Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Allergy Free Dogs anyone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/allergy-free-dogs-anyone-t173627.html)

nyelphaba 12-29-2011 07:03 PM

I have two Cockapoos. My husband and son both have allergies to dogs - but no problem with these. In the past we had a Schnoodle, also no allergy problems and a great dog, as are the Cockapoos.

cathyvv 12-29-2011 07:12 PM

Recently read that there is no such thing as an allergy free dog. Some dogs are less likely to cause allergies, but all of them can cause them. Kind of in the same position as you, though, since our Zoe (a dalmation) died about 1.5 years ago. Not going to take the chance with another dog - I only have one or two sinus infections a year now instead of one every 6 weeks or so like when she was alive. We took out the rug and got new furniture after she died, too, and what a difference in the quality of my life.

We do have 'partial' rights to our neighbors dog, though, so take him for a walk now and then and can pet him any time he's outside. Satisfies my urge to have a dog when the urge gets strong...

Jingle 12-29-2011 08:10 PM

cathyvv is wrong, others are right, any dog that doesn't shed won't bother allergies, I had two sets of poodles, spanning almost 30 years, no problems here. They are people dogs and very smart, sure all the others mentioned is good too. Short haired dogs are the worst for shedding.

KerryK 12-29-2011 09:03 PM

My avatar is my most-precious Maltese, Gracie. My husband has COPD and there is no way we could have a dog that would cause him any more breathing problems than he already has. The Maltese do not have an undercoat as most dogs have. Her hair is like human hair and will grow to the floor if not cut. They are high maintenance - must be groomed regularly, but we rarely have to visit the vet except for regular checkups and shots. I don't know if all Maltese have her personality, but she is the sweetest, most lovable little cuddle-bug you'd ever want. She is my velcro baby - she is with me 24/7. I love love love my baby and highly, HIGHLY, recommend this breed.

QM 12-29-2011 09:08 PM

I had poodles for years and know they are much better for the allergic. They don't shed, but they have to be brushed often and clipped regularly. They also must be well trained and respond well to attention. I prefer the larger ones, as they are calmer. I still miss my old boy after many years, but I can't have one here.

jollyquilting 12-29-2011 09:43 PM

I have Maltese and they are wonderful. allergy free and not quite as energetic as poodles. They love to play but also just like to be lap dogs. I have a new one , about 6 mo. and he is really fun.

CindyA 12-30-2011 06:08 AM

Thanks for all the tips, everyone. This is a hard decision! Now that it's getting colder here I'll wait at least until spring to make a decision. We had a miniature Schnauzer when I was growing up and my best friend had miniature Poodles. Her mom was from Paris and they'd have the dogs nails done! I thought that was so fancy. :)

sguillot 12-30-2011 06:34 AM

My nephew who is very allergic has one and they really are allergy free. He hasn't had any problem. The one they have is a black female and she is adorable. I have two that aren't allergy free but something ever happens to these I will get the allergy free.

raptureready 12-30-2011 06:50 AM

Portugese Water (like the Obama's dog) are allergy free. However, since the Obama's chose that breed their price has gone up.

mmb195152 12-30-2011 07:50 AM

I am a retired allergy nurse for what my thoughts are worth. Here is what I know. People with allergies need to keep their allergies in perspective but be able to lead a fulfilling life. There are so many wonderful non drowsy allergy meds on the market that makes living with allergies so much easier than it used to be. No one can live allergy free, so the best thing to do is is minimize the allergans the best you can. Just because a person has allergies, does not automatically make them allergic to dogs. Some people have food, or seasonal allergies, for example. Does not automatically make them allergic to dogs or cats. Very few cats, perhaps the hairless kind, are good for people with cat allergies. Cat allergies for some reason, cause more symptoms than for other pets that shed.

Non shedding dogs are best for those with dog allergies. Be careful of mixed breeds if the mix includes dogs that shed. Some of the breeds that are best for people who want dogs are: poodles, bichons, maltese, King Charles Cavaliers, and shih tzu. There are more that I can't think of right off hand. These all need periodic haircuts and grooming, depending on how you like their coats. Frequent brushing, and periodic baths, with conditioner will help keep dander down.

I personally have had 2 shih tzus, my last one, Sophie, I had to put to sleep right after Thanksgiving. They are wonderful dogs with sweet dispositions, and are very good with kids. They lived 14 and 13 years respectively without many problems. (My daughter on the other hand, has a wonderful boxer with horrendous allergies! Lots of vet bills, as our vet said she is the most allergic dog he has ever seen! ) Funny!

I hope his helps. Sorry to be so wordy. Mary