acronyms

Old 02-06-2015, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I so agree with you!!! I notice words here like "boarders" for borders and "it's" for "its" as well as other misspellings. I was never allowed to become careless with my spelling when in school. Now, after 78 years, I have a damaged nerve in my dominant hand, and I am embarrassed to say that I often strike two letters at once when I mean to hit only one letter. This has caused me much grief; it is irreparable, but I notice the error every time.
Don't worry about your typing. I could read every word and I did not see a misspelled word at all. My husband used to get mad at me when I saw a misspelled word. I would even go in the store and tell them. Well, I figure if they can't spell the words, that says a lot about the quality of a product they are selling. Anyhow, he'd get upset with me.

I am 76 and I type like a raving fool - still try to keep up with 80 words per minute. Only problem, you ask? My brain goes faster than my hands. I am trying to figure out how to splint my two index fingers (Popsicle sticks, maybe) so I can pull the needle when I tie a quilt. And keep my left flip finger ( know what I mean?????) from getting another attack of Raynaud's Phenomenon (no dictionary for me!!!!) and my finger turns white and gets horribly painful.. I'll think of something, I am sure.

I want to thank everyone for agreeing with me and the others. I know there is no history anymore and thank God my granddaughter goes to a super school in New Prague, Minnesota where they teach Civics. That, too, is an important subject. I love History and Civics. I don't even think they have business classes in high school anymore. Can you imagine someone (including my granddaughter) who can text but put her in front of a keyboard and she looks dumb. Speed and accuracy tests every Friday. Heck, I even took one year Shorthand. Hated that - Ended up as a stenographer with the old Edison wax tubes that he invented the phonograph on. That was in 1956. No regrets. The kids think I am from way way back when I tell them about the Ediphone I used for transcribing dictation that the bosses used by talking into something that sort of looked like a hearing trumpet!!!!! These kids are missing out on so much.

Enough. I have to get back to my sewing.

Have a great weekend. Edie

Last edited by Edie; 02-06-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:48 PM

Ah...the good old days of the dictaphone, Gregg & Pitman shorthand, manual typewriters, the IBM Selectrics, rotary dial telephones, adding machines with tapes, non-computerized cash registers, grocery clerks who added up your bill on brown paper bags without using a calculator...I could go on and on...and to think, I'm only 59 and miss some of these things!

Yes, misspelling is one of my pet peeves. When did it become a law that if a word ends in "S" it MUST have an apostrophe in front of it?

BTW, HAND....(By the way, have a nice day!)
Old 02-06-2015, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
You think these acronyms are bad; you haven't begun to see acronyms until you've been in the military. LOL
...or work in the healthcare industry, construction industry or just about any industry or area of specialized whatever. i am a R.N. who married an Engineer, who reared a son who is a Software Engineer (that speaks very little english as you and i would know it) & we all laugh as we "interpret" for fam & friends

acronyms - for many it's just a way of life.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:10 PM

I don't really care if they use acronyms as long as they are specific to what we are talking about. Sometimes I think they make that stuff up on the fly because it makes absolutely no sense when using it in that particular context.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:21 PM

you all make me feel so normal now . My children give me a slight teasing at times not knowing the texting lingo. I sent my grandchild My first selfie with my headlamp readers on which I need at times to reverse sew. All the kids reaction was interesting to say the least--they don't sew. It certainly was teehee moment.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:51 AM

I have been awake since one o'clock thinking about acronyms, etcetera and I noted some more machines that we worked on back when and I remembered learning - the Comptometer. Google it! I swear the picture they show, circa 1899, I learned on. After I got out of high school I never saw one again.

I have come to the conclusion that we are the normal ones. I don't have a camera that I can take a selfie with. I just look in the mirror every morning and I think "Oh,My Goodness, I am looking at my mother!!!!!!! I hate cell phones. I got one about ten years ago, and every January I go to the Mobile I store and give them $10.00 and they give me a few minutes. That lasts the year. If I go out of town (between 85 and 110 miles), I take it with me. Otherwise, it is plugged in on my cupboard that holds fabric. There is nothing in this world short of an emergency that I would ever use a cellphone, or whatever they call them now and if God had meant for us to be walking around texting and talking on the phone, He would have put a finger in our ear. I do like my computer, however. It keeps my paid bills in order, it keeps my quilts and patterns in order, it keeps my photographs that go back 76 years in order and it saves on stamps!!!!!! I can email my sisters and get a reply in ten minutes - You can't beat that with a spoon. And in this day and age that the three of us are, the faster I can type and get my information from Point A to Point B and back again, the sooner I can forget about it! And, also, too, I can type in notes to myself and keep track of that. I have Post-It NOtes all over the house I pin my patterns with a note, I have notes on the bathroom mirror, computer screen, refrigerator, car, bedroom (be sure at watch such and such at 8:00 - Channel 5 on the tv.

I think that covers acronyms doesn't it?????? Oh, I forgot calendars - those little glue-y ones that fit on the tile in the bathroom, the refrigerator (doesn't count the one on the cupboard in the kitchen with the pocket in it so you don't forget to pay the property taxes in May and October), the car, the sewing machine, the porch and the computer. I generally know what day it is (today is Saturday), I just don't do dates very well. The dates just aren't important. Besides I have a calendar in the computer that tells me what time it is, what day it is, and what the date is and whose birthday it is, and when my haircut is!!!!!! What else in this world do I need?

Well, today is Saturday and my list tells me I have to cut strips into 2-1/2" binding, fold them in half, iron them, sew them on my quilt that I am finishing up, iron the clothes that are still in the dryer and throw the load from the washer into the dryer and remember while I am down in the basement to bring up some soup and applesauce from the freezer. It's all written down, since day before yesterday. Can't cross it off the list until I do it!!!!!

Have a great day - it is supposed to hit +40* today. Yes, I have to clean up doggie-doo-doo today. That's been on my list since December 25!!!!! I am so glad my mom told me that she had most of her fun after 70. Cuz, I am having a ball. Keep your sense of humor and if it takes a few minutes longer to write out the words, do so! Keeps the fingers nimble! Edie
Old 02-07-2015, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I don't even think about it. I work in IT so my life is chock full of acronyms and I guess I'm just used to them. They don't usually trip me up.

I do hate it when people type in "text speak" in regular email though, especially at work. If I get an email at work where someone is typing things like, "I have a file 4 U" I will respond and ask what a "File 4-U" is and why they're telling me about it. I'm at a level now where I can be a bit of an old crank about stuff like that! I don't mind things like "LOL" but 4 instead of "for" and U instead of "you" is too much!
I am absolutely with you! It sets my teeth on edge when I get emails that have phrases like - "how r u?"

I do understand there was a time when texting was more like it used to be to send a telegram and you needed to save characters. Now, though, most texts are unlimited and most devices anticipate what you are typing so you don't need to type all of it. There is no excuse and I consider it to be rude.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:07 AM

I agree, but they are everywhere. I worked for the Federal Government for 28+ years and I had that problem with anyone who did not. I would go to meeting and have to explain what we were talking about with all the xyz's.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
You think these acronyms are bad; you haven't begun to see acronyms until you've been in the military. LOL
Or any government position!!
Old 02-07-2015, 04:39 PM

It takes me a lot longer to text a short message (touch screen is way too inexact for my fat fingers) than to e-mail a long one. I don't miss snail mail at all! Text will sometimes get to the recipient faster than e-mail, but not if I'm the recipient. And everyone knows to call on my land line, not the cell phone because I don't carry it around the house with me and I don't answer when I'm driving. If I have a bluetooth I'll make a dentist appointment.