Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Annoying The Quilt Police (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/annoying-quilt-police-t198593.html)

BETTY62 08-25-2012 06:49 PM

The quilt policy are rude people. I try to avoid them at all times.

renee765 08-25-2012 07:40 PM

I'm afraid I probably drive the Quilt Police batty. Like others, I don't always pre-wash, if I did, I might have to actually use my iron more frequently. I always change my machine needle - when it breaks. Squaring up blocks - only if I can't tell what shape they were supposed to be. Pressing the seams to the dark side - again, that would require me using my iron. I prefer to save the electricity. My quilts are all embellished with cat hairs - although I do make attempts to keep the quilt-in-progress covered by sheets while I am working on it. My free motion quilting is very 'free' - I meander where I feel like it. Hand quilted stitches are not exactly uniform because hey, variety is the spice of life. (No two snowflakes are alike, and neither are my hand quilting stitches.) I mix colors and prints the way I think they look right. Sometimes I even mix LQS fabric with WalMart fabric if I like the way it looks together. Gasp!

I quilt because it brings me joy. I quilt because I like to put love into every stitch, and when someone receives a quilt from me they can know that I thought about them the whole time I was creating it.

sweetana3 08-26-2012 03:02 AM

I left one quarter of a star block in the wrong place "just because". For some reason it is just funny to me.

ckcowl 08-26-2012 03:15 AM

since there are no 'quilt police' i don't worry about it.
i sew/quilt the way i want- making things work the way they work for me- i was taught to be (self-efficient) and figure out ways to make things work- seldom follow someone else's pattern & don't expect my items to be inspected with a critical eye-
my hubby (thinks) he should be the sheriff---& checks my star blocks to see how my points match up- and lets me know when he doesn't like one of my blocks...but for me it is more (incentive) to work at better technique & think about color layout...i have learned he has his own (tastes) just like everyone else & what he doesn't like-sometimes is my favorite...& sometimes it's the other way around. but as for (outsiders) i just don't stress over such things...if i go somewhere (like an lqs) and show something that meets negativity- i generally just don't go back there- lucky for me (& their sales) my lqs is very friendly, supportive & would never criticize someone's work.
i kind of feel bad for you if your (circle) tends to be critical & *quilt police-y*
i make it a point to surround myself with loving, supportive, positive people

clsurz 08-26-2012 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sheila_H (Post 5467430)
I'm with TanyaL they would probably go into heart failure if they took a look at some of my blocks. I won't join our local quilt guild because apparently they are like the quilt police if it's not perfect they won't use it. My family is happy with what I make for them so that's all that matters, I am not into quilting to run to all the shows.

Fortunately the quilt guilds I belong to there are no quilt police. They say "done is better than perfect". If we were all perfect there would be very few quilts ever completed.

clsurz 08-26-2012 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Latrinka (Post 5467950)
I never even think about em. I just do what I want to do, how I want to do it, when I want to do it, etc.! Oh, and if I'm not having fun doing it, I just quit doing it!

That is exactly how I am. If it annoys them OH WELL! That is what I mean when I say I live to annoy the quilt police. I don't literally try to find ways to annoy them. By my nature in doing it my way is annoying enough to them. :shock:

clsurz 08-26-2012 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by sweetana3 (Post 5468374)
I left one quarter of a star block in the wrong place "just because". For some reason it is just funny to me.

I'm a JUST BECAUSE type of gal as well. Just because I can be and want to. :D

quiltaroni 08-26-2012 05:17 AM

Renee 765 I read your every word and can agree with every one of them

Shayvian 08-26-2012 05:46 AM

clsurz - go for it! Rules are made to be broken, and we've seen many fine examples of that here on the forum! You go, girl!

bglock1 08-26-2012 06:31 AM

I distract them with coffee and donuts! Haha, sorry, I couldn't resist!