Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clothing Protectors aka Adult Bibs

Clothing Protectors aka Adult Bibs

I was making a sample for a friend so decided to make a few extra. I used to do the ones that looked like bibs, then saw this pattern for little kids bibs using a washcloth. I enlarged it and started making them for adults using a hand towel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Those are great! Do you velcro the back or make the hole large enough to slip over the head? I made some years ago for a group home where I worked. If you turn up the bottom of the towel about 3 inches and stitch it down on the sides, it makes a great crumb catcher!!! Sure saves cleaning peas from the floor!!!!

Blog Entries
    mawluv, those are the same questions i had. lalaland...very nicely done... can you show us the back of one?
    here's one i made for my aunt a few years ago and i put ribbon ties on the back... i think i like lalaland's top better, though.
    Name:  2014 03 20_0644.JPG
Views: 6377
Size:  135.8 KB
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-11-2014 at 02:45 AM.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Those are great! I want to see the back too.

Power Poster
    Look nice.I also want to see the back - and a small drawing of the pattern - if you are willing to share it.

Remember the bibs for babies that were made from the little fingertip towels that had a hole cut in them and ribbing and they went over baby's head?

They were great - unless the bib got really really gooey.

I need one when I brush my teeth. Always end up getting toothpaste somewhere on my blouse !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I need one when I brush my teeth. Always end up getting toothpaste somewhere on my blouse !!
    Same here! That's why I try to brush only when in a nightgown. Have to wash a lot of nightgowns.....

Here's the back of the clothing protector. I used to close the ends, but not all heads are the same size, so now I sew on a 2" strip of elastic so the opening can be widen if necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Blog Entries
    what an excellent idea! thanks for showing us
    Nancy in western NY
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I think I will make a few more for people that I know. I could never get my mother to wear the ones I made for her - she didn't do the washing, haha.Yours are a nice, simple design.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    mawluv, those are the same questions i had. lalaland...very nicely done... can you show us the back of one?
    here's one i made for my aunt a few years ago and i put ribbon ties on the back... i think i like lalaland's top better, though.
    Name:  2014 03 20_0644.JPG
Views: 6377
Size:  135.8 KB
    This is Cute, Only question I have is about the Ribbon Ties. are they going through the Washer ok? if these are for a elderly person in a nursing home- everything gets washed in a Very Large Load Washer with other clothing etc on really Hot Water....
    Friend who can share your laughter and tears are the only ones you need.

Power Poster
    I was thinking buttons or Velcro but the piece of elastic is brilliant! Easier to do and adjustable for all people's necks. Thanks!

Very pretty! When Dad was in the VA home they used white terry cloth bibs and Velcro to close at neck

Power Poster
    thank you for the back view. using elastic - excellent idea!

BCM
    Great, stylish look and I know that is appreciated by all who use them.

Thank you for showing these. I have a friend who had a massive stroke last year. She is doing okay, but when I visited one time she was wearing an UGLY thing. I have a couple of pretty towels I found at Joanns. I had sort of planned on using a bodice pattern of some kind to make the shoulder part. I need to get busy , along with the baby giftts I am working on. Wish the job would get out of my way.
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Anonymous
    Susan - AKA _ Anglelight

Blog Entries
    Your clothing protectors look great. A few years ago I made several for my Dad. I found seasonal themed hand towels like snowmen; turkeys, etc. and made flannel ties for them as he was fussy about things near his neck. He was the talk of the nursing home.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I turn the bottom of my blouse up. May have to wash my tummy but if I do get any on my blouse no one will see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Same here! That's why I try to brush only when in a nightgown. Have to wash a lot of nightgowns.....

Blog Entries
    These are so perfect. Why didn't I think of this ? I take it you were the fly on my wall watching me eat spaghetti the other night ago. LOL I seem to revert to an 8 yr old. I have to put a hand towel in my neckline or change tops. I will have to make me one. And one for my friends 3 yo GS she has been threatening to make him a Hefty Poncho.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing your exceptionally well thought out clothing protector pattern for adding dignity for someone who needs a little assistance! Your idea is surely one which will spread and benefit many people!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean in Ohio13452 View Post
    This is Cute, Only question I have is about the Ribbon Ties. are they going through the Washer ok? if these are for a elderly person in a nursing home- everything gets washed in a Very Large Load Washer with other clothing etc on really Hot Water....
    the ends are a little tattered, but they still look and work OK
    Nancy in western NY

Thanks you for sharing this! The elastic is a great idea. I'm a long term care nurse, and have been trying to think of an idea that didn't involve ties or velcro to accomidate different head sizes.

Power Poster
    What a fabulous idea. My DH and I could certainly use them, as while we're not in a "home" yet, we still manage to get part of our meals on our clothes, this would be great. Thanks for sharing this great idea.

Great idea, I made ones for babies using wash clothes, this would work great for adults, thanks for sharing.
    Freedom to speak is a gift ;please don't take it from us..

This is such a great idea! I frequently eat while sitting in my recliner (I am widowed) and usually throw a hand towel across my chest. These would be really nice and I would also have them ready for when I might really need them - hopefully a lloonngg time in the future - LOL!

Just had a thought - would be great to take to someone in the hospital that would be staying several days!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast