Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Adult Bibs >

Adult Bibs

Adult Bibs

Old 10-12-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
Simplicity has a cute pattern for these. Also, as a respect and dignity issue, when I was a nurse in a nursing home, we called them "Clothing Protectors" instead of bibs.

http://www.simplicity.com/p-1637-crafts.aspx
I use this pattern have made several for a nursing home in our area. I usually make them around Christmas and use a Christmas print. They are very easy to make.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Thank you for your post. My mother lives with me and I had been thinking of making a few for her. The bucket list has grown some more.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

The ones out of soft stuff like terry cloth are the best. The catch the food drips but are also soft enough to wipe a chin if needed. My mom used one when she was in the hospital and it is great for a quick wipe up after eating.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by vjjo743
I was thinking about making some adult bibs for my Mom's nursing home residents. Has anyone made them? I was thinking about making them with a coated fabric. Would like some advice on fabric, should it be washable or wipeable. They would wash them, but bleach is used a lot. I would like to make them cute. Thanks

I would check with the nursing home 1st and find out what they would prefer. Am sure that all homes are not alike. Marge L.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:47 PM

I have made them from kitchen towels. I cut a hole in the neck, use some fleece ( I think it's fleece) binding so it's soft on their necks and then put some Velcro so it can be closed. They can be washed over and over again.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 AM

Hi Vicki. I make these clothing protectors in all types of colors and trim pieces. I started making them when my mom had a stroke and didn't like the ones they were using in the rehab and nursing homes. They are durable and waterproof with crumb catchers. They have really caught on! Maybe you can get some ideas at www.bibitcreations.com. There really is a big need for them.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:32 PM

I made some flannel on one side & knits on other (was cleaning out stash).Theu need to withstand very hot water. I chk with home & they wanted longer to go down towar laps. I made mine about 3".. Had some inexpensive flannel & it shrunk unevenly I can get 2 from 1yd of fabric.. Made plaid flannel for the guys. I had borrowed a basic pattern (shorter) from home & just lengthened it
Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 PM

I really like the protectors that look like fancy vests and dresses. Those would be a great conversation piece!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:07 AM

I was asked to make one as a joke for a friend to give. I used the Simplicity pattern and embroidered on it. It had a fork and spoon and I embroidered "Bring on the spaghetti" They really liked it.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 AM

My mom made some for my grandma out of hand towels. She cuts a neck circle out of one end, then uses bias tape to finish the edges. The bib can be secured with velco, or the bias tap extended and finished off to make ties. The towels are absorbent and washable.