family were in Japan, and have learned that postal workers do and say different things. I have taken my package and walked out the door. So now if possible, I use the flat rate packaging and pay online. The padded flat rate envelope is $5.10 with free delivery confirmation if you use the online postage method and you can list the recipient's email so they can see the tracking, too. All of the FR packaging is discounted postage with free delivery confirmation.

Ohhhhh, don't get me started on the post office!! I found out yesterday that they returned some mail sent to be as undeliverable - I've lived at the same address since 1994 and it's not out in the boonies! I'm getting mail but I don't know what I'm NOT getting!! I have found out about 2 things - one is getting sent back so we'll see if I get it the second go round. The other one is still missing. Such incompetence!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Blog Entries
    Definitely depends on the clerk. I have found that sometimes depending on distance or weight, it is still cheaper to use regular priority than flat rate. Also, it has been a while since I checked, but I think UPS is cheaper for heavier things and the post office is cheaper for bulky light items.
    every cloud has a silver lining but sometimes it is hard to get to the mint

Hmmmm.... our family has had/received 'flat rate' boxes come unglued and arrive empty. So, I've used tape since that incident. Guess I'll start using glue, too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susansomethings View Post
    I think it depends on who is working that day...! So sad to think of our postal rates going up again. When I am sure there is more shipping being done today then ever before ....yet the postal service is "Broke".
    Problem is people aren't shipping with the post office.

Quote Originally Posted by ragquilter View Post
    I cannot comment on Fed Ex, but I sure can on UPS. When I was shipping books out last time, I thought I would save some time, and hit the UPS office since its just around the corner. Wow was I in for a surprise. They were almost triple what the PO was charging. But since I was already there and in a hurry I sent them out anyway. But never again. I also had sold a carosel on ebay, and I boxed it myself. Went to the UPS store they wanted $25 to ship!! I had sold it for $25, so I would make no money on it. I loaded it all back up in the car, and went to the PO who charged me $5 or so, and even gave me some bubble wrap things to throw in there free of charge (UPS wanted to charge me for these). So I do very little business with the UPS store now. I do realize they are independently owned and they have to make a profit too, but geez I think they were a bit over board.
    Amythyst

Quote Originally Posted by susansomethings View Post
    I think it depends on who is working that day...! So sad to think of our postal rates going up again. When I am sure there is more shipping being done today then ever before ....yet the postal service is "Broke". All I can do is shake my head....
    It is Broke because Congress keeping interfering and telling them how they have to run it. If they could make business decisions like anyone running a business - would be entirely different!
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Amythyst02 View Post
    I cannot comment on Fed Ex, but I sure can on UPS. When I was shipping books out last time, I thought I would save some time, and hit the UPS office since its just around the corner. Wow was I in for a surprise. They were almost triple what the PO was charging. But since I was already there and in a hurry I sent them out anyway. But never again. I also had sold a carosel on ebay, and I boxed it myself. Went to the UPS store they wanted $25 to ship!! I had sold it for $25, so I would make no money on it. I loaded it all back up in the car, and went to the PO who charged me $5 or so, and even gave me some bubble wrap things to throw in there free of charge (UPS wanted to charge me for these). So I do very little business with the UPS store now. I do realize they are independently owned and they have to make a profit too, but geez I think they were a bit over board.
    I ship UPS, but not at the UPS Store where they charge for everything including boxes and bubble wrap. We have a UPS office (where all the trucks load up and they sort the boxes) and I get much better rate there. So, box up my shipments and take them there.
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

i SAY, IF POSSIBLE, GO TO ANOTHER POST OFFICE. i REALIZE IF YOU AREN'T IN A FAIRLY LARGE TOWN OR CITY, THAT MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE. RATS that stupid cap lock, sorry. And it is true, depends on who is waiting on customers at the window. No all clerks are customer orientated.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltgal View Post
    It is Broke because Congress keeping interfering and telling them how they have to run it. If they could make business decisions like anyone running a business - would be entirely different!

Exactly. Now I'm not saying they are perfect by any means but Congress does dictate how it is run.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast