Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: acronyms

Blog Entries

acronyms

Is anyone else really tired of acronyms or is it just me? For instance, if I see "CC" I know it can mean Cubic Centimeter" or Coca Cola or Credit Card or College Confidential or Community College, etc. so, when I see an acronym I must stop and ponder which one is appropriate for what I'm reading and if there are a lot of them in the article or story I just stop reading.

I agree with you.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree. I use some here as others do but sometimes I have to think what they're talking about. Some of the ones on social media are so far off base. I just ask my "DGD" lol, what it means.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Easy to get caught up in.

Blog Entries
    No, CC is my initials!!! I still have trouble with made up words like YAY. i keep thinking it stands for three words instead of Yea! oh well.

Blog Entries
    Funny you should bring this up. When I first began seeing DH, I thought they (who ever used it) was cursing the man they married. Silly me. They were being sweet on their Dear Husband. I don't mind them especially since I am learning to text more since I got unlimited texting on my phone contract. Have to keep up with the young ones.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

I don't even think about it. I work in IT so my life is chock full of acronyms and I guess I'm just used to them. They don't usually trip me up.

I do hate it when people type in "text speak" in regular email though, especially at work. If I get an email at work where someone is typing things like, "I have a file 4 U" I will respond and ask what a "File 4-U" is and why they're telling me about it. I'm at a level now where I can be a bit of an old crank about stuff like that! I don't mind things like "LOL" but 4 instead of "for" and U instead of "you" is too much!

You think these acronyms are bad; you haven't begun to see acronyms until you've been in the military. LOL
    June

I am tired of having to figure them out so i just look bored and ask the speaker to explain wth they are trying to comminicate! . Industry specific ones are especially aggravating if I am not in that world. Wriiten word? At least, initially spell out the words and enclose the acronym in parentheses so, that, I, at least understand the shortcut.

I attended a committee meeting last Saturday and acronyms for the seminary were used......i am sorry, I am not ordained so I have zero clue about the curiculum and the acronyms for the tests. Sigh.......

Just be mindful of the audience who is not in your industry.

sandy
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 02-06-2015 at 03:55 AM.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    We had this subject brought up last year sometime. I do not initial anything if I don't have to. I listen to my son the IT/CIO which I know is a title or two, but I just say he works for a company and he is their computer go to person.

When I was growing up -- I am going to age you now -- we had spelling bees. I loved them. I was always top speller, because my mother wanted to make sure I knew not only what the word meant, but how to use it and most importantly how to spell it. What good is a word if you cannot spell it? So, you see on television "sur" "evr" "LMHO" and it is so sloppy and it just, to me, looks dumb. It makes no sense. They don't have spelling bees in school anymore. They haven't for several years. I asked when my son was in school. You ready for this one? Competition is not good for children. It makes them feel inferior. Holy Cats!!!!!! So here we are, they can't even spell "sure" "ever" or "laugh my head off". I don't laugh my head off. I think it is pathetic. Remember SST? Well, the Super Sonic Transport airplane is grounded permanently. But they have an acronym for it.

I am sorry, but the hairs on the back of my neck just flair out when this subject comes up. I let my grandkids know that if they send me an email, spell every word out - if you don't know how to spell it, look it up in the dictionary.

Perhaps we can set a precedence here? No acronyms, no DH or DDIL or GGS/D. I can't even order a BLT at a restaurant - "I'll have a bacon, lettuce and tomato with Miracle Whip, please!

Have a good day. I have a new quilt to work on starting today. Calico Puzzle - it is easy enough, but I am doing it with a lot of fussy-cutting.

Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I am a retired nurse. I can't look at a licence plate and not come up with something that 'stands for' something medical!

For example: BCP (birth control pills) SOB (no, not what you're thinking - shortness of breath) DVT (deep vein thrombosis)

As has been previously mentioned, we put these acronyms into a context that is familiar to us (IT, military, medical field etc). I don't get my panties in a bunch - it is kinda fun to guess what everybody means - and I too am at a stage where I don't care if I seem dumb cause I don't get it!

Blog Entries
    Cc can also mean 'carbon copy.' Yes, tired of acronyms...people are in such a hurry to get things done these days, I guess.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Edie I agree with everything you just said sometimes I think they want the kids of today to be dummys they cannot even do math any more they are even taking the American history out of the schools

As a former English teacher, I must say that you are all "preaching to the choir." I try to maintain a good vocabulary and definitely attempt to use the best written and spoken language that I can. There is nothing wrong with having a good education and using it whenever and wherever possible.
    Sometimes I try to act "normal," but it gets boring so I just go back to being myself.

Blog Entries
    My son and I converse over the computer-have been for several years. He use to know how to spell. Since texting became popular I feel like I'm trying to figure out cave drawings. We all have our own kind of shorthand while typing. GDs are now A - C or E. Sometimes I have to write back saying what is this ?? then I get the Oh Mother and I can actually see his eyes rolling as he writes it out for me. lol

mean

I totally agree. I spend half of my time looking up these letters. Even worse, my Dear Daughter has been in the army for 24 years and she speaks mostly in acronmys!

Blog Entries
    Competition is bad for kids? Then I guess the patriots are bad examples for kids? I am not even willing to think about all the competition in the military...
    I am way more annoyed by the lack of penmanship training. Used to be only Doctors has lousy writing, now it's everyone under 40!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
    You think these acronyms are bad; you haven't begun to see acronyms until you've been in the military. LOL
    Oh the military has the best acronyms ever.....SPAM, CUBA, RADAR, OHAU, FUBAR, an acronym for every one, every occasion, every state of being.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

When I was teaching we would frequently get handouts at faculty meetings containing acronyms without a clue as to what they stood for so we made up our own answers. Needless to say, many of them could not be used in "polite company", especially if we had had a bad day.

I so agree with you!!! I notice words here like "boarders" for borders and "it's" for "its" as well as other misspellings. I was never allowed to become careless with my spelling when in school. Now, after 78 years, I have a damaged nerve in my dominant hand, and I am embarrassed to say that I often strike two letters at once when I mean to hit only one letter. This has caused me much grief; it is irreparable, but I notice the error every time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
    I so agree with you!!! I notice words here like "boarders" for borders and "it's" for "its" as well as other misspellings. I was never allowed to become careless with my spelling when in school. Now, after 78 years, I have a damaged nerve in my dominant hand, and I am embarrassed to say that I often strike two letters at once when I mean to hit only one letter. This has caused me much grief; it is irreparable, but I notice the error every time.
    Don't worry about your typing. I could read every word and I did not see a misspelled word at all. My husband used to get mad at me when I saw a misspelled word. I would even go in the store and tell them. Well, I figure if they can't spell the words, that says a lot about the quality of a product they are selling. Anyhow, he'd get upset with me.

I am 76 and I type like a raving fool - still try to keep up with 80 words per minute. Only problem, you ask? My brain goes faster than my hands. I am trying to figure out how to splint my two index fingers (Popsicle sticks, maybe) so I can pull the needle when I tie a quilt. And keep my left flip finger ( know what I mean?????) from getting another attack of Raynaud's Phenomenon (no dictionary for me!!!!) and my finger turns white and gets horribly painful.. I'll think of something, I am sure.

I want to thank everyone for agreeing with me and the others. I know there is no history anymore and thank God my granddaughter goes to a super school in New Prague, Minnesota where they teach Civics. That, too, is an important subject. I love History and Civics. I don't even think they have business classes in high school anymore. Can you imagine someone (including my granddaughter) who can text but put her in front of a keyboard and she looks dumb. Speed and accuracy tests every Friday. Heck, I even took one year Shorthand. Hated that - Ended up as a stenographer with the old Edison wax tubes that he invented the phonograph on. That was in 1956. No regrets. The kids think I am from way way back when I tell them about the Ediphone I used for transcribing dictation that the bosses used by talking into something that sort of looked like a hearing trumpet!!!!! These kids are missing out on so much.

Enough. I have to get back to my sewing.

Have a great weekend. Edie
    Last edited by Edie; 02-06-2015 at 12:34 PM.
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Ah...the good old days of the dictaphone, Gregg & Pitman shorthand, manual typewriters, the IBM Selectrics, rotary dial telephones, adding machines with tapes, non-computerized cash registers, grocery clerks who added up your bill on brown paper bags without using a calculator...I could go on and on...and to think, I'm only 59 and miss some of these things!

Yes, misspelling is one of my pet peeves. When did it become a law that if a word ends in "S" it MUST have an apostrophe in front of it?

BTW, HAND....(By the way, have a nice day!)
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
    ...or work in the healthcare industry, construction industry or just about any industry or area of specialized whatever. i am a R.N. who married an Engineer, who reared a son who is a Software Engineer (that speaks very little english as you and i would know it) & we all laugh as we "interpret" for fam & friends

acronyms - for many it's just a way of life.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I don't really care if they use acronyms as long as they are specific to what we are talking about. Sometimes I think they make that stuff up on the fly because it makes absolutely no sense when using it in that particular context.

you all make me feel so normal now . My children give me a slight teasing at times not knowing the texting lingo. I sent my grandchild My first selfie with my headlamp readers on which I need at times to reverse sew. All the kids reaction was interesting to say the least--they don't sew. It certainly was teehee moment.
    loving kentucky life and working for airplane tickets to fly to san diego lots and lots

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast