Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Adult Bibs >

Adult Bibs

Adult Bibs

Old 10-11-2011, 08:03 PM

I was thinking about making some adult bibs for my Mom's nursing home residents. Has anyone made them? I was thinking about making them with a coated fabric. Would like some advice on fabric, should it be washable or wipeable. They would wash them, but bleach is used a lot. I would like to make them cute. Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 PM

My friend makes these like lobster bibs (you know the plastic kind you get at Red Lobster), but she makes them out of fun cotton fabrics that are washable (not plastic like a baby's bib might be). Lobsters, other fishing fabrics, food fabrics, cupcakes, etc. Bright, cheerful fun fabrics that both men and women would wear and not be embarrased. She even makes ones that look like tuxedo fronts or fancy dress fronts. Be creative and they will love you for it.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:12 PM

Vicki, I have made these and have some now for sale. They are reversible and I used to put pockets on both sides. Th closure is with velcro at the neck. I use nice and pretty cottons. and I pick some fishing and bears and moose or man stuff for the male bibs. If you want my pattern, it is just my own, Suzanne
Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 PM

Thanks you so much. I would love the pattern. How much are you bibs?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 PM

Simplicity has a cute pattern for these. Also, as a respect and dignity issue, when I was a nurse in a nursing home, we called them "Clothing Protectors" instead of bibs.

http://www.simplicity.com/p-1637-crafts.aspx
Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 PM

What a unique idea. Something brighter than what the homnes have now. Great idea.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
What a unique idea. Something brighter than what the homnes have now. Great idea.
Yes this is a great idea, I might try to make some for my FIL's nursing /retirement home. But you know these would be handy to have when we go to quilt shows, looking at the photo section of our board and quilt shops. I know I have a bad time with drool and it isnt because of my meds......... :P :lol: :P :lol: :P

Billy
Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 AM

thank you for posting this, my grandmother uses these and I had no idea how to get started with them.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vjjo743
I was thinking about making some adult bibs for my Mom's nursing home residents. Has anyone made them? I was thinking about making them with a coated fabric. Would like some advice on fabric, should it be washable or wipeable. They would wash them, but bleach is used a lot. I would like to make them cute. Thanks
There's been some good discussions ont this subject in previous threads. Try the search function above.

A few things I remember
* for dignity, do not call them "bibs" ... forget what the PC word is!
* check with the facility before making as to what fabrics have worked best in the past from the usage perspective; also that are acceptable for their laundering process
* "coated", rubberized, plastics, etc. while good in a home setting, usually will not withstand the heat of the washing/drying standards in institutional laundry requirements.

It's a wonderful thought and I hope you will make them. Just be sure to check it all out before you get to work, so you can avoid disappointments that may happen if you don't.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:47 AM

My sewing buddy made the bibs using towels. They worked great for her mother.