Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adult Bibs

Adult Bibs

Made a bunch of these for a dear friend who is 85 & has Parkinson's. Cotton front with coordinating soft flannel on the back with reinforced Velcro closure. I wanted them to soft & pretty. She is the envy of the ladies at the assisted living facility.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a great idea! Did you find a pattern somewhere or make your own?

Really nice thought.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

lovely thought and gesture. The fabrics you chose are sweet and soft.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Great idea!

Heck, I don't have any kind of ailment other than being a sloppy eater so I could definitely use those. Think how much fun you could have with all the different foody fabrics that are out now.

So simple. So useful. So appreciated. I'm getting my new sewing room set up after being in our RV for a year. I might make a few to donate to get started again. What a nice simple project.

I'd also be interested in the pattern ... looks simple, so I should be able to draw one up but a pattern would be so much easier. If no pattern, what are the dimensions.
    I'm with feline fanatic, I don't know how I do it but I'm always saving some food for a later snack .... or all my spoons have holes in them and forks are missing tines or that hole in my chin is getting larger.

Blog Entries
    How pretty! They will be greatly appreciated and very useful.

Just an FYI, when I was a nurse working in a nursing home and an assisted living facility, we preferred to use the terms "cover-ups" or "clothing protectors". We also didn't use the term "Adult Diapers" opting instead to call them "Briefs". A member of the Resident Council who lived in the facility came to us and told us that the residents didn't like the term "Bib" or "Diaper" because they weren't babies. There was a facility wide memo that came out about the terms to be used as a way to protect the residents dignity.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Like these bibs...perfect for a couple of adult friends living at the denior complex.would like pattern or the dimensions.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I have made adult bibs using Simplicity 2687.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have a sweet friend who has made a few for her mother and father (in their 90s) and they prefer the term cumberband or dinner collar. Her mother's has the look of a lacy bust collar and her father's looks like a vest one would wear with a tuxedo. They wear them under their light jackets when they go to a restaurant and few know.

Dimensions are - finished size - 26" long. 18" wide - basically a rectangle - trimmed the edges to make them curvy - sewn inside out leaving 4" opening to turn right side out - little slits on the curved edges to make them lie flat - used sewing Velcro - about 1-1/2" worth (do not use sticky Velcro - you break lots of needles) Lots of tutorials on line - used an 6" bowl for the neck. After turning right side out iron to flatten and run a stitch around the whole bib - really fast & easy.

Probably a nice donation to a senior home

Quote Originally Posted by bearland53 View Post
    Dimensions are - finished size - 26" long. 18" wide - basically a rectangle - trimmed the edges to make them curvy - sewn inside out leaving 4" opening to turn right side out - little slits on the curved edges to make them lie flat - used sewing Velcro - about 1-1/2" worth (do not use sticky Velcro - you break lots of needles) Lots of tutorials on line - used an 6" bowl for the neck. After turning right side out iron to flatten and run a stitch around the whole bib - really fast & easy.

Probably a nice donation to a senior home
    Thank you so much for replying. Need to get to work and make a few bibs.

That's a wonderful thoughtful idea.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    beautiful fabrics. bet you could go into the business of bibs
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    what a neat idea!!!
    QUILTNMO

My DD made 2 adult bibs for me for Christmas. I love them and they sure do save on clothing. She added a pocket all across the bottom to catch crumbs. I don't have a disability that would keep me from eating properly, but at 80 I seem to spill and drop crumbs a lot so the bibs are great.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

I was thinking as I was driving home tonight that I need a 'cover up' (with a pocket at the bottom) the way I seem to spill on my blouses (practically every day). My husband is a marvel at getting spots out, though, bless his heart.

Those would be a really nice idea for little gifts (along with other items) for seniors at homes at the holidays - with small Velcro strips those would be really easy to put on & take off, too.

Nice! I use mine when in the car.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    Nice! I use mine when in the car.
    Sandy
    Yes, this is a great idea! Lunch on the run--would save some embarrassment with afternoon shopping! Could fold up and keep in a door pocket or glove compartment. Handy when needed.

Your bibs are great. You might try putting the Velcro opening a little more on the side (not so much in the middle in the back). When it's more on the side, she'll be able to put it on and off longer on her own. I'm sure all the lady's at her table think these a very nice. You did a wonderful job.

My guild's charity project for the year was clothing protectors. They were easy to make and we made over 120 of them.

Blog Entries
    Like many other folks my husband and I generally take a break from our busy day when we sit down, plate in hand, and turn on our local news or some other TV program while we eat.. Since we don't lean forward over our plate like you do while sitting at a table, one or the other always seems to dribble something on our clothes!! I hadn't thought about holes in spoons or missing tines, but these seem like the perfect thing for anyone!! Not just seniors or children! I have some cute fabric, I think I'll make a few.. Husbands may not think they're great.. But I hate stains on the front of me!

This is so timely! My SIL works in a small adult home with 6 mentally disabled adults. She hinted around that they need some adult bibs because they only have a few and have to launder them so much. I don't know why she didn't come right out and ask me. She has no problem asking me to fix her stuff. I'd much rather make something new than repair something. Anyway I found a tute online and have made a few so far. The next time I see her, I will have a stack for her to take to work. Mine are made similar to the ones in this thread. They are simple to make and take very little time.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast