Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Adult Bibs >

Adult Bibs

Adult Bibs

Old 10-12-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by sewgull
My sewing buddy made the bibs using towels. They worked great for her mother.
I worked in a nursing home and towels did work the best. They would sew a yoke and attach it to the one end of a towel. I have also seen women use these when baking. Always had the towel handy to wipe your hands on.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:24 AM

I made some for a friend's MIL. I call them aprons-instead of Adult Clothing Protectors-because I think they look a bit like the old fashioned aprons my grandmother wore.

I made them long enough to cover the entire lap when seated. Adapted a pattern I found online. Used cotton on one side, towel on the other and added a pocket for tissues or napkins on the front (cotton side) and snap closure. They were a big hit and easy to make.

Pat
Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 AM

What a great idea....I would recommend like a little pocket or 'troff' on the bottom, for the food that doesn't get into the mouth and rolls down the 'bib'...its kinda like the stop bumper on the bottom. You could just fold up the bottom perhaps 2-3" and sew the side seams....And yes make them pretty and interesting....I like the idea of a tuxedo for the men, a pointed white collar, perhaps a red bowtie, a shirt with buttons.....perhaps a colorful holiday vest.....can you not picture it....
Old 10-12-2011, 08:08 AM

Do a search for Adult Bibs. there was a recent thread on here about them
Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by vjjo743
I was thinking about making some adult bibs for my Mom's nursing home residents. Has anyone made them? I was thinking about making them with a coated fabric. Would like some advice on fabric, should it be washable or wipeable. They would wash them, but bleach is used a lot. I would like to make them cute. Thanks
I bought some tablecloth fabric (flannel one side, vinyl on other) to make a bib for Mom. She had original just copied form someone else, and made a pattern on newspaper for me. But, I think I found a free pattern, I will try to remember to look.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:54 PM

I used to make them for my dad. Didn't have a pattern and just winged it with a velcro closure and one big pocket at the bottom to catch any crumbs. He was at home at the time and mom washed them alot. Made out of nice sturdy cotton and a couple out of terry cloth.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 PM
SMR

I agree that you should check with the home to find outif they have any requirements or restrictions, but regardless any use of plastic coated or vinyl will not hold up in laundry of the facility due to heat of dryers.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Yes this is a great idea, I might try to make some for my FIL's nursing /retirement home. But you know these would be handy to have when we go to quilt shows, looking at the photo section of our board and quilt shops. I know I have a bad time with drool and it isnt because of my meds......... :P :lol: :P :lol: :P

Billy
Good thinking Billy :)
Old 10-12-2011, 03:12 PM

if you want a wipe-able fabric you could cover the material with a plastic vinyl (there are different weights) and then there is flannel backed fabric (not sure of the same) but have used to cover out-door furniture....When I was a child I use to use that fabric/flannel backed plastic type fabric for something called a "sit-upon" from Girl Scouts...I think it is table cloth material/fabric....the other Item I have used was shower curtain lining that you could get inexpensively...I always put a soft fabric on the back, and make them attractive in pretty colors...
hope it helps.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:19 PM

My brother-in-law wears a white chefs apron when he is eating lunch at home because he is always on call (he is a realtor) and food seems to gravitate to his tie and shirt. It is much easier to wash an apron that a dress/tie. I wonder how an apron would work? It would protect their laps too

Originally Posted by fluffygirl
I made some for a friend's MIL. I call them aprons-instead of Adult Clothing Protectors-because I think they look a bit like the old fashioned aprons my grandmother wore.

I made them long enough to cover the entire lap when seated. Adapted a pattern I found online. Used cotton on one side, towel on the other and added a pocket for tissues or napkins on the front (cotton side) and snap closure. They were a big hit and easy to make.

Pat