Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Annoying The Quilt Police

Annoying The Quilt Police

I live to annoy and confuse the quilt police so do any of you here do the same?

If so what have you done to annoy them?
    clsurz

I don't give the quilt police any thought.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Life's too short to worry about it. If somebody's annoyed it's their problem not mine.

Why would anyone spend their time dreaming up ways to intentionally annoy someone?
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I think anyone who has to "nick-pick" anything that is sewn from the heart, with love, deserves to be annoyed!!!! Do you really change your needle every 6 hrs? Do you have that perfect 1/4 in. seam? Sometimes "snobs" need to be put in their place.

I start out with a pattern and it changes into a "freestyle" because I can't (apparently) cut a straight line or sew a straight 1/4" seam so I always end up with "A Sunnye"!!!!!

I've never had the chance to annoy the QP (most people, I know, are awed by anything handmade) but have had a bit of fun, with other pompous donkeys.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
    I live to annoy and confuse the quilt police so do any of you here do the same?
    If so what have you done to annoy them?
    My answer to both questions is NO. Iíve got better things to do with my time, and I think karma works.

Blog Entries
    I thought all the quilt police were stuck in my county!
    Just passing through!

The quilt police would probably have a fatal case of laughter and have to be taken straight to the graveyard if they came into my house. And if they didn't die laughing at me, I would probably roll on the floor laughing at them. I think they are ridiculous anyway. I have much the same attitude toward rules in quilt making as Wassily Kandinsky had about painting.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 08-25-2012 at 07:39 AM.

I once read washing instructions a quilter gave to college students for whom she made quilts...after reading how detailed they were, I would have advised giving the quilt back!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by MattieMae View Post
    My answer to both questions is NO. Iíve got better things to do with my time, and I think karma works.

Sometimes karma works through people.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I, fortunately, have never met any quilt police and hopefully never will.

As I always say to my husband "it's a free country" and we can quilt as we please.

Well, I don't pre-wash... that should get them riled up a bit.

Blog Entries
    About 30 years ago, I had a quilt that my mother-in-law had pieced together, and had it in a big quilting frame in my living room and was hand quilting it - my very first hand quilting. When lo and behold - here comes my mother-in-law and an OLD friend of hers - many hand quilted quilts in their experience. The other lady looked at it and said: Well, I don't think that you will get your toenails caught in the quilting" - so passed that quilt police inspection!!!!
    Nikki in MO

I'm with TanyaL they would probably go into heart failure if they took a look at some of my blocks. I won't join our local quilt guild because apparently they are like the quilt police if it's not perfect they won't use it. My family is happy with what I make for them so that's all that matters, I am not into quilting to run to all the shows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheila_H View Post
    I'm with TanyaL they would probably go into heart failure if they took a look at some of my blocks. I won't join our local quilt guild because apparently they are like the quilt police if it's not perfect they won't use it. My family is happy with what I make for them so that's all that matters, I am not into quilting to run to all the shows.
    My local guild is a wonderful place to go. They freely pass on information and ideas. Everything is upbeat and inspirational. Especially the snacks everyone brings for breaks!

A salesperson at my LQS told me "It's your quilt isn't it?" That means I can quilt it anyway I want even if it's against the rules of the quilt police. Now I don't worry about it. Just go for it.

I never even think about em. I just do what I want to do, how I want to do it, when I want to do it, etc.! Oh, and if I'm not having fun doing it, I just quit doing it!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

The Quilt Police aren't worth thinking about. I quilt for enjoyment.

The quilt policy are rude people. I try to avoid them at all times.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I'm afraid I probably drive the Quilt Police batty. Like others, I don't always pre-wash, if I did, I might have to actually use my iron more frequently. I always change my machine needle - when it breaks. Squaring up blocks - only if I can't tell what shape they were supposed to be. Pressing the seams to the dark side - again, that would require me using my iron. I prefer to save the electricity. My quilts are all embellished with cat hairs - although I do make attempts to keep the quilt-in-progress covered by sheets while I am working on it. My free motion quilting is very 'free' - I meander where I feel like it. Hand quilted stitches are not exactly uniform because hey, variety is the spice of life. (No two snowflakes are alike, and neither are my hand quilting stitches.) I mix colors and prints the way I think they look right. Sometimes I even mix LQS fabric with WalMart fabric if I like the way it looks together. Gasp!

I quilt because it brings me joy. I quilt because I like to put love into every stitch, and when someone receives a quilt from me they can know that I thought about them the whole time I was creating it.
    My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate.

I left one quarter of a star block in the wrong place "just because". For some reason it is just funny to me.

Blog Entries
    since there are no 'quilt police' i don't worry about it.
    i sew/quilt the way i want- making things work the way they work for me- i was taught to be (self-efficient) and figure out ways to make things work- seldom follow someone else's pattern & don't expect my items to be inspected with a critical eye-
    my hubby (thinks) he should be the sheriff---& checks my star blocks to see how my points match up- and lets me know when he doesn't like one of my blocks...but for me it is more (incentive) to work at better technique & think about color layout...i have learned he has his own (tastes) just like everyone else & what he doesn't like-sometimes is my favorite...& sometimes it's the other way around. but as for (outsiders) i just don't stress over such things...if i go somewhere (like an lqs) and show something that meets negativity- i generally just don't go back there- lucky for me (& their sales) my lqs is very friendly, supportive & would never criticize someone's work.
    i kind of feel bad for you if your (circle) tends to be critical & *quilt police-y*
    i make it a point to surround myself with loving, supportive, positive people
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila_H View Post
    Fortunately the quilt guilds I belong to there are no quilt police. They say "done is better than perfect". If we were all perfect there would be very few quilts ever completed.
    clsurz

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast