Price of postage...YIKES!

Old 11-22-2020, 04:24 AM

Unhappy Price of postage...YIKES!

Saturday mailed a small box to WI weighing just over 1 pound and it was $11.00! Have to rethink what I'll be sending to her. Wonder if shipping charges will be lower after the holidays and COVID is done.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:03 AM

Sometimes it pays to use the flat rate boxes. I have a quilting friend in Australia and last year for Christmas I was going to send her a small box of "things", the box was maybe 4" square, weighed less than a pound, was going to cost $27.00, didn't send it. I sent her something earlier this year, in a 8x11 envelope, gal at the P.O. said would be $6.00, but by the time she got through with the "paper work", it came to $18.00!!! I asked her what happened to the $6, said she didn't know.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:17 AM

Back in 2010 I bought a book of 20 stamps. Most all my bills get paid thru the internet so I rarely send a letter of sorts. Finally after 10 yrs, I used up the last of the 20 stamps which back then cost me $.42 each. Now I've been buying rolls of 100 stamps at $.55 each. I don't mind the raise in prices, just wish they did a better job in shipping and delivering the mail and packages. But at least my mail persons will ring the doorbell when they leave a package as UPS and FedEx will not and I leave my front inner door open so they know someone is home too.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I don't expect postage rates to decrease after the holidays. They never do.
There was an increase a couple of months ago. I have an online business where they want everyone to offer free shipping. I used to but it's impossible for me anymore.
The lowest for First Class is over 3.00 and not many things are only a couple of ounces.
I use flat-rate boxes whenever possible. Still expensive though. When it's for my kids I don't care but otherwise I do.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:11 AM

Most likely the rates aren't going down. Yes, postage is expensive. I just consider how much it would take me drive the package to them and justify the price. LOL!

It may be cheaper if you make a personal account for shipping. I have an account at both of the main shippers. You can make labels and calculate prices at home.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

I like to do online shopping with stores that have free shipping, sure saves with kids and grans living in other states. I usually do a small box but use Priority Boxes and that is expensive.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:15 AM

I love the flat rate boxes. Sure, it may seem like a lot but they provide the packaging and tracking and a base amount of insurance are all covered.

Is not the best way maybe to send something like a pillow or a t-shirt -- but if you want to send some marble bookends, they are the way to go!

Small box the size of a paperback book/vhs tape is roughly $9.00. Middle size $14, and large $20. Whatever fits, ships.

Early in the epidemic a friend of mine had plenty of flour but yeast was the thing she couldn't get. I bought a 2 lb or something like that package from Costco, which fit diagonally in the medium box. Since I had room, I threw in a couple rolls of fancy/nice Charmin for padding and then I laughed and went out to my garden, picked up a small (fist sized rock) washed it off, put in a baggy with a note that: Yes, this is a rock. Because this is a flat rate package and I think I'm funny.

Fortunately, my friend thinks I'm funny too and was down to the last rolls of paper on the spindles and none in the stores when the package arrived
Old 11-22-2020, 08:16 AM

I use the post office to send a good number of packages. Everything from quilt block swap blocks to gifts for my grandchildren. I try to avoid international posting of packages because of duty charges. It can't be helped many times. I try to use flat rate envelopes when ever possible. It is amazing what can be stuffed in one. The padded envelopes are good for so many things. For smaller packages it is still less then UPS or FeEx. I am always checking all 3 just in case there are changes that make a big difference on shipping. I have also checked on how much I can get something delivered via Uber and Lyft. Some times this pays or even asking to pay a neighbor if it only has to go across town within 30-40 miles. I just saying there are so many options. I prefer the USPS and the pickup at home is great. and I can print my labels at home and pack and go.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:51 AM

My great great grandfather sent a letter from Council Bluffs, IA. to his folks in PA. in 1853, and it cost him .50. He was going to CA. to find gold. So, at todays prices can you imagine what that would cost?
Old 11-22-2020, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I mailed 2 5inch squares of fabric from Canada to the US to a member who was desperate to finish a quilt. It cost $5.00.