Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   acronyms (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/acronyms-t260829.html)

Trisher 02-06-2015 05:02 AM

I am a retired nurse. I can't look at a licence plate and not come up with something that 'stands for' something medical!

For example: BCP (birth control pills) SOB (no, not what you're thinking - shortness of breath) DVT (deep vein thrombosis)

As has been previously mentioned, we put these acronyms into a context that is familiar to us (IT, military, medical field etc). I don't get my panties in a bunch - it is kinda fun to guess what everybody means - and I too am at a stage where I don't care if I seem dumb cause I don't get it!

coopah 02-06-2015 05:21 AM

Cc can also mean 'carbon copy.' Yes, tired of acronyms...people are in such a hurry to get things done these days, I guess.

Dodie 02-06-2015 05:55 AM

Edie I agree with everything you just said sometimes I think they want the kids of today to be dummys they cannot even do math any more they are even taking the American history out of the schools

youngduncan 02-06-2015 05:58 AM

As a former English teacher, I must say that you are all "preaching to the choir." I try to maintain a good vocabulary and definitely attempt to use the best written and spoken language that I can. There is nothing wrong with having a good education and using it whenever and wherever possible.

Stitchit123 02-06-2015 06:01 AM

My son and I converse over the computer-have been for several years. He use to know how to spell. Since texting became popular I feel like I'm trying to figure out cave drawings. We all have our own kind of shorthand while typing. GDs are now A - C or E. Sometimes I have to write back saying what is this ?? then I get the Oh Mother and I can actually see his eyes rolling as he writes it out for me. lol

mean

kyquiltlover1942 02-06-2015 06:20 AM

I totally agree. I spend half of my time looking up these letters. Even worse, my Dear Daughter has been in the army for 24 years and she speaks mostly in acronmys!

madamekelly 02-06-2015 09:05 AM

Competition is bad for kids? Then I guess the patriots are bad examples for kids? I am not even willing to think about all the competition in the military...
I am way more annoyed by the lack of penmanship training. Used to be only Doctors has lousy writing, now it's everyone under 40!

kellen46 02-06-2015 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by juneayerza (Post 7079090)
You think these acronyms are bad; you haven't begun to see acronyms until you've been in the military. LOL

Oh the military has the best acronyms ever.....SPAM, CUBA, RADAR, OHAU, FUBAR, an acronym for every one, every occasion, every state of being.

JanieH 02-06-2015 11:43 AM

When I was teaching we would frequently get handouts at faculty meetings containing acronyms without a clue as to what they stood for so we made up our own answers. Needless to say, many of them could not be used in "polite company", especially if we had had a bad day.

carolynjo 02-06-2015 12:17 PM

I so agree with you!!! I notice words here like "boarders" for borders and "it's" for "its" as well as other misspellings. I was never allowed to become careless with my spelling when in school. Now, after 78 years, I have a damaged nerve in my dominant hand, and I am embarrassed to say that I often strike two letters at once when I mean to hit only one letter. This has caused me much grief; it is irreparable, but I notice the error every time.