Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: about vertifying paypal

about vertifying paypal

i was wondering if anyone has verified their paypal account. i got an email from paypal saying i was near my initial limit that they set and that they wanted me to verify it. has anyone done this?

Yes, why not? Just make sure to go to your paypal account by typing it into the address bar, never click on links in an email like that.

Power Poster
    Check out if it's a legitimate e-mail by forwarding the entire message to:

[email protected]

I allowed myself to get suckered into responding to one of those several years ago. Fortunately I did contact PayPal and cancelled my credit card before any damage was done.

CHECK IT OUT FIRST!!!!!!!!

One word of advise .. do not use the link in the e- mail. If its not legit... using the link can bring a whole bunch of trouble.

Blog Entries
    My dh told me not even to "hover" over a link in an email like this. Forwarding the email to [email protected] is the way to go. When I have done that in the past, I have gotten a very fast response telling me whether the email was legit or not.

A good general rule is never to click on a link in an email. Type in the address yourself if need be.

To be honest, the original description sounds like the email is bad. I have had PayPal for years, and the only "verifying" I had to do was when I first set up the account -- verifying the bank by depositing a couple of pennies in the account, which I think also verifies your address. Times may have changed, but there was never any "initial limit" set on my PayPal account.

HMK
    It's a scam - Paypal, your bank or credit card companies etc never send you an email like this. Give Paypal a call if you're concerned.

Blog Entries
    I should add that an additional benefit of forwarding an email to PayPal (many other companies have the same spoof-type email address) is that it allows PayPal to analyze the origin of the email if it is not legit. This helps them shut down the spammers and scammers.

I've only had to verify my paypal account one time- at the beginning like Prism99. I occasionally receive emails asking me to verify or something like that. They want my user name and password in order for me to keep my account. I have sent them to PayPal but don't respond to the email.

Don't do it!

i never verified my account with paypal. i have had it now for a very long time and this email wants me to do what was mentioned above giving the bank account info and letting them deposit a few pennies and then calling them back. i will send that email as was mentioned above.

It is not a Paypal link!! It is a scam. If you used it change your password to Paypal, all banking and credit cards NOW!!. If you didn't. just remember what ptquilts said, Don't click on link. go to paypal.com and check it out that way.

Please don't reply to this! I did several years ago & my bank account was compromised & several hundred dollars was withdrawn before I caught it. I did get it all back, but at the expense of having to close my account & it took about a month to get it straightened out. I caught it after only a few hrs or it would have been worse. This is definitely a scam. PayPal says it will never ask you to verify your information. Forward it to them immediately!

Blog Entries
    NO, I never answer any of those from paypal or any others. I get them all the time and I don't have a limit from PayPal. If you log onto your paypal account there will be a message area if they want something from you. You never know where those links take you. I also get them from Well Fargo now that they are a big company and telling me that I need to update my account or I'll be locked out. I haven't had an account there in over 5 yrs, I also just got one from Cap 1 saying since I didn't respond to my last email they were locking me out of my account because I hadn't updated it in a while. I knew I'd just done that a month ago, I went to cap1 and I wasn't locked out. If you get an email don't use the link in the email. Go to the web address you normally would go to and log in and most of them have a message center if they want something from you. These scams have been going on for several yrs; they create a web page so that when you hit the link it takes you to a site that looks like where you need to be and you give them your info and they got you. DO CLICK ON THE EMAIL LINK. They also like to do text messages about your bank; I get them from banks that I've never belonged from.
    Judy

I got one a while back, called paypal and they said they did not send this e-mail. You might want to call them before sending your credit card and social security info.

Quote Originally Posted by doll-lady View Post
    i was wondering if anyone has verified their paypal account. i got an email from paypal saying i was near my initial limit that they set and that they wanted me to verify it. has anyone done this?

QKO
    Not necessarily a scam. If you use paypal even a moderate amount, sooner or later you're going to run up against their limit (I think it's 2000 dollars) that you can transact without linking and verifying your account.

If you've never done that you'll need to do it once. Many people do it when they first set up the account.

Like others have said - don't go there from a link in an email, log in to your account on paypal directly.

Here's a video series from paypal that explains the entire process: https://personal.paypal.com/us/cgi-b.../Account_SetUp

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    One word of advise .. do not use the link in the e- mail. If its not legit... using the link can bring a whole bunch of trouble.

This is my policy with any business I do business with via the internet. I open a new browser page and type the address in myself. THEN, I always hit the log out button and close that browser page.

Too many weirdos out there with not enough to do, trying to figure out ways to trip us up.

Love Paypal. I was leary of it at first, a few years ago. However, I really appreciate it. Especially if I am dealing with someone I don't know. It is sorta like have a third witness to the business that is going on between the two parties.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    If it really is from PayPal, then verifying your account has some advantages. Some eBay sellers, for example, will sell only to verified accounts. It protects sellers from scammers, as verification proves that you are who you say you are and have a traceable bank account. Be sure to let us know how PayPal responds to forwarding to Spoof!

Paypal always uses your name in an email. If that wasn't used it's the first clue this is a scam. I used to get them all the time and just forwarded them to [email protected].
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    only go directly into paypal the way you always do. much safer. never click on links in emails sent to you. they usually are spam or worse!!

Do not ever give out that information. It's a scam. I can generally tell from the wording. Sometimes I forward the e-mail to PayPal and say, "Did you send this to me?

i did send the email to the [email protected] but i did call them the other day at the telephone number that is listed on their site and the guy did say that i needed to get vertified. to do that you have to give your account number and routing number. i checked with the bank and the woman there said paypal is good to use as it protects your credit card number but she also said once someone get your routing number and account number, they can get your money. she said it is very scary these days how easy someone can get your money. so now i don't know what to do? i never did get vertified at paypal before. i just ignored the pleas and didn't run into a problem before now but i think if you buy on ebay, you have to use paypal so i would be shut out if i don't get it vertified. he did say, i could still use my credit card to pay but you would have to change something when you checked out. he said i could call paypal when i was going to pay for something and they would walk me through it the first time so i would know how to do it.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I have never had a problem with PayPal (and yes I am verified, so they do have my bank and routing numbers).

However, one of the people I work with did have an issue and she did have some money stolen out of her bank account via PayPal. They did return her money, but it took a few days for PayPal to do that.

My advice is to go ahead and get verified, but you might want to see if you can get a free bank account that you use ONLY for PayPal, and only keep a little money in it. That way your potential losses are limited.

FF is correct - I just switched my bank account to one I don't keep a lot of money in.

Paypal has been known to "link" your account with one they want to get money from - say someone owes them money and PP can't get it. Maybe you and this other person signed on from the same library computer once upon a time - VOILA, your accounts are now "linked" according to PP and the money will be coming out of YOUR account until you fight it. Outright thievery if you ask me. Doesn't happen often but be aware.

Blog Entries
    Regarding using a credit card through PayPal, all you do is add the credit card to your PayPal account. When you purchase something through PayPal, click on "change" where it lists how the payment will be made and select your credit card. It's safer to use your credit card this way, through PayPal, than it is to use the credit card online without going through PayPal.

I got an e-mail from PayPal yesterday saying that I had purchased on E-Bay an "authentic Coach lilac leather travel picture frame" to the tune of $803.48. I about had a stroke as that message looked so real. Called PayPal and they assured me that it was indeed a bogus message. Sure had my heart pounding. What is with these people that do things like that? They should get a life!!

they should get a life and not ours. someone charged a 500 dollar prom dress to my credit card and the credit card people called me to see if i had done that and i told them no so they investigated and all and took care of everything for me. the charge had been done online.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast