Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Aghhh what works to keep big fur baby off sofa (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/aghhh-what-works-keep-big-fur-baby-off-sofa-t257892.html)

Nanny's dollface 12-07-2014 02:13 PM

Aghhh what works to keep big fur baby off sofa

1 Attachment(s)
Found a new sofa and live seat slip cover and thought I would use them for the holidays. I worked on the love seat....still fiddling with the fit. I sprayed No repellant to deter our dogs from lying on the sofa and went to my sewing room to make pillows.
i come back to the den and this is what I see! Aghhhhhh
what works to keep dogs off the furniture? My DH is an enabler....I am the disciplinarian....nickname "mean Mummie" .

bearisgray 12-07-2014 02:17 PM

dog sure looks comfortable!

Tartan 12-07-2014 02:20 PM

Try throwing a plastic table cloth over the sofa when you leave the room. The dog may not like the krinkly sound of it but if he does jump up on it, the platic will protect the sofa.

nativetexan 12-07-2014 02:23 PM

Nothing!! he considers himself part of the family. give up and either make him a quilt or get one of those pet covers for the sofa. He's so comfortable.
i moved my sofa and now my cats think they can get on it! I put a store bought quilt over the back but sometimes they lay on the cushion too. so I spread the quilt lower. works fairly well.

coopah 12-07-2014 03:26 PM

Dunno about dogs, but aluminum foil sure keeps our cat from going places! She eyes it and goes the opposite way. Might be worth a try...maybe one of those space blankets?

barri1 12-07-2014 04:09 PM

Why not buy a dog house that fits in the house. My guy never goes on the couch. If he's too tired, he goes in the dog house which fits under the desk. It is big enough for a regular size dog.

Cheshirecatquilter 12-07-2014 04:49 PM

I've found that covering the sofa with laundry baskets chuck full of laundry waiting to be folded does the trick. Bonus: When company comes to visit, just put the baskets on the floor and if they are full enough use them for ottomans.

Nanny's dollface 12-07-2014 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by barri1 (Post 6998970)
Why not buy a dog house that fits in the house. My guy never goes on the couch. If he's too tired, he goes in the dog house which fits under the desk. It is big enough for a regular size dog.

We have two beds for the dogs along with blankets and quilts. The Cheeweenie will sleep in his bed most of the time but the big one now and then. He prefers the sofa it seems.

quiltingcandy 12-07-2014 05:11 PM

We had a little blonde cocker that was not allowed on the furniture. He was so good about it until one time we had someone that was supposed to stay at the house with him for the week while we were on vacation, and it was obvious the person only came twice a day to take care of him. I was so upset! (But that's another story.) To comfort himself he got in the middle of our bed and also in the corner of the couch. After that time incident the minute we left the house he was on the furniture. I tried putting his outside when we would leave but he would sit outside and cry until we got home so we had to live with it.

NJ Quilter 12-07-2014 05:30 PM

My experience is...nothing. our solution was to but leather furniture. Granted we have fabric upholstered chairs and the 'little' still gets on those. The jeather is easy peasy to clean. It's still a challenge.