Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: adult bibs

Blog Entries
    I am trying to get my creative juices going! I got the preemie hats going, the mits, and blankets, crocheted ,of course.
    Now what I do need to get are adult bibs, free quilted patterns,

I am not that well versed in drawing,I also have been looking today at different links but aren't what I want.

a circular top with velcro and a straight piece curved at the bottom. I know the sizes and can visualize it, but drawing it on paper is another thing with me!
    the strip around neck 5" the opening 7"x8" length of bib18" the whole bit of fabric is 39"x40" But I haven't found anything on quilting the bib...

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. and with it raining I want to stay busy!

thanks

i make the bibs....( with a front and baking- unless fabric is heavy) and simply turn like i would any other lined piece. Then press/starch flat and quilt.

here is the basic pattern i use for the Veterns project, i work on....

adult bib

Blog Entries
    http://with-heart-and-hands.blogspot...adult-bib.html
    this is a nice bib, but doesn't have the 'tray' at the bottom. Seems easy enough to fashion that. Just liked the looks of this.

Blog Entries
    When addressing the bibs at nursing homes, please call them protectors. The reason for this is not to take any self esteem away from the patients. I have a hard time remembering to call them "protectors" when I visit in the nursing homes. Great job that you ladies are doing!

Nancy
    Quilter711

Blog Entries
    quiltinNancy I seen this one and did like it, but didn't see the pattern.

Blog Entries
    bluteddi thats the one I tried to copy and dodn't copy the pattern very well. but both are what I do like!

Quilter 711, that does sound good! protector!!thanks!

Blog Entries
    bluteddi thats the one I tried to copy and dodn't copy the pattern very well. but both are what I do like!

Quilter 711, that does sound good! protector!!thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quiltin Nan I did something different, cut & paste, and pattern came out just fine.
    and blu teddi , I need to measure the pattern, so what I am going to do is the paper pattern, ;earn the how to put it on the paper, make the pattern then go from there.

Ladies thanks for your help! I will be working on these this afternoon!
    clothing protectors! oh and is there a place to donate for the vets as well? I am expanding my "borders"

thanks!

I don't have a pattern but I purchase one at a craft fair 4yrs ago and just love it.I use it with every meal.(I tend to wear alot of white tops)
    I could draw out the bib on paper for you then you could add your seam allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter711
    When addressing the bibs at nursing homes, please call them protectors. The reason for this is not to take any self esteem away from the patients. I have a hard time remembering to call them "protectors" when I visit in the nursing homes. Great job that you ladies are doing!

Nancy
    Quilter711
    The nursing home where my dad is calls them clothing protectors, too. They are made from terry cloth, and seem to work well.

Blog Entries
    that would be great babycakes, but don't go to any trouble with it. would love to see it... if its ok...

psychomomquilter/Mary

Here it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We used hand towels and ribbing for the neck.

Blog Entries
    that is exactly the Pattern I am looking for!

Blog Entries
    Call your local nursing home for a bib pattern. They usually have a size and fabric they prefer. They look like BabyCake's picture.I have made loads of them. Usually wanted terrycloth or towels, bias bound and Velcro closures. Happy sewing! They will love you!

My sewing group made these shirt protectors for a nursing home. We decided not to put the pocket on the bottom but to make them a little longer so they would cover their lap. The reason was that it would be easier to sweep the floor (they do this anyway) then to turn every pocket inside out to get the food out.

Blog Entries
    ok! thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    http://with-heart-and-hands.blogspot...adult-bib.html
    this is a nice bib, but doesn't have the 'tray' at the bottom. Seems easy enough to fashion that. Just liked the looks of this.
    Great site. How I wish I had known about this or thought of it for my mother and husband.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter711

Nancy
    Quilter711
    As a person who has spent most of her adult life working in nursing homes, this is the most ignorant "rule" bureaucrats have come up with yet!
    In case anyone doubts me, do a google search on the the history of bibs and one will find that they have a place as the front that was under the jacket, but on top of the shirt in a tuxedo ... it wasn't a negative thing at the height of fashion, and it isn't a negative thing to an adult who spills all over every place.
    Do you see how far we have come in our desire to "not offend" others? Who was really being offended by calling a bib a bib? Some ignorant youngster who one day will call it a bib while another pinhead tries to explain that while pinhead has no problem call it a bib, some others might object and find it degrading - - this is silliness! and, totally uncalled for! goodness! These elders have their most private moments suddenly exposed to all sorts of strangers, even in the middle of the night! Do we really think they care if we call a "bib" a BIB???
    I am almost sorry for my outburst, but I am so sad over watching people have to monitor every word they utter, not because they care one whit about the sword our words can become, but because some bureaucrat decided that the word was inappropriate. The same bureaucrat who probably has no problem using expletives for the most simple conversation - - but, of course, he isn't yelling so it really isn't supposed to offend anyone, right????
    I think sometimes, that we must provide a lot of entertainment for someone with turning ourselves inside out following silly rules that really have no place in the "rule book" - - especially not in America. <wave>

I know this is a little late in answering the original request, but I thought these adult bibs sure looked great! Very stylish:

http://www.outonthetownbibs.com/

All of the patterns print in full size, which is really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tootsie
    I know this is a little late in answering the original request, but I thought these adult bibs sure looked great! Very stylish:

http://www.outonthetownbibs.com/

All of the patterns print in full size, which is really nice!
    Very interesting, and as I looked at the pictures, I was thinking: Those look a whole lot like an APRON.
    Substitute "apron" for bib and maybe the silly little word gods will be appeased, eh?
    and, I was thinking about "bib overalls" bibbed apron (meaning an apron that has something over the top front, rather than the waist/down model) ...
    the only thing that might be a drawback for the nursing home/convalescent situation is that the patterns show a lot of flowing fabric - - something that may not withstand the stress that an institutional washer/dryer tends to put fabric through. I know a number of families who do the personal laundry for their in-house friend or family member ... (always an option for any situation, it seems <g>) <wave>

I was just looking at those bibs at the website that Miss Tootsie showed us and thought: If you visit a thrift shop, you will find lots of cut blouses and handsome shirts - - a snip here and there, turn a bit of hem, and VIOLA! Some pretty fancy bibs could be turned out without a big outlay for new fabric (and, best part? <g> the fabric is already pre-washed) ...
    just imagining here, but if I didn't have to spend all my time pinning pattern pieces, and making a garment from the ground up, then I can spend more time embellishing! and, then I remembered some terry cloth someone had donated to the V A & R committee - - it is pretty wild, but by golly! It would absolutely make for some lively dinner conversation --- cool! <wave>

Blog Entries
    I am looking for adult bib pattern, these are some good ones, but seeing if there are any others that people like.

Blog Entries