Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   about vertifying paypal (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/about-vertifying-paypal-t190890.html)

doll-lady 06-05-2012 11:26 AM

about vertifying paypal

i was wondering if anyone has verified their paypal account. i got an email from paypal saying i was near my initial limit that they set and that they wanted me to verify it. has anyone done this?

ptquilts 06-05-2012 11:51 AM

Yes, why not? Just make sure to go to your paypal account by typing it into the address bar, never click on links in an email like that.

bearisgray 06-05-2012 11:57 AM

Check out if it's a legitimate e-mail by forwarding the entire message to:

[email protected]

I allowed myself to get suckered into responding to one of those several years ago. Fortunately I did contact PayPal and cancelled my credit card before any damage was done.

CHECK IT OUT FIRST!!!!!!!!

Lori S 06-05-2012 12:11 PM

One word of advise .. do not use the link in the e- mail. If its not legit... using the link can bring a whole bunch of trouble.

Prism99 06-05-2012 05:27 PM

My dh told me not even to "hover" over a link in an email like this. Forwarding the email to [email protected] is the way to go. When I have done that in the past, I have gotten a very fast response telling me whether the email was legit or not.

A good general rule is never to click on a link in an email. Type in the address yourself if need be.

To be honest, the original description sounds like the email is bad. I have had PayPal for years, and the only "verifying" I had to do was when I first set up the account -- verifying the bank by depositing a couple of pennies in the account, which I think also verifies your address. Times may have changed, but there was never any "initial limit" set on my PayPal account.

HMK 06-05-2012 05:55 PM

It's a scam - Paypal, your bank or credit card companies etc never send you an email like this. Give Paypal a call if you're concerned.

Prism99 06-05-2012 07:40 PM

I should add that an additional benefit of forwarding an email to PayPal (many other companies have the same spoof-type email address) is that it allows PayPal to analyze the origin of the email if it is not legit. This helps them shut down the spammers and scammers.

lonestardreams 06-05-2012 08:15 PM

I've only had to verify my paypal account one time- at the beginning like Prism99. I occasionally receive emails asking me to verify or something like that. They want my user name and password in order for me to keep my account. I have sent them to PayPal but don't respond to the email.

Don't do it!

doll-lady 06-06-2012 12:28 AM

i never verified my account with paypal. i have had it now for a very long time and this email wants me to do what was mentioned above giving the bank account info and letting them deposit a few pennies and then calling them back. i will send that email as was mentioned above.

Buttons922 06-06-2012 03:19 AM

It is not a Paypal link!! It is a scam. If you used it change your password to Paypal, all banking and credit cards NOW!!. If you didn't. just remember what ptquilts said, Don't click on link. go to paypal.com and check it out that way.