Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Amazon Free Ship (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/amazon-free-ship-t275982.html)

QuiltnLady1 02-22-2016 11:51 AM

We don't get around as well as we used to so we shop a lot online for gifts. We have prime and especially around Christmas I order enough to and save enough on postage to pay for the membership. I have a kindle fire so have to have the membership and DH likes the movies and the music so we get our money's worth.

anorton 02-22-2016 11:56 AM

Looks like they have two tiers for their free shipping now. The threshold for free shipping for books is now $25; for other merchandise, $49. Interesting.

SewExtremeSeams 02-22-2016 12:49 PM

We appreciate Prime and we save money all the time. The added postage on free shipping is not a problem if you are not in an extreme hurry for your product. I save things in my 'wish list' all the time and then when you have what you need for the $49 total, you can order. Rarely do I need something immediately, so it works for me, us.

nativetexan 02-22-2016 04:31 PM

oh my, that will cut down my ordering!!

JoyjoyMarie 02-23-2016 03:36 AM

Hubby loves his Prime - me not so much- I'm not into online shopping- I just head to the basement and stitch some fabric together.

ManiacQuilter2 02-23-2016 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 (Post 7473168)
I have tried the Prime trial memberships, but it never seemed to be useful for me personally. I just don't order that much to make it worthwhile.

I joined when membership was $67. Quilting books are basically the same price as Walmart on-line is. I am not going to renew my membership since food items are full blown retail.

slbram17 02-23-2016 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7474227)
I joined when membership was $67. Quilting books are basically the same price as Walmart on-line is. I am not going to renew my membership since food items are full blown retail.

I do check Walmart on a lot of items if possible. Only a few items I can't get at Walmart. We are close to Walmart so use the pick up option.

Wildernessties 02-23-2016 03:51 PM

We just got Amazon Prime for $76 I think it was. It was a special. I order a lot from there as many of their prices (but not all) are even less than Walmart plus I don't like running all over the stores and lugging this stuff back home. I buy paper towels and also toilet tissue by the case at a great price. Just ordered a 4 box pack of Kashi cereal for just over $8 and free shipping. That is around $2 a box and no cereal in Walmart is $2 a box. You have to watch for the good prices but I'm hoping the subscription will be worth it. We have also watched quite a few of the free movies on Prime. I had not realized Amazon raised the shipping.

Tothill 02-23-2016 05:49 PM

I am a Canadian Prime member and we do not get movies with our membership.

But as a university student with a son in university, I am very conscious of the cost of text books. So far Amazon has had the best prices and knowing I will get it in 2 days, or have it shipped to my son in two days is worth the membership.

I was disappointed when I first got it. My son alerted me to the Prime Days back in July. I bought a Panini Grill and although we were assured 2 day shipping it took 6 weeks to arrive. I would have cancelled the order, but it was $30.00 less than I could buy it locally.

Wildernessties 02-24-2016 06:12 PM

I recently read that f you have Prime and your doesn't come until after Amazon tells you it will come, then if you contact them and complain, they will extend your Prime membership by one month. Not sure if this applies to Canada.