Pre-Trip Check

Old 08-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

Default Pre-Trip Check

I should do this more often - and the reason for this post is that one of my sons has been driving a car for several weeks with a brake light that is not working.

How often do you think to check to make sure all your lights are working? This includes turn signals, brake lights, four-way flashers - whatever else your car might have. It's hard to tell from inside one's car if the brake lights are working.

How often do you think to walk all the way around your car to check for scratches and dents? As far as that goes, it is probably a good idea to walk around one's car before getting into it every time one drives it.

How often do you check the air pressure in your tires (or have it checked)? How much tread is on your tires?

Vital fluids - oil, antifreeze/water, windshield washer fluid, transmission fluid?

Your battery?

How much gas/fuel/battery charge you have?

Do you have your driver's license with you and other necessary paperwork in your car?

Right now, My DH does this - and I appreciate his doing so.

Also - do you know where your spare tire is? Or if you even have one? Is it still usable? (I would call for help to change a tire.)

Last edited by bearisgray; 08-20-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:57 AM

I park in my garage. Its dark in the mornings when I leave. My brake lights reflect off of my garage door so I can see if I have a bulb out. My head lights reflect off of the neighbors house across the street so I know if that goes out. I always walk around my car and check for scratches and dings. I don't have a spare tire. My car has the run flat tires on it. In other words if I get a flat I can drive about 20 miles to the next place to get it fixed. My car is new enough that it has the bells and whistles to let me know if I have a flat tire, low in gas or something is wrong with my battery.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:59 AM

I check my car regularly, and do a full check, as you have outlined, before a long journey. All lights are replaced as soon as the warning lights come on, and it is illegal to drive here with defective lights, you are honour bound to fix as soon as practical.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:02 AM

My car is always outdoors, no garage. I check the fluids routinely as well as the tires. I take it in once a year for a check-up and my mechanic checks everything out and lets me know what, if anything, needs to be done. The biggest problem for my car is "salt". The salt used in the winter is awful for the cars in Michigan. Rust, Rust and more Rust. Even with routine washing the car still suffers with rust after many years. My car is a 2002 Ford and is beginning to rust now. It only has 62000 miles on it and runs so well. Not bad for a car that is 17 years old.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:32 AM

My Hubby does all these things about once a week on all our vehicles. He's super handy with cars.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I have roadside assistance so as long as I have a cell signal, I’m good.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

My car goes in once a year for oil change, tire rotation, alignment, all the checks. A light, well the police will let me know about that if one goes out. I have AAA so never worry about a break down. I called AAA to fix a flat in my driveway. DH was away and I couldn't get the spare out of the bracket underneath the SUV. Be sure you can get the spare out and if your hubcaps need a tool to unlock the lug housing. The lugs are put on so tight with impact wrench that I doubt I could loosen them by hand or foot. It's too dangerous to be on the side of the road without a good roadside assistant plan or family nearby.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:01 PM

Make sure there is air in the spare. AAA came to hlep a freind with a flat. Her spare was flat. They didn't even carry a compressor. Really??
Old 08-20-2019, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have roadside assistance so as long as I have a cell signal, I’m good.
My poor little car is a 12 yr. old Nissan with almost 63,000 miles on it. I have to admit, I don't check anything on it, but I take it in every 6 months for an oil change, tire rotation, etc. They inspect the important stuff. Except for the required maintenance things, like new tires and battery, nothing bad has happened.

I do have roadside assistance through my car insurance just in case. ... I'm old! I don't change tires, check fluid , etc. ... I just stick the key in and drive!
Old 08-20-2019, 01:21 PM

Both my vehicles are well maintained and I check on everything on a regular basis. Both vehicles carry jumper cables, portable air compressor, reflective vests, tow straps/recovery straps, reflective markers for the side of the road, a first aid kit and 2 head lamps (keeps hands free when you need to check on something) a quilt and some energy bars. During the winter I keep kitty litter, a shovel and extra washer fluid too. I also have AAA and roadside service from a few credit cards, I call both and who gets there first gets the job. But at least I’m prepared in case those options are not available. It’s important to know how to do these things if at all possible! Nothing worse than waiting hours for AAA, I once waited over 4 hours!