Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Adult Bibs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/adult-bibs-t247888.html)

bjgallent 06-04-2014 06:53 AM

I have made adult bibs using Simplicity 2687.

tessagin 06-04-2014 07:14 AM

I have a sweet friend who has made a few for her mother and father (in their 90s) and they prefer the term cumberband or dinner collar. Her mother's has the look of a lacy bust collar and her father's looks like a vest one would wear with a tuxedo. They wear them under their light jackets when they go to a restaurant and few know.

bearland53 06-04-2014 07:42 AM

Dimensions are - finished size - 26" long. 18" wide - basically a rectangle - trimmed the edges to make them curvy - sewn inside out leaving 4" opening to turn right side out - little slits on the curved edges to make them lie flat - used sewing Velcro - about 1-1/2" worth (do not use sticky Velcro - you break lots of needles) Lots of tutorials on line - used an 6" bowl for the neck. After turning right side out iron to flatten and run a stitch around the whole bib - really fast & easy.

Probably a nice donation to a senior home

tapper 06-04-2014 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by bearland53 (Post 6744495)
Dimensions are - finished size - 26" long. 18" wide - basically a rectangle - trimmed the edges to make them curvy - sewn inside out leaving 4" opening to turn right side out - little slits on the curved edges to make them lie flat - used sewing Velcro - about 1-1/2" worth (do not use sticky Velcro - you break lots of needles) Lots of tutorials on line - used an 6" bowl for the neck. After turning right side out iron to flatten and run a stitch around the whole bib - really fast & easy.

Probably a nice donation to a senior home

Thank you so much for replying. Need to get to work and make a few bibs.

Doggramma 06-04-2014 09:01 AM

That's a wonderful thoughtful idea.

lynnie 06-04-2014 10:11 AM

beautiful fabrics. bet you could go into the business of bibs

QUILTNMO 06-04-2014 05:48 PM

what a neat idea!!!

ShabbyTabby 06-04-2014 06:48 PM

My DD made 2 adult bibs for me for Christmas. I love them and they sure do save on clothing. She added a pocket all across the bottom to catch crumbs. I don't have a disability that would keep me from eating properly, but at 80 I seem to spill and drop crumbs a lot so the bibs are great.

DebbE 06-04-2014 06:58 PM

I was thinking as I was driving home tonight that I need a 'cover up' (with a pocket at the bottom) the way I seem to spill on my blouses (practically every day). My husband is a marvel at getting spots out, though, bless his heart.

Those would be a really nice idea for little gifts (along with other items) for seniors at homes at the holidays - with small Velcro strips those would be really easy to put on & take off, too.

Sandygirl 06-05-2014 02:42 AM

Nice! I use mine when in the car.
Sandy