Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   1960s Marriage Guidance! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/1960s-marriage-guidance-t28545.html)

amma 11-12-2009 12:48 AM

Aren't the rules in France different than in the USA regarding this k3n??? That book sounds like it was published here.... :wink: :wink: :wink:

k3n 11-12-2009 01:05 AM

I don't know about the rest of the country, but in our house, they're certainly different! :lol:

Actually, some of the French men are incredibly male chauvinist, even the young ones! I was once with Hans and a French male colleague of his who had a classic car for sale, Hans expressed interest and I said 'you're NOT having it!'. The French guy nearly fell off his chair and said 'in France, women don't speak to their husbands like that!' Raising his hand to indicate the slap I would get if I were HIS wife! I looked him in the eye and said 'lucky I'm not French then, isn't it!'
His wife is beautiful but like a frightened mouse! b#&@d! :shock:

barnbum 11-12-2009 03:58 AM

Oh gosh--it's actually real? My, oh, my. I'd better show it to my 19 year old daughter--maybe she can do better. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-12-2009 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Oh gosh--it's actually real? My, oh, my. I'd better show it to my 19 year old daughter--maybe she can do better. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If my17 year old daughter even attempts to follow that, I would be the one to slap her!!! I've spent 17 years preaching to that child to be independent and not to take *&^%## off men. I'm crossing my fingers that it will work.

tlrnhi 11-12-2009 05:06 AM

I actually have a book like that tucked away in a box. It's a riot to read. Friends of my Mom and Dad gave it to me as a wedding present. Said I should read it for pointers, then they laughed. lol
I did peruse thru it and laughed hysterically. Called the friends and they just laughed and laughed. They asked me if I was going to follow any of it. I said sure...he might get dinner and I might be dressed appropriately...meaning, not in sweatpants and a tshirt. lol

Esqmommy 11-12-2009 06:28 AM

I read this over 24 hours ago and still cannot find the words to express my feelings about this.

It's funny and pathetic and apalling, all rolled into one.

Thanks for posting K, it's amazing how far we've come...and sad to think we've had to travel this way at all!

k3n 11-12-2009 08:59 AM

LOL Terri- so I take it the replacement outfit doesn't involve satin and lace! :mrgreen:

Esq - yeah, my feminist hackles were well and truly up as well! The stuff our foremothers had to put up with! And as you say, we're still travelling - all we can do is hope that with each generation it gets better. :D

tlrnhi 11-12-2009 09:23 AM

Whips and chains.....lmao

k3n 11-12-2009 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi

You WILL eat that dinner! Lash! :lol:

Mousie 11-12-2009 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

Originally Posted by tlrnhi

You WILL eat that dinner! Lash! :lol:

Hey, girls: NOW THAT'S THE SPIRIT! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: