Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Allergy Free Dogs anyone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/allergy-free-dogs-anyone-t173627.html)

lenette 12-30-2011 09:16 AM

We have a Bichon/Poodle mix. I also dogsit a full Bichon. They are considered to be low allergens. But, when my son visits, he says they still affect him a bit. Then we got this adorable, crazy little black dog whose fur invades every single crook of our home! Couldn't resist her, tho, and love her to bits. (They said her mom was a cocker spaniel, but we don't see that at all. She looks like a dashund/border collie mix that I've seen before.) I'm glad it's not me who is allergic, although in the past I have reacted to a few dogs.

Central Ohio Quilter 12-30-2011 10:27 AM

Bichon Frises are supposed to be non-allergenic. I had one a few years back, and while he didn't cause a severe allergic reaction for me, I still had some problems and we had to get rid of him.

Weenween 12-31-2011 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA (Post 4821601)
Our dear dog died last January and we're thinking of getting another one. I miss having her greet me at the door and follow me around all over the house. Have to admit, though, that I've noticed I'm clear and not congested like I can often get this time of year. (Have just about year-round environmental allergies.) Does anyone have experience with the so-called 'Allergy Free' dogs?

Dogs considered with hair not fur like Poodles,Schnauzers,Yorkies,Maltese,do not shed like fur dogs so they are better for people like that I have Asthma for 2 years and have a poodle,yorkie in our home and I am doing fine with them.

dd 12-31-2011 05:11 AM

I have to agree with cathyvv. I work for an allergist and she tells all her patients there is no such thing as a allergy free dog. While the dog may not bother you it can still bother someone else. There is also the saliva issue. Every dog has saliva and that can also be an allergan. One of our patients breeds Bison Friche (sp?) and wanted us to advertise for her. Dr. said absolutely not. My brother always tested positive to dogs, cats and birds. None of them ever bothered him. You can only do a "sniff" test.lol See if you can get a trial from a friend and see if you can tollerate the dog. That's really the only way to know for sure what works for you. Good luck, I hope you find a dog you can live with. I can't imagine being without pets.

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 4822581)
Recently read that there is no such thing as an allergy free dog. Some dogs are less likely to cause allergies, but all of them can cause them. Kind of in the same position as you, though, since our Zoe (a dalmation) died about 1.5 years ago. Not going to take the chance with another dog - I only have one or two sinus infections a year now instead of one every 6 weeks or so like when she was alive. We took out the rug and got new furniture after she died, too, and what a difference in the quality of my life.

We do have 'partial' rights to our neighbors dog, though, so take him for a walk now and then and can pet him any time he's outside. Satisfies my urge to have a dog when the urge gets strong...

Linn 12-31-2011 05:39 AM

Our dog is half mini poodle and half shiz tsu and she dont shed at all. I've noticed lots of people getting shiz tsu's. They are the sweetest breed I have ever had , they dont bite no matter what, good with other animals and are great for a watch dog. they let you know when someone is heading for your door well in advance. I have also heard on the news of several instances where they saved entire families from house fires by barking until everyone woke up.

be a quilter 12-31-2011 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota (Post 4822007)
Shih Tzu dogs are also allergy free, but they have hair like humans and need to be cut regularly.

This is my little Gizzy Shih Tzu. They are adorable and very playful!

jeaninmaine 12-31-2011 06:08 AM

I have a yorkie-poo and she doesn't shed.

Mollie'sMom 12-31-2011 06:17 AM

I recommend the West Highland White Terrier. I love my Mollie and Tinkerbell and Sam. Mollie is my avatar.

flybreit 12-31-2011 06:25 AM

We have 3 Bichons Frise` and I don't think I'll ever have any other breed! Besides being non-shedding and non allergic, they are the sweetest, friendliest dogs I have ever been around (and I've had many dogs, many breeds). They do have to be groomed but in between they are very low maintenance. They are great companions and are very playful - big enough that kids and grand kids won't break them, small enough to pick up or carry if needed.

Also, there is a wonderful Bichon rescue organization - Small Paws Rescue - where you might find the perfect new family member + help give the pup a second chance. I learned about Small Paws after we got our second one, and our third is one of their rescues (didn't set out to look for another dog - just fell in love with him!).

Plus, plus, plus - every Bichon adopted from Small Paws gets it's very own hand made blanket or quilt sent to it's new home by a group of volunteers!! Check them out - you might like what you see :-)

dcamarote 12-31-2011 06:36 AM

Yes, we have a miniature schnauzer. She has no dander - at least that is what our vet and groomer tell us. She does not shed; thank God and she is a wonderful little dog. They also come in standard and I believe giant size. She weighs in at 20lbs. She is a great little dog. Be aware of one thing, they are clingy. If we go out together and she is alone, even for 10 minutes, it is like we have been away forever. Great temperment; good with our grands and just content to lay on your lap or sit beside you. She is a wonderul little companion.