Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aghhh what works to keep big fur baby off sofa

Aghhh what works to keep big fur baby off sofa

Found a new sofa and live seat slip cover and thought I would use them for the holidays. I worked on the love seat....still fiddling with the fit. I sprayed No repellant to deter our dogs from lying on the sofa and went to my sewing room to make pillows.
    i come back to the den and this is what I see! Aghhhhhh
    what works to keep dogs off the furniture? My DH is an enabler....I am the disciplinarian....nickname "mean Mummie" .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    dog sure looks comfortable!

Power Poster
    Try throwing a plastic table cloth over the sofa when you leave the room. The dog may not like the krinkly sound of it but if he does jump up on it, the platic will protect the sofa.

Blog Entries
    Nothing!! he considers himself part of the family. give up and either make him a quilt or get one of those pet covers for the sofa. He's so comfortable.
    i moved my sofa and now my cats think they can get on it! I put a store bought quilt over the back but sometimes they lay on the cushion too. so I spread the quilt lower. works fairly well.

Blog Entries
    Dunno about dogs, but aluminum foil sure keeps our cat from going places! She eyes it and goes the opposite way. Might be worth a try...maybe one of those space blankets?
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Why not buy a dog house that fits in the house. My guy never goes on the couch. If he's too tired, he goes in the dog house which fits under the desk. It is big enough for a regular size dog.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    I've found that covering the sofa with laundry baskets chuck full of laundry waiting to be folded does the trick. Bonus: When company comes to visit, just put the baskets on the floor and if they are full enough use them for ottomans.

Quote Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
    Why not buy a dog house that fits in the house. My guy never goes on the couch. If he's too tired, he goes in the dog house which fits under the desk. It is big enough for a regular size dog.
    We have two beds for the dogs along with blankets and quilts. The Cheeweenie will sleep in his bed most of the time but the big one now and then. He prefers the sofa it seems.

We had a little blonde cocker that was not allowed on the furniture. He was so good about it until one time we had someone that was supposed to stay at the house with him for the week while we were on vacation, and it was obvious the person only came twice a day to take care of him. I was so upset! (But that's another story.) To comfort himself he got in the middle of our bed and also in the corner of the couch. After that time incident the minute we left the house he was on the furniture. I tried putting his outside when we would leave but he would sit outside and cry until we got home so we had to live with it.

My experience is...nothing. our solution was to but leather furniture. Granted we have fabric upholstered chairs and the 'little' still gets on those. The jeather is easy peasy to clean. It's still a challenge.

Well I am trying the foil. The big dog looks at it then looks at me then his "dad". He decides to lie down and sulk. The Cheeweenie jumps on the sofa and moves the tin foil to settle down. Lol

Blog Entries
    I feel like the meanest person that ever came down the pike if I put them in their crates when I leave. So I took a couple old sheets and sewed them together around the edges and an X through the center, this keeps my love seat and chairs clean and hair free and the sheets are easy to wash. It's hard to out smart critters LOL

My DS and DD-I-L have a doggie sofa but their fur baby still cuddles up on the sofa.

We also just bought a new couch and love seat. Our baby has 2 of her own beds and is a nester, she rips things as she is busy rearranging her nest. We bought two light weight mats, you lay on the couch and can set for static or low tone. She is very sensitive to noise so tone works great for her. She puts her paw on the mat it makes a squeal and she gives me the evil eye and goes back to her own bed

ahh they are washable and he is such a good dog. mine sleep where ever they want

Blog Entries
    The pets rule the home they live in and we have to adapt. lol

Doris

I used a large sheet of clear vinyl..the kind that's sold for tablecloth covers...I draped it over the sofa from back to cushions, and tucked it under the cushions...they can't see it, but bump into it ...it bothers them...I made a sort of wall with it...after a while they stop trying and you can take it down.I have a shelter dog that came with bad habits...LOL...but he learned quickly and doesn't even try to get on my furniture anymore.

I don't know about dogs but I know it's a losing battle with cats...My husband too is an enabler..but now his baby Callie will try and nudge him out of his chair wanting him to get up and go to the computer so she can get comfortable. LOL I gave up and just decided we all live here. I sure know how you feel though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a dog that sneaks up on my bed. I now keep the door closed every time we leave the house. I think the only thing you can do is put something on the sofa to keep the dog off. We also use a water spray bottle and they hate it.

As you would teach your child not to touch a hot stove, you need to teach or pet to not get on the furniture. Crate training is not being a meanie, it gives them a safe haven to call their own. It's all in the training.

( I don't know what to tell you about the husbands????? ) Not sure if training is available for enablers! LOL
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

My DS and DD-I-L have a doggie sofa but their fur baby still cuddles up on the sofa
    We have a doggie sofa too and our three allow us to sit on it with them

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When DH and I first got together he already had a fur baby and never allowed her on the couch. Lap yes furniture no. To this day they can get on our lap but not on the furniture. Our dogs shed a lot. I brush constantly and sweep dog hair constantly. One day I came home and he allowed both on the new microfiber sofa. I made all "3" get off the couch and made him clean the hair off. Did I say I hated microfiber? His choice not mine. Not so fun cleaning fur baby hair off the furniture. It floats it's everywhere. All I can say is invest in companies that make the lint roll ups. I also use the vacuum couple times a day and the Swiffer. He does most of the cooking and is finding out just how bad the hair floats. Fur baby hair on his plate and mine. He laughed and just took it off and said "Oops!". I pushed mine away, left and went to a drive through. When I got back, he asked me why. I told him he did it to me. Now he knows why I did it. I'm serious when I say no more fur babies when the last one goes. I love them but I'm tired of constantly cleaning up after them and I'm the one who takes them to the vet and I sneeze often. I have cleaned/swept dog hair twice this morning. I'm tired.

Training!! I had 3 labradors at one time and with some gentle training they were taught not to go on the sofa or chairs, and they never did.

Have you been looking through my windows to see the full laundry baskets? And we don't even have a dog...

Too cute! I allow my dog wherever I am. I didn't start off that way but she stays with my parents during the day (we live close) and my dad started letting her sit with in his lazy boy with him. How could I ban her from sitting with me when he did that? Anyway, she sits with me and sleeps with me........or is that I sleep with her as she gets most of the bed? I get confused!! My previous dog wasn't allowed on the furniture and never got on it when we were home but I came home early one day and there she was, asleep on the sofa!! She was with us for 16 years and I'm sure she took her choice of seats when we weren't home. Anyway, my solution was to get leather furniture this go around and I have a blanket covering the bed to catch any dirt and/or hair that gets left on there. Sometimes you just gotta love them and let it go!! LOL
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast