Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   35mm slides (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/35mm-slides-t107699.html)

nativetexan 03-14-2011 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had boxes of 35mm slides we took over two decades ago when on trips. I finally bought an Ion 2pc slide and film scanner. i put only 63 photos from slides onto my computer today. many more to go.
I'm not putting pics of flowers, and trees, etc. lots of those. anyway, i got mine on Amazon. twenty dollars cheaper than best buy was.
it took me a bit to get it loaded and working but I did it.

me at Great Sand Dunes in Colorado early 80's
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169909[/ATTACH]

littlehud 03-14-2011 05:53 PM

What a cool pic. I love the scenery. So striking.

thimblebug6000 03-14-2011 06:17 PM

Neat idea, I ended up throwing alot of mine away as DH wasn't interested in "life before" hehehe....

Kappy 03-14-2011 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
I had boxes of 35mm slides we took over two decades ago when on trips. I finally bought an Ion 2pc slide and film scanner. i put only 63 photos from slides onto my computer today. many more to go.
I'm not putting pics of flowers, and trees, etc. lots of those. anyway, i got mine on Amazon. twenty dollars cheaper than best buy was.
it took me a bit to get it loaded and working but I did it.

Not sure how to phrase the question so it makes sense, but how many pixels per slide picture and how big do they scan out to, are you able to enlarge to an 8 x10 without being grainy....I have slides also and have been thinking about but have not done anything yet. Are you pleased with your results, are you able to get rid of scratches etc.?

nativetexan 03-14-2011 07:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the photos scanned in quite large into the photoimpressions 6 that came with the scanner. i opened them again in windows live and edited them down in size.
i changed what showed as 100 percent, down 50 and then again down 50. then usually down 70 percent again.
this pic i did down to 55.7kb which shows 454x294 pixels and dimension.
i always make pics smaller so i can email or post them.
here is one of my son when younger.
i haven't played with this a lot. just got it today.

65.3kb @Red Rocks Theatre
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170011[/ATTACH]

cla8655 03-14-2011 07:40 PM

beautiful picture for a quilt

jljquilter 03-14-2011 07:56 PM

I scanned my in-laws slides and then copied them to cd's for them. It took a while but it was fun seeing them "back then".
I only did the ones with people in them. Was fun being able to improve on the pictures. I just wish that my MIL had kept the negatives. My Mom did and they were much easier and faster to scan.

Kappy 03-15-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by jljquilter
I scanned my in-laws slides and then copied them to cd's for them. It took a while but it was fun seeing them "back then".
I only did the ones with people in them. Was fun being able to improve on the pictures. I just wish that my MIL had kept the negatives. My Mom did and they were much easier and faster to scan.

What is the name of the scanner you used if I may ask? I'm presently shopping around and it's nice to know what people have used and how they like it, before I take the plunge and buy one.

ptquilts 03-15-2011 09:23 AM

I use an older HP Scanjet 4370 with a TMA - scans paper and film, $30 on ebay used.
I have a large collection of slides going back to the 40's - if anyone wants to throw theirs out, throw them my way, I will gladly pay postage!!

Kappy 03-15-2011 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I use an older HP Scanjet 4370 with a TMA - scans paper and film, $30 on ebay used.
I have a large collection of slides going back to the 40's - if anyone wants to throw theirs out, throw them my way, I will gladly pay postage!!

Thanks.